ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top 10 Tracks to Test Your Sound Systeml

Gee, I have never heard any of this music at all, in fact, I don't have a clue re who these artists are.

Over time, I've developed a list of my favorite tracks that test the mettle of any audio system. It's the music I listen to when I review speakers and audio gear, and it's definitely not the usual selection of audiophile favorites from Diana Krall, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, etc.

Indeed!

Some songs just "haunt" you...you don't hear them for a long time and then someone mentions them...and wham...you can't stop thinking about them...one of those such songs was mentioned by Bright Side recently...and it just brought back some great memories...that song...Year Of The Cat by Al Stewart...I've always loved that song...just something about it...so I checked out some DR numbers and decided to grab THIS ONE and it sounds good...not compressed...just a few minor sonic blemishes...but it's an "old school" CD..not compressed and a great song list....I'd recommend this one for anyone that loves Al Stewart...

The production by Alan Parsons plays a big part in that, too. I have about 8 or 9 of Al Stewart's albums, but the three that AP produced are definitely my favorites...

The production by Alan Parsons plays a big part in that, too. I have about 8 or 9 of Al Stewart's albums, but the three that AP produced are definitely my favorites...

The nice thing about this CD is that it's had NO recent remastering..it only had 3 production dates...1988..1990..and 1992...and look at the DR numbers of the most recent version(92) HERE..it has a few "flaws" but nothing major...and certainly not compressed...vocals are clean and clear...on a couple of songs the instruments sound a little "shrill"..but nothing major...I got a used like new copy for $4.00 + shipping...so $8.00 for some uncompressed music and a great songlist..I'll play this one more than a lot of my hi rez discs....due to the content...Year of the Cat and Time passages make me smile:)

Today would have been Ray Manzarek's birthday..he passed away on May 20th 2013 at the age of 74...Ray was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago...after Jim's death Ray kept the Doors in the national spotlight with projects...this one is for you Ray

[video=youtube;VosTRfaCDfY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VosTRfaCDfY[/video]

Today would have been Ray Manzarek's birthday..he passed away on May 20th 2013 at the age of 74...Ray was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago...after Jim's death Ray kept the Doors in the national spotlight with projects...this one is for you Ray

I'll be playing the 5.1 of The Soft Parade for Ray. Love that one in Multichannel. :)

Stevie Ray Vaughan fans...take note...as much as I don't like box sets I've been considering one for the last few months...I should have acted a year ago...importcds had a sale and it dipped down to $190...now the regular price is $280...more on amazon and MUCH more on Ebay...both importcds and deepdiscount no longer have this box set...it's the Texas Hurricane Set with 6 SACD's...and it's gotten superb reviews over the previous editions...so the price just might be worth it...with these sales this weekend...at Acoustic Sounds it's $238...Elusive Disc $237.99...but the winner is Music Direct at $223.99 after you use the promo code LOVE20 HERE

Gotta pull out my Lonesome Crow Scorps video....this one always gets me...seeing them so young...

I'm Going Mad - 1972

[video=youtube;M6d8RTAZJdw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6d8RTAZJdw[/video]

[video=youtube;DohRa9lsx0Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohRa9lsx0Q[/video]

Ha Ha. Can't hear this song without picturing Reservoir Dogs!!! :yikes

Damn! I'd swear that was Mal Evans in the bowler hat eating spaghetti.

Last edited:
I just watched Lady Gaga's tribute to David Bowie from the Grammys last night, and that just did not work for me at all. I would post the video here, but I don't think anyone should subject themselves to watching that. Ymmv though...

Back