ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric Clapton - I Still Do new release available on a vacuum tube USB stick

Thought this was interesting, if it hasn't already been posted somewhere else. Clapton's new release on a vacuum tube USB stick, contains the album, two bonus songs, a 45 minute interview with the album in hi def WAV and other interesting tidbits.
https://www.amazon.ca/Still-Limited...d_cp_15_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=6TX33VTTN8X9XT6CHEZV

That's silly. Just another way to get people to spend their money. You wanna see tubes - come over to my place sometime:

Attachments

• amps cropped.jpg
    amps cropped.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 132
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Wasn't really sure if I should create a new thread for this upcoming release (since it's not confirmed if it's Multichannel yet) but a company called Analog Sparks are releasing a new SACD of Meat Loaf's "Bat Out Of Hell" towards the end of July: http://www.amazon.com/Bat-Hell-SACD-Meat-Loaf/dp/B01G3QL83W/

Since it was originally released as a Multichannel SACD, there's always the chance that this reissue could be the same. We'll just have to wait and see… :)

According to Analog Sparks website, it will be stereo only http://analogspark.com/products/meat-loaf-bat-out-of-hell-sacd-coming-soon?variant=21660392199

Well, with Giles Martin seemingly the mixer of all things Beatle...for sure any future surround of that band won't be worth the plastic it's recorded on. I know that's harsh but my point is that for me that makes Hendrix the new holy grail of high-res surround.

While we'd ALL love nothing more than Jimi in surround, I don't think any of his albums were multitracked....we're talking late 60's here. Perhaps 4 tracks, at most. Perhaps a Steve Wilson could pull a few tricks out of his multitalented hat but you know how the 'early' Beatles sounded on LOVE and Criterion's A Hard Day's Night from their early four track masters.....basically double stereo!

The Hendrix catalog while being remastered and distributed by SONY is now owned by the Hendrix family so I'm sure they'd need their permission to do any mch fiddling with his catalogue. But as always, NEVER say NEVER!

Ironically, NONE of Jimi's recordings have ever been issued on a high res physical disc format. SHAME on the powers that be.

While we'd ALL love nothing more than Jimi in surround, I don't think any of his albums were multitracked....we're talking late 60's here. Perhaps 4 tracks, at most. Perhaps a Steve Wilson could pull a few tricks out of his multitalented hat but you know how the 'early' Beatles sounded on LOVE and Criterion's A Hard Day's Night from their early four track masters.....basically double stereo!
So what' your point? Early Beatles were 63 - 64. Are you Experienced was 1967 (the year SW was born, but I digress); the same year as Stg. Pepper. LOVE has lots of great mid-Beatle stuff and the 5.1's from Abbey Road are stunning. Hendrix was recording until 1970. Wouldn't there be at least some 8 track masters of something somewhere.

So what' your point? Early Beatles were 63 - 64. Are you Experienced was 1967 (the year SW was born, but I digress); the same year as Stg. Pepper. LOVE has lots of great mid-Beatle stuff and the 5.1's from Abbey Road are stunning. Hendrix was recording until 1970. Wouldn't there be at least some 8 track masters of something somewhere.

My point being you basically have three musicians in a studio and there's really not much you can do with multitracking [surround sound was hardly a priority at the time]........but Hendrix's guitar alone could create a cacaphony of sound which I personally would LOVE hearing extended into the rear channels. I'm sure with current technology some wizard could extract miracles from these masters. But I'm also surprised when Warner/Reprise owned the Hendrix catalog and commenced with their DVD~A catalog that Hendrix should've been at the top of their MUST DO list.....but sadly, NOT. Perhaps because at the time they didn't have much to work with to do a convincing 5.1 remix (MY guess).

Some interesting info about the recording of Axis: Bold As Love https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis:_Bold_as_Love

Will it glow when stuck in?

Well, if we assume that your average dirt-common 12AX7 tube needs about 300 mA (0.3 Amps) @ 6 volts to light the filaments, and I think a USB jack is good for about 500 mA @ 5V, the voltage would be a little low, but there's certainly enough current available and oh my God what am I talking about.

The Hendrix catalog while being remastered and distributed by SONY is now owned by the Hendrix family so I'm sure they'd need their permission to do any mch fiddling with his catalogue. But as always, NEVER say NEVER!

Ironically, NONE of Jimi's recordings have ever been issued on a high res physical disc format. SHAME on the powers that be.

Yes, Jimi in surround would be Outadisworld...
and yes , IIRC Jimi's stuff were "Multitrcked", as in 4 tracks mixed down to one and so on, that is how the "Love" DVD was made, but the problem(s) would be; how are the reels holding up? and what they chose to mix down....

Anyway we all know that the "good" pressings of Electric Ladyland which didn't correct the phase (Jimi actually WROTE on the boxes "Please do not correct phase"), are the earliest experiments in "Surround"...try it in DPL II and it's almost discrete!!!

That's silly. Just another way to get people to spend their money. You wanna see tubes - come over to my place sometime:

Now I miss changing the tubes in my guitar amps! good ol' Mesa Boogie :upthumb

Yes, Jimi in surround would be Outadisworld...
and yes , IIRC Jimi's stuff were "Multitrcked", as in 4 tracks mixed down to one and so on, that is how the "Love" DVD was made, but the problem(s) would be; how are the reels holding up? and what they chose to mix down....

Anyway we all know that the "good" pressings of Electric Ladyland which didn't correct the phase (Jimi actually WROTE on the boxes "Please do not correct phase"), are the earliest experiments in "Surround"...try it in DPL II and it's almost discrete!!!

Actually, Kap, I was playing the SONY remastered RBCD of Axis Bold As Love tonight and it really sounded great. Better than that old vinyl in my collection EVER sounded. Until they attempt to remix Hendrix into 4.0 or whatever, I will play Electric Ladyland (remastered SONY version with bonus DVD) tonight and put it on DSP SUPER surround mode. I'm sure all that out of phase info will spread to the rears.......:51banana: [Well, NOT quite]

Back