HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - TRILOGY [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake & Palmer - TRILOGY

• Total voters
I was able to listen to my copy today...first time. While I love the album, and generally love the surround sound display, I find the vocals so distant at times. I know, I know. whatever.

I feel inclined to give this an 8. So happy to have it and it's a killer set of songs and does sound good....just not great IMO.

I haven't gone back to listen, but I recall the vocals in the original stereo mix often sounding "distant." So it does not surprise me that they sound distant in this 5.1 mix; but he probably should have brought the levels up a bit as the surround presentation seems to augment the effect of that distance. Juicing up the center channel by 3 dB helps a bit.

Further listening has revealed to me something that sounds like a bit of a glitch, at the start of "From The Beginning". Near the 26 second mark it appears the finger picking guitar skips for a tiny fraction of a second. It appears on both versions of the song. Wonder if anyone else has noticed it. Is it a digital glitch, or is it in the source material? I can't tell for sure.
Speaking of the alternate version of "From The Beginning", the alternate version is exactly the same version, but with a different keyboard solo put in. And personally, that alternative solo sounds more like a practice run to me, but that's probably because I am so used to hearing the original solo. :phones

Also, I agree that the 5.1 mix reveals some inherent sloppiness in the playing. Carl Palmer's drumming displays some, at times, trouble with holding on to patterns and time. I noticed that mainly in the lengthy keyboard section in Trilogy. He seems to struggle a bit keeping the rhythm tight. He never really was one of the best timekeepers in the world, and his virtuosity sometimes got the better of him. But charming it was!

Still, I am really enjoying this remix and I am only nit picking... And i just love the little vocal harmonies that have been brought out more! Greg sure did have a sweet voice.

Further listening has revealed to me something that sounds like a bit of a glitch, at the start of "From The Beginning". Near the 26 second mark it appears the finger picking guitar skips for a tiny fraction of a second. It appears on both versions of the song. Wonder if anyone else has noticed it. Is it a digital glitch, or is it in the source material? I can't tell for sure.
Speaking of the alternate version of "From The Beginning", the alternate version is exactly the same version, but with a different keyboard solo put in. And personally, that alternative solo sounds more like a practice run to me, but that's probably because I am so used to hearing the original solo. :phones

Also, I agree that the 5.1 mix reveals some inherent sloppiness in the playing. Carl Palmer's drumming displays some, at times, trouble with holding on to patterns and time. I noticed that mainly in the lengthy keyboard section in Trilogy. He seems to struggle a bit keeping the rhythm tight. He never really was one of the best timekeepers in the world, and his virtuosity sometimes got the better of him. But charming it was!

Still, I am really enjoying this remix and I am only nit picking... And i just love the little vocal harmonies that have been brought out more! Greg sure did have a sweet voice.

Jesus H Christ, you are worse than me :D

I don't mind things not being quite perfect, as long as the sound is not compressed to hell.

Jesus H Christ, you are worse than me :D

I don't mind things not being quite perfect, as long as the sound is not compressed to hell.

Haha, must be a flaw in my character, Mr Keenly :D

And yes, music needs room to breath. And Trilogy b-r-e-a-t-h-s!
Very pleased with it. So, a solid 9 from me.

No glitch, the guitar has always rushed that downbeat.

Yes it almost sounds like a skip , if you compare it to the original it sounds like a different take or if it had a direct feed and a room mic , its only the direct feed your hearing , any way its still great to have and glad the trains a rollin !

Best explanation for why that moment on the remix of "From the Beginning" sounds the way it does.
On the remix, Carl's percussion enters with Greg's acoustic guitar on the first iteration of the riff, but on the original mix it doesn't enter until the second iteration right before the vocal comes in.
They probably brought it in that way on the original mix once the tempo and feel was firmly established between Greg and Carl, and I guess Jakko didn't quite echo that practice for the remix.

Unless I've missed it somewhere in this thread, I'm surprised that no one has specifically called out the extra bars include in the new mix of 'Living Sin' that were edited out of the original version. Interesting tidbit but was probably best decision to tighten it up for the original release.

I deliberately skipped out talking about the remixes of "Living Sin" (or SUN according to the booklet ;) ) so as not to spoil the surprises, but it's been a few weeks now, so here's what's up with the remixes:

First off, there's definitely an additional vocal line around 0:23 that wasn't used in the original mix. However, listen very closely to the original mix and you'll hear a faint glimpse of it through the reverb. My guess is that while doing the final mix pass, they muted the direct vocal track right there but not the reverb, which is why you can still hear a faint trickle of it on the original mix. Kudos to Jakko for this inclusion!
Then around 2:14 on the remix is where the real fun begins. For the first time ever (I think) we finally have a chance to hear what they were actually playing in that section before the vocal reenters around 2:25. Now go back and listen to the original mix. Right around 2:14 there is an audible edit back to 0:53 with Greg Lake's vocal ("Can't you see through…"), and then the edit out point occurs at around 2:25.

The editing on the original mix most likely occurred after it was mixed and was the result of a production decision by Greg, so once again, kudos to Jakko for getting that extra bit of material out there!

One last fun fact about these bigger differences (as there are smaller differences but won't go into those now) is that the symmetry of the edited section on the original mix perfectly matches the length of the original music played and found in the remix. Count for yourself to hear what I'm talking about! :)

I deliberately skipped out talking about the remixes of "Living Sin" (or SUN according to the booklet ;) ) so as not to spoil the surprises, but it's been a few weeks now, so here's what's up with the remixes:

First off, there's definitely an additional vocal line around 0:23 that wasn't used in the original mix. However, listen very closely to the original mix and you'll hear a faint glimpse of it through the reverb. My guess is that while doing the final mix pass, they muted the direct vocal track right there but not the reverb, which is why you can still hear a faint trickle of it on the original mix. Kudos to Jakko for this inclusion!
Then around 2:14 on the remix is where the real fun begins. For the first time ever (I think) we finally have a chance to hear what they were actually playing in that section before the vocal reenters around 2:25. Now go back and listen to the original mix. Right around 2:14 there is an audible edit back to 0:53 with Greg Lake's vocal ("Can't you see through…"), and then the edit out point occurs at around 2:25.

The editing on the original mix most likely occurred after it was mixed and was the result of a production decision by Greg, so once again, kudos to Jakko for getting that extra bit of material out there!

One last fun fact about these bigger differences (as there are smaller differences but won't go into those now) is that the symmetry of the edited section on the original mix perfectly matches the length of the original music played and found in the remix. Count for yourself to hear what I'm talking about! :)

It seem that Eddie Offord, or (more likely) Greg Lake was very comfortable with flying in duplicate parts. It happened on Tarkus and here too. But I bet it was Eddie who made it sound good!

I wish wish wish there was some liner notes from, Offord on these releases (ELP and Yes). It would be so interesting to hear his input.
(I wish he was consulted during the actual remixes too}

When I'm very familiar with a album, I tend to be more critical of a remix when it doesn't quite sound like the original. That is the case here for me.

The mix is very good for the most part, but I do feel that the vocals could be a little louder, and the "effects" applied to the vocals are different that the original mix. The "$%#" mentioned by Carl at the start of "The Sheriff" is barely audible, and the echo on the vocals on that track is over the top (IMO).

This was album no 3 I bought on cassette (1st was Hawkwind's In Search of Space in '71), so I know it inside and backwards. I had another listen today to the PCM versions of the 5.1 and the original stereo mix

So its a 10 for the music (I love it way more than BSS, I prefer ELP above that as well), its a 10 for clarity (it was a very well recorded album anyway), the 5.1 mix spreads the instruments round (I don't mind the placements) and I could hear nuances I hadn't heard before, I would agree that the vocals are a bit low, but curiously its a really difficult one to give a score to for the mix. If someone said do I like the 5.1 I'd say yes definitely, but I'm above 8 and a bit but not quite 9 I can't put my finger on why, maybe its the lower vocal level can't be sure (I'm in the keep 10s rare group). So overall I'm going to give it a 9.

As an aside I remember playing it loud as a school kid hearing the "SH*T!" between the drums and instantly phoning friends to see if they'd heard it. I read recently somewhere that Carl Palmer was embarrassed by it being on the recording - maybe that's why its a bit lower than before!

Nice mix on this even though I'm not a big center channel fan, it is pleasant, the sonics unfortunately leave a lot to be desired, whatever happened to the utilization of the dvda's extended range capabilities? That seems to have gone out the window with most of the newer releases on dvd-a or blu-ray (except for the Marley release). Sonically this is a dead fish. The mofi gold cd release has more dynamics than this. There are several places in this recording where the bottom end goes subsonic, most notably about a minute and a half into track 1. its all gone here. Squashed like a pancake on a hot griddle, Too bad

Nice mix on this even though I'm not a big center channel fan, it is pleasant, the sonics unfortunately leave a lot to be desired, whatever happened to the utilization of the dvda's extended range capabilities? That seems to have gone out the window with most of the newer releases on dvd-a or blu-ray (except for the Marley release). Sonically this is a dead fish. The mofi gold cd release has more dynamics than this. There are several places in this recording where the bottom end goes subsonic, most notably about a minute and a half into track 1. its all gone here. Squashed like a pancake on a hot griddle, Too bad

'Subsonic' would be below 20Hz. I doubt that was ever heard from any LP version of Trilogy, or even CDs mastered from the original tapes. But if low bass is missing in the new mix, it wouldn't be due to dynamic range compression. It would be different EQ/different bass guitar level in the mix.

All of the ELP DVD-A 5.1 releases have DVD-V layers too, but be careful with "Brain Salad Surgery"!
The 3-disc reissue is a DVD-A/V with just stereo-only content, while you have to buy the Super Deluxe Box Set to get the DVD-A with the 5.1 mix on it.
For the other two releases (ELP & Tarkus), the three disc editions contain the 5.1 mix on the DVD-A/V disc.

Hope that helps! :)

Or get the Japanese version - that has the 5.1 included.

As far as I know it is exactly the same 5.1 mix by Jakko as the Super Duper Ultra Deluxe Extremely Expensive version... aka, the 12" box set as discussed in the BSS thread. I don't see why it would be a different mix on the Japanese 3 disk release.
Opinions on that mix are varied at best, but it is what it is. Also, I seriously doubt whether there exists a "correct surround mix", as in a different mix by Jakko. Are you sure the 5.1 on the box set is incorrect? Not to everyone's liking perhaps, but incorrect? I doubt it, or has it been officially confirmed to be incorrect or defective? Speculation and wishful thinking, me thinks.

Also, I seriously doubt whether there exists a "correct surround mix", as in a different mix by Jakko. Are you sure the 5.1 on the box set is incorrect? Not to everyone's liking perhaps, but incorrect? I doubt it, or has it been officially confirmed to be incorrect or defective? Speculation and wishful thinking, me thinks.

It has not been officially confirmed to be incorrect or defective, but the vast majority on the forum who have heard that disc definitely feel that the surround mix of that song is definitely not how it should sound, especially when compared against Jakko's new stereo mix of it where the bass sits at a relative level compared to the other elements in the mix.
Thank goodness there are no such problems on this 'Trilogy' surround mix.

Back