HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - TRILOGY [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake & Palmer - TRILOGY

• Total voters
How so ?

There are some albums where I ahve only ever listened to the 5.1 mix never the stereo (All of ELPs I have and Most of King Crimsons cataloges) They are very good and enjoable.

Thankfully i am not a Hoffmaite who want to put down anything that is not teh original mix Mono Beatles baby (when 'Love' is so good in 5.1)

I'm going to suggest that the comment wasn't made in some hipster kind of way.
And also that we're talking about remixes done at a later time than the original production.

Anything mixed in surround and released that way originally simply IS the original album. If the mixes differ significantly, then there's reason to also grab the stereo version for an alternate.

The thing is that there are quite a few remixes done years later that are genuinely so poorly done that they significantly subdue/lessen the experience vs. the original. Listening to such a version first would be similar to hearing a cover version of a song (or a TV commercial) before hearing the original or hearing a bootleg recording.

So you just might want to check out the originally released mixes in whatever format they came in just to make sure you're not missing anything! Otherwise you might find you've been rocking the "radio jingle" version of the mix and missing out.

You'd just think that the surround release would always be the highest quality release based on capabilities of the format. It's just not always the case.
Same thing happened when stereo was new. More than a few albums were remixed by some intern just to sell it with the word "stereo' pasted on the front. It's happening again!

Surround is the best, but if done poorly/crudely, a well done stereo (or even mono) mix can have a larger soundstage and more depth. And that's what we're going for. Even more important are the mix balances and presentation. Some mixes are very nuanced with this. Missing details like that can FAR outweigh any fidelity improvements!

Anything mixed in surround and released that way originally simply IS the original album. If the mixes differ significantly, then there's reason to also grab the stereo version for an alternate.

This kind of thing is quite relative and subjective, isn't it? I'm a busy person and generally have very limited time to enjoy music (the list of albums I own that have only been spun once or that are still in the cellophane testify to this). I'm a surround enthusiast, though I do listen to stereo and mono, on occasion, when it makes sense for me to do so.
If I put on a surround album and like it and have never heard the original mix, then that surround album is original to me. I can enjoy it or not enjoy it, based on it's own merits.
If a surround mix is a dud or just doesn't knock it out of the park or is weird, etc, it is a very good suggestion to check out alternate mixes, which I have done. For instance, I find Birds of Fire to be stronger in stereo than in quad. I referenced the stereo mix because the quad mix didn't totally suit my tastes.

A surround remix is just that - a surround remix, and should not be compared with the "original stereo" mix - what would be the point?
You could compare a new stereo remix to the original stereo mix, but again the odds are high that you are probably comparing the mastering in a lot of cases unless the original version is a flat transfer (although again, from what tapes? EQ'd Vinyl cutting master? (this is very common), EQ'd for something else? - HDtrax and the like never, ever give provenance of the tape source and at the prices they charge this information really should be provided as it is supplied by the label licensing the content.
Another problem with comparing "old with new" is that the old is again often "remastered" (I put this in quotation marks simply because the way I was taught stated that mastering was all about preparing an approved mix for it's intended release media, and not someone's final chance to completely alter the EQ and the dynamics just to make it sound different) although in fairness there seems to be no hard & fast rule from the labels themselves on this one. I have worked on projects where the "original mix" is a flat transfer from a proper, non EQ'd for vinyl source and on others where the original transfer has been extensively tweaked and still more where the original version is a vinyl cutting master, with it's narrowed image, summed bass (anywhere from 100-50Hz and down) and heavily tweaked top end.
Then there are the purely technical reasons things sound different - Dolby for one, as the old analogue NR systems were flaky at best. No 2 sounded quite the same, and decoding on a different system to the one that was used originally can cause large differences in sound - as can miscalibration or use of the wrong tones (an EQ'd & Limited master tape might use a Dolby level of -7dB VU instead of the more usual 0dB VU, with the result that the transfer would sound distorted) Okay that is an extreme case but it still happens & even a dB or two will cause a huge difference in the new transfer, and sometimes within a dB or so is about as close as you can get unless there are also reference frequency tones on the tape master (the machine can then be speeded up or slowed down as necessary to get the tone pure) as no 2 machines ever ran at quite the same speed.....
Yes, analogue sound(s/ed) good but we tend to forget what a total *********** was possible and how inconvenient it is with machines having the footprint of a medium sized cooker and the aggravation keeping it calibrated & maintained, biasing the things properly etc.........and add to this the enormous differences in preamps, cartridges, styli, amplifiiers & speakers and who can say what the "original mix" really is at all.

A surround remix is just that - a surround remix, and should not be compared with the "original stereo" mix - what would be the point?
You could compare a new stereo remix to the original stereo mix, but again the odds are high that you are probably comparing the mastering in a lot of cases unless the original version is a flat transfer (although again, from what tapes? EQ'd Vinyl cutting master? (this is very common), EQ'd for something else? - HDtrax and the like never, ever give provenance of the tape source and at the prices they charge this information really should be provided as it is supplied by the label licensing the content.
Another problem with comparing "old with new" is that the old is again often "remastered" (I put this in quotation marks simply because the way I was taught stated that mastering was all about preparing an approved mix for it's intended release media, and not someone's final chance to completely alter the EQ and the dynamics just to make it sound different) although in fairness there seems to be no hard & fast rule from the labels themselves on this one. I have worked on projects where the "original mix" is a flat transfer from a proper, non EQ'd for vinyl source and on others where the original transfer has been extensively tweaked and still more where the original version is a vinyl cutting master, with it's narrowed image, summed bass (anywhere from 100-50Hz and down) and heavily tweaked top end.
Then there are the purely technical reasons things sound different - Dolby for one, as the old analogue NR systems were flaky at best. No 2 sounded quite the same, and decoding on a different system to the one that was used originally can cause large differences in sound - as can miscalibration or use of the wrong tones (an EQ'd & Limited master tape might use a Dolby level of -7dB VU instead of the more usual 0dB VU, with the result that the transfer would sound distorted) Okay that is an extreme case but it still happens & even a dB or two will cause a huge difference in the new transfer, and sometimes within a dB or so is about as close as you can get unless there are also reference frequency tones on the tape master (the machine can then be speeded up or slowed down as necessary to get the tone pure) as no 2 machines ever ran at quite the same speed.....
Yes, analogue sound(s/ed) good but we tend to forget what a total *********** was possible and how inconvenient it is with machines having the footprint of a medium sized cooker and the aggravation keeping it calibrated & maintained, biasing the things properly etc.........and add to this the enormous differences in preamps, cartridges, styli, amplifiiers & speakers and who can say what the "original mix" really is at all.

Hi Neil,

I needed to repeat this since one could listen to hifi music for decades and not learn all this great & true info. that you have laid out in a single paragraph. Although I play a Lupin Thief on TV, in real life I am an electronics tech for 35 years plus and I can dig all that you wrote. I've never seen such a precise & complete audio "bitch slapping" in such a short space. :smokin Word.

To me, arguing over new or "original" mix is pointless. fact is there has been no conspiracy(to date) to destroy all the various legacy mixes. So nobody is taking away anybodys old records, tapes or CDs. All the new digital 2.1 or 5.1 mixes are is simply sauce for the goose as Mr. Spock would say. Plus they will blow anybody away who has even an average modern sound system.

1970's tape audio was excellent in the one singular fact that the later 16 & 24 tracks tape machines had fine dynamic range per track which allowed for high fidelity group musical production. What was not fine was everything else. The endless cable patching of effects(adding noise), utilizing Dolby or later DBX noise reduction, the evil & vile bouncing down of tracks(adding yet more noise), etc...

I suffered through the analog age. Many romanticize it. :mad:@: But the magical combination of good signal on a multi track tape reel directly encoded into digital and then produced from there is the closest to perfection we will ever have(regarding tape based music). What folks like Steven Wilson & yourself & Plan9 do with combining old & new to deliver either 2.1 or 5.1 really floats my boat. Thank you.

-Edit- Crap. I didn't see this was a poll thread, sorry. I was just memorized by Neil's great post. He needs to preach to us Pilgrims more often methinks.

-Edit 2- Hey hey, I'm O.K.! I voted here, but I've yet to give my $.02 about Trilogy - Here goes:

YES & ELP & Genesis are my favs by far so this is a dream come true. Jakko got the mix right. Every track is about
10X better. From the silent as the grave intro to Endless Enigma to the now uber-majestic Bolero and of course Trilogy itself has such better dynamics. This is a solid 10. We are so phookin lucky. Trilogy in 5.1 is a dream come true.
....and I think the 2.0 remix is the definitive for me. GREAT value here. Stores are basically giving this DVD-A 2.0 & 5.1 remix away. Instant buy for all.

Last edited:
Boy, I hate to be a party pooper. I should probably stop right now.

But I won't, of course.

My first love was The Beatles, from the day I was born until 5th grade. Then I heard "Brain Slalad Surgery" and everything changed. "ELP," "Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Tarkus" soon found their way into my meager record collection, and I told anyone who would listen that ELP were the greatest band on the planet. Finally, I received "Trilogy" as a Christmas present and....uh...I just didn't connect with it. I liked "Hoedown," but that was about it. And I still feel this way about the album today, which is why I held off for so long on buying the 5.1 release. Obviously, a lot of you love this album and to each their own. I voted "8" in the poll because the mix and sound quality are so good. I still don't really care for most of the music, and I think the lyrics to "The Endless Enigma" and "Trilogy" are the weakest Greg ever wrote - as if the first rhyming words that came into his head became the lyrics. But hey, I'll always have the other albums to make me happy!

But I won't, of course.

My first love was The Beatles, from the day I was born until 5th grade. Then I heard "Brain Slalad Surgery" and everything changed. "ELP," "Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Tarkus" soon found their way into my meager record collection, and I told anyone who would listen that ELP were the greatest band on the planet. Finally, I received "Trilogy" as a Christmas present and....uh...I just didn't connect with it. I liked "Hoedown," but that was about it. And I still feel this way about the album today, which is why I held off for so long on buying the 5.1 release. Obviously, a lot of you love this album and to each their own. I voted "8" in the poll because the mix and sound quality are so good. I still don't really care for most of the music, and I think the lyrics to "The Endless Enigma" and "Trilogy" are the weakest Greg ever wrote - as if the first rhyming words that came into his head became the lyrics. But hey, I'll always have the other albums to make me happy!

Bummer man.....but yeah. Sometimes it just doesn't hit home. You don't like "From The Beginning"? Man, that tune just takes me somewhere...not sure where. :)

Dayum - Fugue is pretty bad-ass

haha - you know what bothers me? When I voted on this disc (as I did for 99% of all others), my stereo system was in a different room with VERY different acoustics. My new room allows me to spread out the fronts and rears so I have a much greater spaciousness. At least for this one, I'd probably go a 9 now, instead of the 8 I originally voted. Oh well - that cannot be helped.

haha - you know what bothers me? When I voted on this disc (as I did for 99% of all others), my stereo system was in a different room with VERY different acoustics. My new room allows me to spread out the fronts and rears so I have a much greater spaciousness. At least for this one, I'd probably go a 9 now, instead of the 8 I originally voted. Oh well - that cannot be helped.

This mix is so legit. Very crankable!

Why does From the Beginning feel like it could be an America song to me? At least that acoustic riff...

But I won't, of course.

I guess I can agree to an extent about the lyrics - Greg/ELP have never been the best when it comes to words...I'll go to my pH/VdGG albums for that - for me it's the music and Trilogy is a real gem for me, a bridge between the early ELP and the BSS sound. Endless Enigma is a nice little suite musically despite the somewhat lame lyrics (and really, they are). I love ELP, one of my earliest "obsessions" when it came to music...but even as a 15 year old kid I didn't think the words were what I liked about it...always the music. The vocal bits were just there to put more appeal in between the super Keith bits.

Listened to this again last night and the music is definitely a 10, but the mix good but could have been better.It sounds to me that when the lead synth starts to move around a little, it is quickly snapped back to center front, just when it starts to get interesting to me. It almost like he was affraid to really let it go. Anyway nice placement of instruments. I just wish he would have kept the synts that start to move around continue to move. Anyway just my opinion. Great music, decent mix, could have been better.

Listened to this again last night and the music is definitely a 10, but the mix good but could have been better.It sounds to me that when the lead synth starts to move around a little, it is quickly snapped back to center front, just when it starts to get interesting to me. It almost like he was affraid to really let it go. Anyway nice placement of instruments. I just wish he would have kept the synts that start to move around continue to move. Anyway just my opinion. Great music, decent mix, could have been better.

I know what you mean ..but a SURROUND mix is WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY much more complex than a Stereo one--- we all have our personal "wish list"..."if this could have gone to the RF or kept this vocal in the Front Channel BUT also have done this "reverb/Delay" on this one"....

I get cha...

but

isn't it a marvelous thing we ACTUALLY got somebody..and NOT only ANYBODY'S surround mix...he is REALLY GREAT at what he does ...and some other things too......well. like playing guitar...and some more stufff...

I really admire the SW mixes of ELPs early albums . . . but nothing on any of it quite matches the sound on "Just Take A Pebble" . . . now that's an 11!

As for Trilogy, I love it -- made parts of the album that I originally thought boring come alive. If I said 9 that's because I'm reserving that for some long-hoped-for 10 to come alive: one 10 only to be given out on any of these polls.

Back