HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - TRILOGY [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake & Palmer - TRILOGY

• Total voters
Please refresh my memory -- the original 2ch mix on this (Trilogy DVDA) isn't a new mastering, is it? Just a re-pressing of the last remastering from some years back?

As far as I know it is exactly the same 5.1 mix by Jakko as the Super Duper Ultra Deluxe Extremely Expensive version... aka, the 12" box set as discussed in the BSS thread. I don't see why it would be a different mix on the Japanese 3 disk release.
Opinions on that mix are varied at best, but it is what it is. Also, I seriously doubt whether there exists a "correct surround mix", as in a different mix by Jakko. Are you sure the 5.1 on the box set is incorrect? Not to everyone's liking perhaps, but incorrect? I doubt it, or has it been officially confirmed to be incorrect or defective? Speculation and wishful thinking, me thinks.

It has not been confirmed as 'incorrect'. For now we must assume it's what was intended.

It's fantastic, though I can't stand that echo on "The Sheriff". Why doing that? "ELPJ" BSS 2014 also had that nonsense on parts of KE9, including the 2nd impression, which by itself demands a lot of attention without distracting effects... I always wish whoever is behind 5.1 releases be less creative, a little bit more like a technician than an artist.

Is 5.1 ELP done for now? Or can we expect future releases?
I'm fully against the common idea there's nothing else relevant after 1974 when it comes to ELP. Thinking about the following makes me positively anxious: hearing 5.1 mixes of "Pirates", "Fanfare for the Common Man", Emerson's "Concerto", and if we get into ELPowell (and why not?), "The Score", "The Miracle" and "Mars".

I'm fully against the common idea there's nothing else relevant after 1974 when it comes to ELP. Thinking about the following makes me positively anxious: hearing 5.1 mixes of "Pirates", "Fanfare for the Common Man", Emerson's "Concerto", and if we get into ELPowell (and why not?), "The Score", "The Miracle" and "Mars".[/QUOTE]

Probably a good idea to revert to the STEVEN WILSON 5.1/2.0 thread for requests.

ELPowell is a great album! I always have said that Cozy was the best drummer ELP ever had...and the one who could keep tempo as it should be...

I dunno? Carl Palmer on "Tank" is a pretty convincing argument.

Now if only we had it in surround!! Why it was not Penteo'd will always be a mystery.

AFAIK, I don't think there are any more ELP deluxe editions with surround planned.

It's fantastic, though I can't stand that echo on "The Sheriff". Why doing that? "ELPJ" BSS 2014 also had that nonsense on parts of KE9, including the 2nd impression, which by itself demands a lot of attention without distracting effects... I always wish whoever is behind 5.1 releases be less creative, a little bit more like a technician than an artist.

I'm fully against the common idea there's nothing else relevant after 1974 when it comes to ELP. Thinking about the following makes me positively anxious: hearing 5.1 mixes of "Pirates", "Fanfare for the Common Man", Emerson's "Concerto", and if we get into ELPowell (and why not?), "The Score", "The Miracle" and "Mars".

This disc only really comes to life when played quite loud, even a notch louder than the Steven Wilson mixes.
Then it is a fine, good sounding, mix. Personally I don't care to compare with the 72 mix. Anyway I settle with an 8.

Great album, a 10 for the music, but an 8 for the surround mix, nice but nothing great, glad to have it though. I voted 8 overall.

Try as I might I just don't like ELP beyond half a dozen tracks and no amount of surround wizardry can help I am afraid.

I had hoped the surround releases might be as much of an epiphany as King Crimson was, band I had no interest in to must have everything but alas not to be

this one is my favorite ELP album hands down...the thing is that, a few years ago , I bought a brand spanking "new" UK FIRST pressing that was in MINT condition...and I started listening to it again via DPLII...and the results were INCREDIBLE...it was almost like a REAL Quad mix..
So , when Jakko's mix came, I was prepared to have almost the same experience...it is a GREAT mix; and , YES , it IS Surround...but it was another point of view...I'm still missing Carl's "SHIT!" on "The Sheriff" (it's too quiet on the DVD-A)...

This album is brand new to me; the only song I've heard before is "From The Beginning" (which is beautiful), but otherwise I've never really been into ELP. That being said, the music is generally fantastic, save for the last two songs which aren't really growing on me. The surround mix is very good: lots of rear activity and discrete. I love the song "Hoedown", but it's disappointing that the recording level is so low relative to the other songs... I feel like I have to turn this one up every time; it somehow lacks the "punch" that it deserves. In comparison to my Brain Salad Surgery DVD-A from 2000, I would say Trilogy is better musically while the mix and fidelity of BSS sounds better to me. I give this an 8.

edit: I tried boosting the levels on Hoedown using Audacity... Went as high as I could without clipping, and it sounds great! For me, Hoedown just KICKS A**!

Last edited:
iMachine forced me to vote TEN....

Although, I remain not a fan of Steven Wilson's dead pan center vocals, (which Jakko continues here), everything about this is perfect. I continue to be entirely stunned how these old 1970 tape recordings are now absolutely silent as the grave.

No hiss, just perfect music. As an ELP fan who saw them w/orchestra in 1977, I could not be more delighted with this release. I was so phookin happy I bought 4 copies. No kidding.

We now have all 4 classic ELP studio recordings in proper 5.1. What a Lucky Man we all are, indeed.

elp.jpg

P.S. I LOVE the new 2.0 remix as well.

10. Easily. Never heard this album before and I only know ELP greatest hits and BSS, for reference.
Outstanding sonics. Tasteful, sometimes playful mix.
Not a lot of DVD extras, but ain't nobody got time for that.

10. Easily. Never heard this album before and I only know ELP greatest hits and BSS, for reference.

You should at least listen to the stereo mix of the alternate version of "From the Beginning".
For some strange reason, the 5.1 alternate version has the synth solos overlapping, but on the alternate version's stereo mix, there's only Keith's alternate synth solo, so it offers another interesting perspective on what the solo could have been.

It bemuses me when people rate a remix without ever having heard the original mix.

It bemuses me when people rate a remix without ever having heard the original mix.

How so ?

There are some albums where I ahve only ever listened to the 5.1 mix never the stereo (All of ELPs I have and Most of King Crimsons cataloges) They are very good and enjoable.

Thankfully i am not a Hoffmaite who want to put down anything that is not teh original mix Mono Beatles baby (when 'Love' is so good in 5.1)

Back