Steven Wilson Steven Wilson Remixes Facebook/Twitter Pages!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does sound like he himself is concerned with the progress of the first ROXY MUSIC album. Afterall he did state on his facebook page that it was coming and he'd " like to do MORE . And Phil is on board ".

That Phil is on board is great news indeed . Hopefully they can get down to the other discs shortly. :upthumb

Now JETHRO TULL-THIS WAS ? Wow !! Great news indeed . Was " wondring aloud " if those tapes were even usefull, seems that they are. Looking forward to this in 2017., and Songs From The Wood.
Steven Wilson is obviously a completist with the "TULLS" ! :sun

The main thing that worries me about both "The Seeds of Love" and any reissues from the Roxy Music catalogue is that these releases are being put together by a major label (Universal), and as we all know, surround releases from the major labels have been very hit-or-miss, if they even release them at all…
I'm more optimistic about "The Seeds of Love", just because the "Songs from the Big Chair" box set was one of the best reissues that has ever been put together IMHO, so if they follow the same approach and take the same care with "The Seeds of Love", I have no doubt it will be fantastic!
As far as how any Roxy Music releases turn out, I hope they turn out better than the Steve Hackett releases (both the box set and the individual releases.) Those were some of the most disappointing releases of a Steven Wilson remix in recent memory. (The remixes themselves were great, but everything else about those releases were very underwhelming and disappointing.)

Concerning "This Was", I understand and appreciate the desire for completeness, but at the same time, this is not an album which will greatly 'benefit' from surround sound IMHO. The material and the fact that it was recorded on 4-track tape means that the possibilities for creating an immersive mix are extremely limited. I'm absolutely fine with its release, but it would be wonderful if they could release both "Songs from the Wood" and "Heavy Horses" first (or at the very least the former) before moving on with "This Was".

:)

The main thing that worries me about both "The Seeds of Love" and any reissues from the Roxy Music catalogue is that these releases are being put together by a major label (Universal), and as we all know, surround releases from the major labels have been very hit-or-miss, if they even release them at all…
I'm more optimistic about "The Seeds of Love", just because the "Songs from the Big Chair" box set was one of the best reissues that has ever been put together IMHO, so if they follow the same approach and take the same care with "The Seeds of Love", I have no doubt it will be fantastic!
As far as how any Roxy Music releases turn out, I hope they turn out better than the Steve Hackett releases (both the box set and the individual releases.) Those were some of the most disappointing releases of a Steven Wilson remix in recent memory. (The remixes themselves were great, but everything else about those releases were very underwhelming and disappointing.)

Concerning "This Was", I understand and appreciate the desire for completeness, but at the same time, this is not an album which will greatly 'benefit' from surround sound IMHO. The material and the fact that it was recorded on 4-track tape means that the possibilities for creating an immersive mix are extremely limited. I'm absolutely fine with its release, but it would be wonderful if they could release both "Songs from the Wood" and "Heavy Horses" first (or at the very least the former) before moving on with "This Was".

:)
Good point, but wasn't Benefit also a 4-track recording? Given the limitations, I think SW did a pretty good job with that one.

Hey Steven how about releasing Transcience in 5.1. A best of/easily accessible Steven Wilson 5.1 DVD would be a standard on my dvd player...
AM I the only person who would kill for this??

Last edited:
Hey Steven how about releasing Transcience in 5.1. A best of/easily accessible Steven Wilson 5.1 DVD would be a standard on my dvd player...
AM I the only person who would kill for this??

I highly doubt that would happen. Most of the people who purchase the 5.1 Blu-Rays of his music are big fans, while this set (on vinyl and now CD) is designed to be an introduction to his music for those unacquainted with it. I think the hope is that if people buy this CD (or vinyl) and like what they hear, they will go and purchase the full albums, and that's where the surround mixes become most beneficial, immersing the listener within the album and giving people the auditory experience SW wants them to have.

Plus, given that his entire solo catalogue is available in 5.1, anyone can make their own DVD or Blu-Ray compilation themselves. :)

I would love it too, but AFAIK, Radiohead have never released anything in surround, not even a live concert or videos compilation. The chances seem about as slim as Talk Talk or Kate Bush in surround. :(

Actually King of Limbs From the Basement is in surround, but it is mostly just ambience in the rear channels.

I would love it too, but AFAIK, Radiohead have never released anything in surround, not even a live concert or videos compilation. The chances seem about as slim as Talk Talk or Kate Bush in surround. :(

There is always a first for everything

There is always a first for everything

True, and I'm not saying it could never happen.
I'm just certainly not holding my breath for it, especially since it's obvious that Steven Wilson is focusing less and less on remixing going forward.
He'll make the time for Kate Bush if she ever comes around, but I'm not sure he would do the same for many others.

True, and I'm not saying it could never happen.
I'm just certainly not holding my breath for it, especially since it's obvious that Steven Wilson is focusing less and less on remixing going forward.
He'll make the time for Kate Bush if she ever comes around, but I'm not sure he would do the same for many others.
that is a bold statement ;) Did Steven mentioned this somewhere? He is still looking forward to remixing XTC and Tull. Will that be the end you think?

that is a bold statement ;) Did Steven mentioned this somewhere? He is still looking forward to remixing XTC and Tull. Will that be the end you think?

Yes, you're right in that he's still going to be continuing to remix certain artists' catalogues (like XTC and also the remaining 70s records from Jethro Tull) but he definitely said the remixing work is beginning to take more and more of a backseat to writing, recording, and touring his own music. (The touring seems to be what's really taking up more and more of his time lately.)
What I think that really means is that he's becoming more and more selective about taking on new remixing projects, although there could still be other remixes that crop up from time to time, including some more from artists he's already worked with before. (Like maybe a few more remixes from Gentle Giant or "Going for the One" by Yes)
Plus I'm sure he will want to remix more Roxy Music albums once the artist and their label finally get their act together and begin the reissue series, but as of right now, it seems like the only safe bets going forward are more remixes from XTC and Jethro Tull. Everything else is speculation and wishful thinking. ;)

And little off topic but I recently picked up Steven Wilson's Transcience CD (just stereo) and I must say it is an outstanding cd. The sequencing of songs seems very natural and feels totally right to me. The sound, sequencing and music is exquisite. It will be on my ipod and in my car's cd player for a long time.

One band that I'd like to see get the 5.1 treatment from Steven Wilson is The Mars Volta. I really feel that De-Loused In The Comatorium, Frances The Mute, Amputechture & The Bedlam In Goliath would be great in surround sound.

:51banana:

Back