I just bought this Stereo FLAC download

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've been watching this release...heard some great things about it. So, decided to get the 96/24 Flac download from Acoustic Sounds.....will report later about quality..

XSON40262F96__111036__11052015020018-5205.jpg

Has any of our download members purchased any of the Black Sabbath music from HD Tracks? I guess I'm curious if it sounds superior to standard CD. Of course, I have the whole Sabbath catalog and honestly, they sound pretty damn good to my ears. I mean, if I thought some of the Sabbath would come out in Quad...oh boy....I'd wait for that...

I have original pressings for most of the Sabbath albums as well as the 180g vinyl remasters that came out a few years ago.
Vol. 4 & Sabbath Bloody Sabbath especially sound better on the original UK pressings.
They all sound significantly better than any CD version I've heard.

My copy of Paranoid quad comes from the Q4 release. Far as I know, this is the only surround release from the group.

I haven't heard the 24/96 masters you mention yet.
Are they flat transfers of the original masters does anyone know?

If they have genuine HD masters up for these Sabbath and Bowie albums, my wallet is going to take some damage!

Ten Years After - A Space In Time

96/24 Acoustic Sounds

Ten Years After Space In Time.jpg

oobar2000 1.3.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2015-11-16 16:24:12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Ten Years After / A Space In Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR9 -0.72 dB -12.63 dB 5:55 01-One of These Days
DR11 -2.11 dB -16.87 dB 4:36 02-Here They Come
DR10 -2.18 dB -16.15 dB 3:45 03-I'd Love To Change The World
DR10 -0.21 dB -15.09 dB 2:29 04-Over The Hill
DR8 -1.34 dB -12.32 dB 2:15 05-Baby Won't You Let Me Rock 'N' Roll You
DR11 -1.91 dB -15.78 dB 3:24 06-Once There Was A Time
DR13 -0.02 dB -16.60 dB 4:21 07-Let The Sky Fall
DR10 -1.04 dB -14.62 dB 3:16 08-Hard Monkeys
DR10 -1.11 dB -14.13 dB 5:41 09-I've Been There Too
DR12 -2.25 dB -17.12 dB 1:57 10-Uncle Jam

Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 2839 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

How does that compare to the DVD? I made my own 24/96 download from it.

Say...
Instead of the rms charts, can you guys post screen shots of the waveforms?

Tells much more of the story. :)

Eh....well...if someone want's to show me how to do that in Foobar, I'd be glad to. Otherwise, it was even a stretch for me to figure out the DR charts.

A media player isn't likely going to have that feature.

Audacity is a free light weight DAW app available for both Mac and Windows.
Literally drag and drop a FLAC file into Audacity just like you would into your media player Foobar.
When the waveforms appear in the Audacity window, take a screen shot.

The rms chart really tells you next to nothing unfortunately. You can have an obviously brick walled and squashed track still show "good" numbers in the chart.

A picture tells a 1000 words. You'll see at a glance if something has been mastered for portable players if it's been brick walled. (ie. the tops of the waveform peaks all flat at full volume)

I've seen enough cases where the already limited and eq'd for portable use master is released in HD format - post processing but pre 16 bit & 44.1k reduction. A standard release masquerading as HD as it were. Risky to take a chance on HD Tracks sometimes if you're not sure.

Perhaps if they saw forums keeping tabs on just what they're releasing they'd put more effort into their descriptions?

Last edited:
DAVID BOWIE - SPACE ODDITY (2015 REMASTER)

And, I received 12% off the price below....good deal. I can't wait, I've heard good things about this 2015 remaster...

Capture.JPG

I purchased 3 new Flac downloads yesterday, and I started reading this thread from beginning and GOS got me thinking so I purchased Led Zeps, Houses Of The Holy, a bit better than the remastered RBCD. I have to watch my double dipping. My code is a better machine, trumps better formats.

I Guess I need to wake up....I never even realized that The Foo Fighters released a new EP that they are offering as a FREE Flac download. I assume it's at all the obvious sites, but I ordered from Acoustic Sounds...again...free.

Capture.JPG

Hi Gene, have you tried burning any of these FLACs to disc, to play in your DVD player?

Tearing my hair out trying here (QQ member Otto has very helpfully suggested in another thread on the subject that I make a Blu-ray using foobar... but I don't have my Blu-ray burner to hand right now and I can't get foobar working thru Wine now since I updated the Mac OS anyway!).. bad times man... I figured it must be easy to burn FLAC to a DVD since so many folks use FLAC nowadays but evidently not..? :eek:

Hi Gene, have you tried burning any of these FLACs to disc, to play in your DVD player?

Tearing my hair out trying here (QQ member Otto has very helpfully suggested in another thread on the subject that I make a Blu-ray using foobar... but I don't have my Blu-ray burner to hand right now and I can't get foobar working thru Wine now since I updated the Mac OS anyway!).. bad times man... I figured it must be easy to burn FLAC to a DVD since so many folks use FLAC nowadays but evidently not..? :eek:

Sorry Adam - I'm so enamored with FLAC and Foobar right now, that I'm loving not needing to deal with any discs......but either way, no...I would be clueless how to do that.

I use Cirlinca "HD-Audio Solo Ultra 4.4" to burn FLAC to DVD, but I'm not sure if it will work with Wine.

Hi Sukothai it Snoooooooooood :banana:

Question about above statement referring to Cirlinca burning FLAC files to DVD?? Will it burn 5.1 FLAC files to DVD as 5.1 surround? Specifically any ripped 5.1 FLAC files from a ripped dvd-a, dvd, bluray or even say 5.1 flac upmixed files, Looking at website they only mention .wav or .aif files.......

Can you please confirm that 5.1 flacs can be burned to dvd as 5.1 tunage.........and are they burned as 5.1 flac dvds or converted to something else for playback on dvd? Sound Snoopid me knows, but my old 980 oppo will not play flac files through usb and it might not process flac on a dvd.

Not so interested in complete menus and all , just being able to make 5.1 flac dvd/dvd-a that will play in my music system with an old oppo 980

Thank you for any info :snoodhug:

Hi Sukothai it Snoooooooooood :banana:

Question about above statement referring to Cirlinca burning FLAC files to DVD?? Will it burn 5.1 FLAC files to DVD as 5.1 surround? Specifically any ripped 5.1 FLAC files from a ripped dvd-a, dvd, bluray or even say 5.1 flac upmixed files, Looking at website they only mention .wav or .aif files.......

Can you please confirm that 5.1 flacs can be burned to dvd as 5.1 tunage.........and are they burned as 5.1 flac dvds or converted to something else for playback on dvd? Sound Snoopid me knows, but my old 980 oppo will not play flac files through usb and it might not process flac on a dvd.

Not so interested in complete menus and all , just being able to make 5.1 flac dvd/dvd-a that will play in my music system with an old oppo 980

Thank you for any info :snoodhug:

I know I've used Cirlinca to burn the last two Steve Wilson albums to DVD-A discs using 5.1 FLAC files. They sound great in my Acura TL and I can hear all the channels. I'm not sure if they sound as good as the originals though so I recently bought a BluRay player/burner so I can finally listen to them and make my own conversions. It sucks that Wilson doesn't do DVD-A anymore since the only place I can listen to 5.1 is in my car.

I didn't do the conversions from BluRay to FLAC btw, I legally own both BluRays but I'm still in the process of learning how to move all the files around and convert them so I just downloaded somebody else's work.
And yeah, Cirlinca doesn't burn the FLAC files to disc, it converts them to whatever format is used on DVD-A. Their web page is a little vague about all the file formats you can use. You can download it and try it for free before you buy it, that's what I did.
BTW, Cirlinca works great with DTS CD's in 5.1 and they sound great in my car.

Back