Thread: Further Yes reissues...

Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Further Yes reissues...

Hi Steven! Amazing work on all the remixes I've heard and that's just stereo. Relayer sounds like it has had a 2-inch thick cake of dust and grime wiped off it. The question is are more Yes albums beyond Fragile going to be done? Everybody wants to hear Tales. I'd also love to hear Going For The One (besides, apart from the remix of the actual record itself, I think there are a lot of improvised bits like the full Vevey, Montreux Theme, etc. if the tapes exists). Tormato is a record that could do with a remix too. An idea I had a while back, though, was Time And A Word. The use of the orchestra on said record always controversial, not least with Peter Banks. If the master tapes still exist for early Yes it would be really interesting to hear a sort of "Time And A Word... Naked" of sorts with all the orchestra gone with just the band instead. Finally, are there ANY more gems in the vaults as far as unreleased bonus material goes? Do you know if live released will be attempted (although the Progeny box set coming out on Rhino seems to be opening the door for that)? Anyway, thank you very much for all the great work and I look forward to hearing more.
    With best regards,
    John

2. Likes bangdrum6 liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Further Yes reissues...

Quote Originally Posted by kayley10 View Post
    Hi Steven! Amazing work on all the remixes I've heard and that's just stereo. Relayer sounds like it has had a 2-inch thick cake of dust and grime wiped off it. The question is are more Yes albums beyond Fragile going to be done? Everybody wants to hear Tales. I'd also love to hear Going For The One (besides, apart from the remix of the actual record itself, I think there are a lot of improvised bits like the full Vevey, Montreux Theme, etc. if the tapes exists). Tormato is a record that could do with a remix too. An idea I had a while back, though, was Time And A Word. The use of the orchestra on said record always controversial, not least with Peter Banks. If the master tapes still exist for early Yes it would be really interesting to hear a sort of "Time And A Word... Naked" of sorts with all the orchestra gone with just the band instead. Finally, are there ANY more gems in the vaults as far as unreleased bonus material goes? Do you know if live released will be attempted (although the Progeny box set coming out on Rhino seems to be opening the door for that)? Anyway, thank you very much for all the great work and I look forward to hearing more.
    With best regards,
    John
    Hello there - my apologies for the delay in responding, been a busy year! Anyway, as you will know by now Fragile is done and coming out in October (presale should be up later tonight on my site at least, with Burning Shed to follow in the week), and there is at least one "unreleased gem" on that one which I think you will find really interesting (-: As for the future; the answer is that I really don't know - I did start on Tales a couple of years back, but honesty it's not really up to me when and if more are released, and right now I don't have any more tapes anyway. I believe that the multitrack tapes for Going for the One are currently not available. First 2 Yes albums I would think unlikely, not enough potential sales...etc But never say never.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    Hello there - my apologies for the delay in responding, been a busy year! Anyway, as you will know by now Fragile is done and coming out in October (presale should be up later tonight on my site at least, with Burning Shed to follow in the week), and there is at least one "unreleased gem" on that one which I think you will find really interesting (-: As for the future; the answer is that I really don't know - I did start on Tales a couple of years back, but honesty it's not really up to me when and if more are released, and right now I don't have any more tapes anyway. I believe that the multitrack tapes for Going for the One are currently not available. First 2 Yes albums I would think unlikely, not enough potential sales...etc But never say never.
    Thanks for the response to this question, Steven.
    A follow-up from me would be, do you have any interest in remixing some of the later albums (particularly "Drama, "90125", and "Big Generator") if asked?
    I think any Yes albums up to and including "Big Generator" would make for great reissues with new stereo and surround mixes, but I know it takes both your willingness to do the remixes and the rights holders' willingness to get it done too in order to make it happen.
    PS I'm definitely looking forward to "Tales from Topographic Oceans"!

Ryan

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project) and more from Gentle Giant!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed very excited about the Fragile reissue, not least All Fighters Past. ;-)

6. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes JanBakker, Clint Eastwood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    Thanks for the response to this question, Steven.
    A follow-up from me would be, do you have any interest in remixing some of the later albums (particularly "Drama, "90125", and "Big Generator") if asked?
    I think any Yes albums up to and including "Big Generator" would make for great reissues with new stereo and surround mixes, but I know it takes both your willingness to do the remixes and the rights holders' willingness to get it done too in order to make it happen.
    PS I'm definitely looking forward to "Tales from Topographic Oceans"!

Ryan
    I really hope Tales and Drama will eventually be done, they are (perhaps somewhat perversely) my 2 favourite Yes albums, and as I said a lot of work was done on Tales before the focus shifted to the "hit" albums, so I hope at least that one will eventually get a green light.

Although I'm a fan of the Trevor Horn fronted Yes, I can't really say the same of the albums that he produced for them (too much AOR for me), so that wouldn't be something for me. But there are other Trevor Horn productions from that era that I would love to do, such as Slave to the Rhythm, or A Secret Wish.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Drama would be a treat for sure!

9. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope Tales and Drama will eventually be done, they are (perhaps somewhat perversely) my 2 favourite Yes albums, and as I said a lot of work was done on Tales before the focus shifted to the "hit" albums, so I hope at least that one will eventually get a green light.

Although I'm a fan of the Trevor Horn fronted Yes, I can't really say the same of the albums that he produced for them (too much AOR for me), so that wouldn't be something for me. But there are other Trevor Horn productions from that era that I would love to do, such as Slave to the Rhythm, or A Secret Wish.
    Concerning "Slave to the Rhythm", like "Love to Love you Baby", this year would be a great year for a reissue (with remixes) as it's an anniversary year, but it could come at any time for me, and I would definitely buy it!
    As for "A Secret Wish", looks like a surround mix already exists for that one: http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/1574

Finally, concerning Yes, I hope we do everything we can to make sure that "Fragile" (and "Tales when it's released) sells really well, so that way there will be more of an incentive to get the first two albums plus "Going for the One", "Tormato", and "Drama" all remixed and reissued.
    Thanks again!

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project) and more from Gentle Giant!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

11. Thanks GOS, fizzywiggs41, peterzach, bangdrum6 thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably a dumb question on this forum, but what exactly is AOR?

13. Likes JanBakker liked this post
    formerly "quadwreck" too
    Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

AOR was coined to describe album-oriented radio stations that became popular in the mid-1970s and avoided playing singles. Maybe that's changed to "adult", but it was originally album-oriented radio.

15. Thanks JanBakker thanked for this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star skherbeck's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entrySocial1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad to hear SW isn't in to 90125... That album has huge market appeal, begs for a multichannel mix, and could potentially accompany me on a desert island.

17. Thanks fizzywiggs41, Perpendicular thanked for this post
    Likes fizzywiggs41, DuncanS, ombasan liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star DuncanS's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Tales is definitely one I'm eager to have, so lets hope its brought into 'play' soon.

Its an album that's grown on me over the years since its release from so-so to really liking, lots of intricacies. Expanding the sound field with a 5.1 mix will really enhance it IMHO, a la Relayer which is just great in 5.1 - I now only listen to the stereo version in the car.
    254 SACD (219 Multi, 35 Stereo), 218 DVD-Audio/DTS/DD, 27 Blu-ray Audio (19 Multi, 8 Stereo), 14 SQ LPs, 2218 plain old stereo CDs

19. Thanks Clint Eastwood, DennisMoore Jr. thanked for this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Quadwreck is right. The original meant "Album Oriented Rock" as a radio station format, as opposed to singles and Top 40. These evolved into the "Classic Rock" stations that flourished in the '80s, '90s and '00s. Somewhere in the '90s, I think, Billboard started the Adult Contemporary charts for the aging rock stars to chart as they could not compete with the current music trends. Artists like James Taylor, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Moody Blues, etc, would chart in the Adult Contemporary chart and sometime cross over to the "real" Top 200. This is probably when the term evolved to "Adult" as opposed to "Album".
    :-jon

21. Thanks GOS, Clint Eastwood, haikubass thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood liked this post
    400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I imagine you have "finished" the Tales mix in the same way you did for the KC Lizard album and I can hardly wait to hear it!
    (By "finished" I mean nuance that goes beyond the scope of the original mix to "complete" it how the band would have originally had they or the technology been able to. Hope that makes sense...)
    Looking forward to Drama too!
    Really really disturbing to hear tapes for GFTO might be gone. The stereo mix we have for that one is in just as bad of shape as the Relayer album was. What a shame...

23. Likes tedhead liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AOR.
    Look up Tom Donahue.
    L.A. & S.F. DJ, concert promoter, record label owner.
    He started AOR FM programming on the late 60's.
    Up to then Pop\Rock radio was ruled by Top-40 AM.
    He's in the RnR HOF.

25. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

i would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to hear a 5.1 version of Drama Steve, I hope you and YES decide to do it. It is a very under-rated album. Fingers crossed that it happens someday.

Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

1 vote for The Ladder, please!
    For a latter-day album it invokes so much of classic Yes, it's just crazy. I <3 The Ladder.

28. Likes ProgRules liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be happy if Wilson goes as far as Drama hoping that GftO and Tormato won't get left out either. Yes and Time and a Word too would be nice seeing as he's going back to Tull's Stand Up next year. Never say never indeed.

30. Likes DennisMoore Jr., fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    500 Club - QQ All Star ProgRules's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FVDnz View Post
    I'll be happy if Wilson goes as far as Drama hoping that GftO and Tormato won't get left out either. Yes and Time and a Word too would be nice seeing as he's going back to Tull's Stand Up next year. Never say never indeed.
    SW said yesterday on his FB page that Fragile is the final Yes release to be scheduled at present.
    Catch as we look and use the passions that flow
    As we try we continue
    We receive all we venture to give

32. Thanks DennisMoore Jr. thanked for this post
    Likes DennisMoore Jr. liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ProgRules View Post
    SW said yesterday on his FB page that Fragile is the final Yes release to be scheduled at present.
    Yes I read that, but that is the wish I have, at present. ;-)

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is that I'm very glad that Geoff Downes only appears on one "classic" Yes album, which is "Drama".
    In a recent Twitter exchange from a few months ago, someone asked if Steven Wilson was going to remix "Drama", and Geoff's reply? "I bloody well hope not!"

Wow…with Chris gone leaving Steve Howe, Alan White, and Geoff Downes remaining, even if the record labels eventually decided that they wanted SW to remix "Drama", could Downes & White veto it from happening? Something to think about...

35. Thanks fredblue thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never been all that big over Downes being in Yes really. If Drama ever gets done, does he really have a say in the matter?

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FVDnz View Post
    I've never been all that big over Downes being in Yes really. If Drama ever gets done, does he really have a say in the matter?

I have no idea, but I thought it was at least interesting enough to pose the question.
    I'm still extremely doubtful the reissue series will ever get to that point anyway, especially not until they release the remix of "Tales from Topographic Oceans".

38. Likes fredblue liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

I dig Drama. They mix it and the mix don't suck, I buy.

40. Likes rtbluray, FVDnz liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure why Geoff Downes is anti Wilson remixing Drama. His remixes of the other Yes albums have been received very favourably and I think Howe was involved in approving them so he was happy. Anyway, I think Howe and White should have a bigger say on what happens to Drama as Downes was the new boy in the band then and the project was much more them and Chris Squire of course.

42. Thanks onthewall2983 thanked for this post
    Likes FVDnz, onthewall2983 liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't think he should hold much sway over the subject anyway. If he doesn't like it then that's his loss. Again though he could still be convinced like Robert Fripp was back when Wilson demonstrated what 5.1 could sound like for Crimson.

44. Likes Robert van Diggele liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast