Steven Wilson Further Yes reissues...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been all that big over Downes being in Yes really. If Drama ever gets done, does he really have a say in the matter?

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

I've never been all that big over Downes being in Yes really. If Drama ever gets done, does he really have a say in the matter?

I have no idea, but I thought it was at least interesting enough to pose the question.
I'm still extremely doubtful the reissue series will ever get to that point anyway, especially not until they release the remix of "Tales from Topographic Oceans".

I am not sure why Geoff Downes is anti Wilson remixing Drama. His remixes of the other Yes albums have been received very favourably and I think Howe was involved in approving them so he was happy. Anyway, I think Howe and White should have a bigger say on what happens to Drama as Downes was the new boy in the band then and the project was much more them and Chris Squire of course.

Personally, I don't think he should hold much sway over the subject anyway. If he doesn't like it then that's his loss. Again though he could still be convinced like Robert Fripp was back when Wilson demonstrated what 5.1 could sound like for Crimson.

As the production of Drama is credited to Trevor Horn and Yes, it could be that his Buggles bandmate Downes just feels TH (and Yes) did a great job in the first place. I get that; I have yet to hear a two-channel Yes remix that obsoletes Eddie Offord's incredible work. Though why Downes objects to a 5.1 mix, I can't guess, unless (like Ian Anderson used to) he just doesn't see the point.

As the production of Drama is credited to Trevor Horn and Yes, it could be that his Buggles bandmate Downes just feels TH (and Yes) did a great job in the first place. I get that; I have yet to hear a two-channel Yes remix that obsoletes Eddie Offord's incredible work. Though why Downes objects to a 5.1 mix, I can't guess, unless (like Ian Anderson used to) he just doesn't see the point.
Yeah, Trevor Horn's production could be a solid reason for why Downes could be biased but at the end of the day, it's the 5.1 that fans will be wanting to hear even if a stereo remix is going to be inevitable. Guess we'll find out if they reach out that far unless they do Yes and Time and a Word before Drama... ?

Someone asked about further Yes reissues on the DGM Guest Book, and here was Declan Colgan's response:
"Panegyric released all five Yes albums for which full multi-track tapes were available, thanks to the work by Rhino Records & Yes' management in locating/transferring those tapes. Despite rumours to the contrary, the full multi-tracks to the other albums have not, at this time, been located. Happily, as we know from working with other bands, tapes do turn up/are found & if /when the tapes are located, I am sure that there would be sufficient interest to continue with these releases. Thanks, Declan"

On June 29, the 5 Steven Wilson Yes remixes will be released on vinyl for the first time in a new box set.
https://www.amazon.com/Steven-Wilson-Remixes-6LP/dp/B07CPJYQQ5?tag=yes05-21

YES mark their 50th anniversary this year and release YES: THE STEVEN WILSON REMIXES which spotlights five studio albums that helped secure the band’s recent induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
YES: THE STEVEN WILSON REMIXES will be available on 29th June as a five album set. It includes remixed versions of: The Yes Album (1971), Fragile (1971), Close To The Edge (1972), the double album Tales From Topographic Oceans (1973), and Relayer (1974). Each album features remixed audio by Steven Wilson, released on vinyl for the first time.

The record case features artwork created specifically for the set by Roger Dean, whose artwork and trademark calligraphy are synonymous with the band’s identity; two of the albums, Close To The Edge and Tales From Topography Oceans, have new cover art, while the remaining three covers have been reworked by Dean.

After their initial release in the 1970’s, Wilson’s articulate remix shines a light on the stellar performances that run deep through each of these the albums, from hits like “Roundabout” and “I’ve Seen All Good People,” to album-side length epics like “Close To The Edge” and “The Gates Of Delirium.”

The music included in this collection confirms the band’s standing as the most enduring, ambitious, and virtuosic progressive band in rock history. It also follows the band through a number of personnel changes. Starting in February 1971 with YES’s third studio release, The Yes Album, the band featured vocalist Jon Anderson, bassist Chris Squire, guitarist Steve Howe, keyboardist Tony Kaye and drummer Bill Bruford. Released just nine months later, Fragile was YES’s first release with keyboardist Rick Wakeman. The same line-up returned on 1972’s Close To The Edge. A year later, drummer Alan White made his YES debut on Tales From Topographic Oceans. And finally, keyboardist Patrick Moraz joined for Relayer in 1974.

The Steven Wilson remixes are also currently available on BluRay and DVD-A

YES-Box-min.jpg

YES_YesAlbum_remix-min.jpg

Yes_Fragile_ReMix-min.jpg

YES_CloseToEdgeRemix-min.jpg

YES_Topographic_Remix-min.jpg

Yes_Relayer_ReMix-min.jpg

+1 on the frowny-face. I'd been holding out just the tiniest bit of hope that he'd eventually come 'round to doing GFTO and/or Tormato. Never cared for 90125 and after, but I put Going up there with the classic albums that he's done already, and I've never understood the hate that Tormato gets. Both albums are dying for a remaster & remix.

Last edited:
Steven Wilson just posted about the vinyl set on his remixes Facebook page and added this:

Just to pre-empt the question, I'm afraid there are no plans for any further Yes albums to be remixed, either in stereo or 5.1, so this set is definitive in terms of the remixes.

Thanks for the update.
Spurred me to order Relayer to complete my Yes surround collection, and move on.
Very grateful for this stellar, exemplary series of Wilson / Panegyric remixes.
:hi

Just ordered King Crimson Islands off Amazon for $14.40.
More Crim 5.1 on my wish list, happy they're in print and affordable.

+1 on the frowny-face. I'd been holding out just the tiniest bit of hope that he'd eventually come 'round to doing GFTO and/or Tormato. Never cared for 90125 and after, but I put Going up there with the classic albums that he's done already, and I've never understood the hate that Tormato gets. Both albums are dying for a remaster & remix.
GFTO would sound just amazing of course and Tormato would finally sound 'finished' in some wonderful way. (I'm thinking of how KC Lizard was 'finished' by him with that comment. I have no lack of love for Tormato either!) Drama is the first "Hey that doesn't sound much like yes" album. 90125 is that times 10. I'd still love to hear a remix of Drama but it could stop after that.

Yeah, so that news sucks!

Vinyl release?! SQ or QS? :D

and I've never understood the hate that Tormato gets. [./QUOTE]

"Was that something beautiful, amazing, wonderful, extraordinary beautiful?"
"Oh! It was OK!! But there were no clowns, no tigers, lions or bears, candy floss, toffee apples, no clowns."

and

"I could not take it oh so seriously really When you called and said you'd seen a UFO"

Even amongst procession of er "ropey" material which punctuates Yes's recorded output, these two tracks stand at the nadir. And I specifically include all of "Big Generator", "Open Your Eyes" and "Onion Union" in comparison.

"Was that something beautiful, amazing, wonderful, extraordinary beautiful?"
"Oh! It was OK!! But there were no clowns, no tigers, lions or bears, candy floss, toffee apples, no clowns."

and

"I could not take it oh so seriously really When you called and said you'd seen a UFO"

Even amongst procession of er "ropey" material which punctuates Yes's recorded output, these two tracks stand at the nadir. And I specifically include all of "Big Generator", "Open Your Eyes" and "Onion Union" in comparison.

Quoting Jon Anderson's lyrics is a mug's game, I think. I could cite lines from The Yes Album and Close to the Edge that are just as laughable--or spacey/dopey/ingenuous/awkward . . . take your pick. (Never mind what Rick Wakeman referred to as Toby's Graphic Go-Kart. Wilson's remix finally took away my reservations about that album.)

I always found young Damion Anderson's appearance on "Circus of Heaven" kind of charming, even when I first heard it as a resolutely unsentimental teenager. As for "Arriving UFO": I think Anderson's bad lyric actually works pretty nicely with the counterpointed melodic line that it supports. And musically speaking, I find that one of the most interesting tracks on the album.

Now if you'd cited "Don't Kill the Whale," I might take your point . . .

I'd still love to hear a remix of Drama but it could stop after that.

IMO, The Ladder is quite the return to form, even though it is late-era Yes. Especially Homeworld, but there are other great moments too. Sonically, it's miles away from 90125 and the like.
The way the track list runs, The Ladder feels a bit like Fragile to me. I know those that grew up in the classic era will have zero nostalgia for The Ladder,
and so giving it a listen might not be inclined to rate it favorably against TYA - Drama, but, to these younger ears it's got most if not all essential qualities of Yes.
Given the relative youth of the recording, I find it hard to believe the multis don't exist.

I also enjoy quite a bit of Magnification, so I'm glad it got a surround release, though I think songs on The Ladder are generally stronger.
I'm thrilled that we at least have Homeworld in 5.1. It gets frequent spins at Casa da Baggins

Back