Steven Wilson Further Yes reissues...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayley10

Hi Steven! Amazing work on all the remixes I've heard and that's just stereo. Relayer sounds like it has had a 2-inch thick cake of dust and grime wiped off it. The question is are more Yes albums beyond Fragile going to be done? Everybody wants to hear Tales. I'd also love to hear Going For The One (besides, apart from the remix of the actual record itself, I think there are a lot of improvised bits like the full Vevey, Montreux Theme, etc. if the tapes exists). Tormato is a record that could do with a remix too. An idea I had a while back, though, was Time And A Word. The use of the orchestra on said record always controversial, not least with Peter Banks. If the master tapes still exist for early Yes it would be really interesting to hear a sort of "Time And A Word... Naked" of sorts with all the orchestra gone with just the band instead. Finally, are there ANY more gems in the vaults as far as unreleased bonus material goes? Do you know if live released will be attempted (although the Progeny box set coming out on Rhino seems to be opening the door for that)? Anyway, thank you very much for all the great work and I look forward to hearing more.
With best regards,
John

Hi Steven! Amazing work on all the remixes I've heard and that's just stereo. Relayer sounds like it has had a 2-inch thick cake of dust and grime wiped off it. The question is are more Yes albums beyond Fragile going to be done? Everybody wants to hear Tales. I'd also love to hear Going For The One (besides, apart from the remix of the actual record itself, I think there are a lot of improvised bits like the full Vevey, Montreux Theme, etc. if the tapes exists). Tormato is a record that could do with a remix too. An idea I had a while back, though, was Time And A Word. The use of the orchestra on said record always controversial, not least with Peter Banks. If the master tapes still exist for early Yes it would be really interesting to hear a sort of "Time And A Word... Naked" of sorts with all the orchestra gone with just the band instead. Finally, are there ANY more gems in the vaults as far as unreleased bonus material goes? Do you know if live released will be attempted (although the Progeny box set coming out on Rhino seems to be opening the door for that)? Anyway, thank you very much for all the great work and I look forward to hearing more.
With best regards,
John

Hello there - my apologies for the delay in responding, been a busy year! Anyway, as you will know by now Fragile is done and coming out in October (presale should be up later tonight on my site at least, with Burning Shed to follow in the week), and there is at least one "unreleased gem" on that one which I think you will find really interesting (-: As for the future; the answer is that I really don't know - I did start on Tales a couple of years back, but honesty it's not really up to me when and if more are released, and right now I don't have any more tapes anyway. I believe that the multitrack tapes for Going for the One are currently not available. First 2 Yes albums I would think unlikely, not enough potential sales...etc But never say never.

Hello there - my apologies for the delay in responding, been a busy year! Anyway, as you will know by now Fragile is done and coming out in October (presale should be up later tonight on my site at least, with Burning Shed to follow in the week), and there is at least one "unreleased gem" on that one which I think you will find really interesting (-: As for the future; the answer is that I really don't know - I did start on Tales a couple of years back, but honesty it's not really up to me when and if more are released, and right now I don't have any more tapes anyway. I believe that the multitrack tapes for Going for the One are currently not available. First 2 Yes albums I would think unlikely, not enough potential sales...etc But never say never.

Thanks for the response to this question, Steven.
A follow-up from me would be, do you have any interest in remixing some of the later albums (particularly "Drama, "90125", and "Big Generator") if asked?
I think any Yes albums up to and including "Big Generator" would make for great reissues with new stereo and surround mixes, but I know it takes both your willingness to do the remixes and the rights holders' willingness to get it done too in order to make it happen.
PS I'm definitely looking forward to "Tales from Topographic Oceans"! :)

Ryan

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed very excited about the Fragile reissue, not least All Fighters Past. ;-)

Thanks for the response to this question, Steven.
A follow-up from me would be, do you have any interest in remixing some of the later albums (particularly "Drama, "90125", and "Big Generator") if asked?
I think any Yes albums up to and including "Big Generator" would make for great reissues with new stereo and surround mixes, but I know it takes both your willingness to do the remixes and the rights holders' willingness to get it done too in order to make it happen.
PS I'm definitely looking forward to "Tales from Topographic Oceans"! :)

Ryan

I really hope Tales and Drama will eventually be done, they are (perhaps somewhat perversely) my 2 favourite Yes albums, and as I said a lot of work was done on Tales before the focus shifted to the "hit" albums, so I hope at least that one will eventually get a green light.

Although I'm a fan of the Trevor Horn fronted Yes, I can't really say the same of the albums that he produced for them (too much AOR for me), so that wouldn't be something for me. But there are other Trevor Horn productions from that era that I would love to do, such as Slave to the Rhythm, or A Secret Wish.

I really hope Tales and Drama will eventually be done, they are (perhaps somewhat perversely) my 2 favourite Yes albums, and as I said a lot of work was done on Tales before the focus shifted to the "hit" albums, so I hope at least that one will eventually get a green light.

Although I'm a fan of the Trevor Horn fronted Yes, I can't really say the same of the albums that he produced for them (too much AOR for me), so that wouldn't be something for me. But there are other Trevor Horn productions from that era that I would love to do, such as Slave to the Rhythm, or A Secret Wish.

Concerning "Slave to the Rhythm", like "Love to Love you Baby", this year would be a great year for a reissue (with remixes) as it's an anniversary year, but it could come at any time for me, and I would definitely buy it!
As for "A Secret Wish", looks like a surround mix already exists for that one: http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/1574

Finally, concerning Yes, I hope we do everything we can to make sure that "Fragile" (and "Tales when it's released) sells really well, so that way there will be more of an incentive to get the first two albums plus "Going for the One", "Tormato", and "Drama" all remixed and reissued.
Thanks again! :)

Probably a dumb question on this forum, but what exactly is AOR?

AOR was coined to describe album-oriented radio stations that became popular in the mid-1970s and avoided playing singles. Maybe that's changed to "adult", but it was originally album-oriented radio.

Sad to hear SW isn't in to 90125... That album has huge market appeal, begs for a multichannel mix, and could potentially accompany me on a desert island.

Tales is definitely one I'm eager to have, so lets hope its brought into 'play' soon.

Its an album that's grown on me over the years since its release from so-so to really liking, lots of intricacies. Expanding the sound field with a 5.1 mix will really enhance it IMHO, a la Relayer which is just great in 5.1 - I now only listen to the stereo version in the car.

Quadwreck is right. The original meant "Album Oriented Rock" as a radio station format, as opposed to singles and Top 40. These evolved into the "Classic Rock" stations that flourished in the '80s, '90s and '00s. Somewhere in the '90s, I think, Billboard started the Adult Contemporary charts for the aging rock stars to chart as they could not compete with the current music trends. Artists like James Taylor, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Moody Blues, etc, would chart in the Adult Contemporary chart and sometime cross over to the "real" Top 200. This is probably when the term evolved to "Adult" as opposed to "Album".

I imagine you have "finished" the Tales mix in the same way you did for the KC Lizard album and I can hardly wait to hear it! :)
(By "finished" I mean nuance that goes beyond the scope of the original mix to "complete" it how the band would have originally had they or the technology been able to. Hope that makes sense...)
Looking forward to Drama too!
Really really disturbing to hear tapes for GFTO might be gone. :( The stereo mix we have for that one is in just as bad of shape as the Relayer album was. What a shame...

Re: AOR.
Look up Tom Donahue.
L.A. & S.F. DJ, concert promoter, record label owner.
He started AOR FM programming on the late 60's.
Up to then Pop\Rock radio was ruled by Top-40 AM.
He's in the RnR HOF.

i would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to hear a 5.1 version of Drama Steve, I hope you and YES decide to do it. It is a very under-rated album. Fingers crossed that it happens someday.

I'll be happy if Wilson goes as far as Drama hoping that GftO and Tormato won't get left out either. Yes and Time and a Word too would be nice seeing as he's going back to Tull's Stand Up next year. Never say never indeed.

I'll be happy if Wilson goes as far as Drama hoping that GftO and Tormato won't get left out either. Yes and Time and a Word too would be nice seeing as he's going back to Tull's Stand Up next year. Never say never indeed.

SW said yesterday on his FB page that Fragile is the final Yes release to be scheduled at present.

All I can say is that I'm very glad that Geoff Downes only appears on one "classic" Yes album, which is "Drama".
In a recent Twitter exchange from a few months ago, someone asked if Steven Wilson was going to remix "Drama", and Geoff's reply? "I bloody well hope not!"

Wow…with Chris gone leaving Steve Howe, Alan White, and Geoff Downes remaining, even if the record labels eventually decided that they wanted SW to remix "Drama", could Downes & White veto it from happening? Something to think about...

Back