Steven Wilson Working with Phil Manzanera

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Steven,

I'm so very pleased that your wonderful embarrassment-of-riches classic album surround remix crusade continues with the forthcoming Roxy Music re-issues! Just heard the extended Ladytron and it was simply amazing. It would be my sincerest hope that Phil Manzanera would be interested in (or already proposed) surround issues for other albums he's been involved with? Thinking it would be dreams-come-true time if these were in surround:

Phil Manzanera - Diamond Head
Quiet Sun - Mainstream
801 - Listen Now
801 - Live
Split Enz - Mental Notes (the US version for Chrysalis in 1976 has never been issued on CD that I'm aware of; just the Australian albums it was derived from)

As far as Roxy Music goes, I will buy every single item that gets released. :)

See you in Albany, Chicago night #2 and Portland, Tim

Quiet Sun - Mainstream
801 - Listen Now
801 - Live

+10,000,000

I would also be curious to learn how much of "801 Live" is really, truly live. I absolutely love that album, but somehow I'm guessing that Mr. Eno's vocals were neither double-tracked nor that perfect during the actual show. :music

Steven,

I'm so very pleased that your wonderful embarrassment-of-riches classic album surround remix crusade continues with the forthcoming Roxy Music re-issues! Just heard the extended Ladytron and it was simply amazing. It would be my sincerest hope that Phil Manzanera would be interested in (or already proposed) surround issues for other albums he's been involved with? Thinking it would be dreams-come-true time if these were in surround:

Quiet Sun - Mainstream
801 - Listen Now
801 - Live
Split Enz - Mental Notes (the US version for Chrysalis in 1976 has never been issued on CD that I'm aware of; just the Australian albums it was derived from)

I'm also fine with getting any of these in surround as long as it doesn't impede his work on other Roxy Music, XTC, and Yes albums that haven't been remixed yet. :)

Steven,

Ahem - you mean the New Zealand album? :)

Steven,

The international album titles Mental Notes was released as Second Thoughts in Aus & NZ - they have exactly the same content, so it's not really "derived from". The international Mental Notes/Second Thoughts does contain some re-recorded version of songs that appeared on the original AUS/NZ Mental Notes as well as recoding s of songs that were rejected for the original album and 1 new song.

I'm not sure if the international Mental Notes was or wasn't released on CD under that title, but the one that has definitely never been released on CD is the North American version of Frenzy, which contains some remixed tracks, some alternative versions of original album songs from the "rootin' tootin'" Luton demos as well as some substitute songs from the Luton tapes as well. The Luton tracks have been released on CD, but the 1981 remixes have not.

STEVEN,

I was wondering if you had, since the article in Sound and Vision, ................had a chance to sit down and compile a new list? A list of Artists or Albums you "WOULD LIKE TO REMIX FOR SURROUND" Perhaps when you have time you could supply this website with your updated list.

Hope your having a great time and much success in your Concert Tour!

derek

Phil es un tío de puta madre
(he's GREAT!)
I will never fogive myself for cutting him off in the Estudios Kirios in Madrid , back in 1991,,,Oh , well, one of those moments in life when you have to play the part that you got paid for...i.e., I had some work scheduled...dang!!!

Steven,

Quiet Sun - Mainstream
801 - Listen Now
801 - Live

Once again I fear that, unlike with the Roxy albums, there is not really a sufficient market to justify the large amount of work involved for any of these albums. Even getting multitrack tapes baked and transferred can cost a few thousand pounds, and that's before any remixing or authoring is done. That doesn't necessarily mean that it couldn't happen, because there have been surround mixes issues of albums with smaller markets, not to mention that there are plenty of albums I would mix (or have mixed) for next to nothing just to see it happen. But in these cases the artist tends to own the masters themselves, and the project becomes a labour of love for all concerned.

Re the Roxy catalogue, I did the remix of the first album in 2012, and I'm no more sure if/when it's coming out than I was then, but it might be one of those situations that once they finally get the first one out things might start moving quickly through the catalogue. I hope so, I'd love to do more.

Once again I fear that, unlike with the Roxy albums, there is not really a sufficient market to justify the large amount of work involved for any of these albums. Even getting multitrack tapes baked and transferred can cost a few thousand pounds, and that's before any remixing or authoring is done. That doesn't necessarily mean that it couldn't happen, because there have been surround mixes issues of albums with smaller markets, not to mention that there are plenty of albums I would mix (or have mixed) for next to nothing just to see it happen. But in these cases the artist tends to own the masters themselves, and the project becomes a labour of love for all concerned.

Re the Roxy catalogue, I did the remix of the first album in 2012, and I'm no more sure if/when it's coming out than I was then, but it might be one of those situations that once they finally get the first one out things might start moving quickly through the catalogue. I hope so, I'd love to do more.

I can speak for many on here and say we would love you to do more...OF ANYTHING in surround...your work is superb...you are keeping our hobby(surround music)alive and well(y)

I would hope that at least the first five Roxy Music albums are remixed and reissued for us to enjoy!
That extended version of "Ladytron" on the RSD single is just fantastic and has my appetite quite wetted for more! :)

Ryan

Thanks Steven! I accept the boutique stature of these titles. If any of them could be done it would be amazing. There are certainly higher profile releases that deserve consideration. We all appreciate your continued efforts on behalf of our shared interest in surround music releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re the Roxy catalogue, I did the remix of the first album in 2012, and I'm no more sure if/when it's coming out than I was then [..]
It is promised be released in 2015 by several sources, but then again delays have happened before.
So we're hoping for sometime November, we shall see.

For Your Pleasure is my personal favorite, was that tricky to do, with all that (deliberate) compression going on?

It is promised be released in 2015 by several sources, but then again delays have happened before.
So we're hoping for sometime November, we shall see.

For Your Pleasure is my personal favorite, was that tricky to do, with all that (deliberate) compression going on?

I've only remixed the first album, at least so far. I doubt they will ask me to do any more until the first one finally gets released and they see how well it does. That definitely won't be this year I'm afraid, but fingers crossed for early 2016.

I've only remixed the first album, at least so far. I doubt they will ask me to do any more until the first one finally gets released and they see how well it does. That definitely won't be this year I'm afraid, but fingers crossed for early 2016.

Thanks for giving us the news. I suppose it had to come at some point. Very disappointed that after all the buildup, we won't be getting it this year, but I'm also hopeful for 2016 too.
While we're at it, are there any other updates on "The Seeds of Love"? You mentioned it in an interview here: http://www.theaquarian.com/2015/05/20/the-sonic-sorcerer-an-interview-with-steven-wilson/

Back