What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a factory pressed 96/24 PCM Stereo is a GREAT BONUS ...aamof, it's the best thing after a proper MCH mix...as long as the source was not tampered with...which is a rare find nowadays...most rereleases have been messed with, at least minimally...and most of them , for the worse... :(

King Crimson
The Elements box 2017

kewl!

can't wait to hear it...

(sarcastic comment alert...either the world is coming to an end or this is the last time they'll get together...because they are ALL SMILING in the photo spread in the cd case!!!!)

R-10444852-1498051159-8376.jpeg.jpg

R-10444852-1498051303-4063.png.jpg

R-10444852-1497612056-6161.jpeg.jpg

(gotta love Discogs!)

Sooooooo..
Since I work in LOGISTICS, I couldn't take it and opened up a "case" on fleabay cause this was NOT acceptable...even sent them photos of ALL FOUR bent corners!!

I was very nice but told him/her that ..nope...sorry, partial refund or ebay would eventually give me a FULL refund...and we have a happy ending...refunded me almost $18 and I'm a happy camper...

Didn't know that now , the seller can ask the buyer to CHANGE negative feedback for POSITIVE once it's solved ..so I left Positive feedback...hope they learn....
At least , I got a GREAT SOUNDING LP ....WITH THE WRONG LABELS!!!!
They were sooo lucky the LP arrived unharmed....

OK, so I spent about 30 Euros on a sealed copy of Emerson Lake and Powell LP on fleabay ($8 for the LP and $23 for s&h!!!) with the hype sticker and a "Sound Saver" sticker too.
It arrived in the most fragile packaging EVER- NO CARDBOARD!! JUST BUBBLE WRAP!!!!
Of course , the edges are all bent but miraculously the LP made it intact...also, being in shrinkwrap for 30+ odd years has warped the LP....

I don't know if I'm a magnet for these things but (just like a few years ago that I bought the "Begin Again" Soundtrack from yamazon and got it NEW , except that the disc inside was Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust" with the "Begin Again" artwork in the disc!!!!...I DID eventually got the correct disc and kept the oddity and probably saved yamazon a lot of money cause I got it right when it came out)

So..
I open the disc and the label reads....
"THE OTHER SIDE OF LIFE -THE MOODY BLUES" (....what???)
View attachment 29768

BUT
I see the LP and I noticed that the wax COULD be the ELPowell and not the Moody Blues one...and whaddayaknow????
IT IS THE ELP LP!!!
And man, it sounds GREAT!!!!
I got the CD when it came out...and it PALES in comparison soundwise...
Great pressing too...
View attachment 29767

I've come across a few mis-labeled LP's and CD's. Perhaps the most notorious incident was mis-labeling the soundtrack for Sid & Nancy as Lawrence Welk CD's: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1987-02-26/news/0110210077_1_lawrence-welk-sid-and-nancy-polka

More recently, I got a David-Clayton Thomas archival CD that certainly wasn't him. Having seen him live several times with BS&T, I have some idea of what he sounds like. Don't know what it was, but the tracks didn't correspond to the jacket, either. Disc was labeled DCT: http://www.crystalballrecords.com/m...d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/a/david-clayton-thomas.jpg

Back in the day, I got a Kimberly clear yellow LP where both sides were labelled the same. These releases came in a plain white sleeve and had a different artist and/or tribute on each side. Noting to do with Kleenex, Kimberly records sound great for early 60's. They sound as though they may be direct-to-disc, or perhaps recorded on 35MM film. A friend of mine that had an appliance store gave them to me. They were new and duplicated several discs that they used as demo music. Does anyone know anything about these?

Crazy luck...I can't say as I ever received a mislabeled LP, though it must be fairly common. Now you're going to have to include some note with it for posterity, "This really is ELP".:(

Found out that The Church, one of my favourite bands, are about to release a new record, so decided to buy the latest from 2014, Further/Deeper on vinyl. I have the CD but will be interesting to see if this one differs.

Latest LP's
New
Roger Waters - Is this the life we really want (2lp)

Used, but in fantastic shape for $1(CAD)
Louis Armstrong - Hello Dolly
Duke Ellington - The Everlasting Duke Ellington
Dick Hyman - Keyboard Kaleidoscope (On a London Ontario Music label Sparton)
Peter Appleyard - Prelude to a Kiss
Moe Koffman - Things are looking up
Moe Koffman - Live at Georges (2lp)

As for cd's
David Bowie - Cracked Actor
King Crimson - Heros
Joni Mitchell - A woman in the East
Buddy Guy - Blues Singer
Roy Wood - Original Album Series ( it was very nice to see him at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremonies for ELO)
Randy Newman - 12 songs (AF release)

The Beach Boys "1967 - Sunshine Tomorrow" (Compact Disc)

This two disc set contains a brand new stereo mix of the album "Wild Honey" along with previous unreleased studio demos from both "Wild Honey" and "Smiley Smile" (it's hard to believe those two album sessions were only 3 months apart) and live tracks from that era. The sound quality is pretty decent. Dynamic coumpression is kept to a minimum (I uploaded those results to the DR Database a little while ago). The new stereo mix was done tastefully. Some tracks sound like expanded mono while others sound like a good stereo mix. The last song, "Mama Says" is presented in mono only because they couldn't locate the 8-track tapes as well as the second to the last track, "How She Boogalooed It", the organ solo and that instrument continuing into the fade out is missing. No big deal on either. "Mama Says" is pretty much A cappella and the organ in "How She Boogalooed It" is centralized within the new stereo mix.

This is my favorite Beach Boys album and is a pop masterpiece. I've only made it through the first 16 tracks of disc one. So far, I really like what I hear. I was going to skip the disc and purchase the download but the only place I could find the files (24/88.2) are on HDTracks for a whopping $66.98. I settled on the compact disc via Amazon for a measly $17.50. The compact disc sounds so good that I'd probably wouldn't hear that $49.48 difference.

Well found a few more additions mostly from the land of the rising sun ( which is always a good thing) (y)

rez2.jpg

rez3.jpg

rez4.jpg

A Little Magic, a Little Kindness - The Complete Mono Collection - Laura Nyro 2 CD
CD 1 is More Than a New Discovery (aka/First Songs) in its' original mono mix
CD 2 is Eli, which is a foldover.
3 bonus tracks.

Biggest reason for Nyro Fans to buy this is the single version of Stoney End with a completely different first verse.

2 new lp's for the pile

Diana Krall - Stepping Out (2 180 gram purple vinyl)

Ted Nugent - Ted Nugent s/t ( 2 200 gram 45 rpm records). Turn that sucker up!!!

ps: I know I'm getting older but the weight of just these two is incredible. It seems to be almost the weight of 10 of the last century lp's.

I've been on the Abbey Road 1/2 speed master binge: Zombies- Odyssey and Oracle
Stones- Exile On Main Street
Free- Fire and Water
Police- Ghosts in the Machine
Abba- Arrival
Cream- Disraeli Gears
Plus the "classic" era Stevie Wonders, the 2016 reissues on 180gr. Purged most of my old, heavily worn albums and am enjoying the vinyl again.:smokin

I picked up The Cars - Candy-O expanded and Cage The Elephant - Unpeeled new. I found a used cd of Harry Belafonte - Belafonte At Carnegie Hall for 3 dollars. Wanted to hear the cd before I paid for the sacd. Played the cd in the car and like it. Is the 3 channel sacd worth the 30 dollars? thanks, Scott

Back