What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simon A opted for the silver MFSL edition...which has very good DR numbers...my version is not as good...but close and also contains bonus material outside the standard 4 songs...so if you look at the DR numbers on my version you will see the first 4 songs(the regular album)are very close to the MFSL disc...the bonus material isn't as good...but I wanted to see if I liked this album first...and if I'm not happy with the sound I can upgrade to the other disc...here are the numbers for both discs...when you compare them look at the first 4 songs...and I picked up a brand new copy for only $10 delivered

I'm glad you're discovering a classic album because of my mentioning it here. :)

The reason I wanted the MFSL is that contrary to the Gold MFSL titles which vary in sound quality, I find that the Silver MFSL CD titles I own all sound amazing. I had read that this CD version was meant to sound very close to the original LP, which I have, albeit only in VG- condition, which is why I was seeking a better sounding version. The other reason I did not opt for the Concord reissue is the fact that I often find that bonus tracks kill the original mood created by the album, as good as they may be musically. Clint, let us know whether you like the album once you've lived with it for a while.

I'm glad you're discovering a classic album because of my mentioning it here. :)

The reason I wanted the MFSL is that contrary to the Gold MFSL titles which vary in sound quality, I find that the Silver MFSL CD titles I own all sound amazing. I had read that this CD version was meant to sound very close to the original LP, which I have, albeit only in VG- condition, which is why I was seeking a better sounding version. The other reason I did not opt for the Concord reissue is the fact that I often find that bonus tracks kill the original mood created by the album, as good as they may be musically. Clint, let us know whether you like the album once you've lived with it for a while.

I know that I won't be getting the MFSL disc after just one listen of this disc...although dated it's sounds very good...but that's not the only reason...I just struggle with instrumental versions of Beatle songs...that was a reservation going into this purchase...I love Booker T and the MG's...heck I even owned an MG roadster "back in the day"...but for some reason I have always found that the vocal(less)versions leave me wanting more...now on other catalogs from other artists...no problem...but the Beatles music needs vocals..for me...and I do know what you mean by "bonus" material sometime detracting from the experience....well...that's not a problem here because the extras are Beatle songs...having said that...the only bonus song that I really thought was worthwhile was Day Tripper...it's a clever adaptation of the song...and let me make a disclaimer of sorts...I'm a guitar fan boy...love those guitar passages...and you get some of that in this version...there is also a noticeable drop off in sound quality on several of the bonus songs...which I expected due to the different sources used...they didn't get that velvet touch from Joe Tarantino...there was another reason why I selected that title...it was in the Stax Remastered Series...which included a remastered version of Green Onions...which I would like to have the best possible version of the title song...but after looking deeper my hopes were dashed when I saw what they did to the remastered version here..and since I don't do downloads I will have to look elsewhere for the best sounding version of Green Onions I can get on a disc...

If someone just wants the original material(the first 4 songs)I can recommend this disc for being a great value/very good sounding disc...to get something of this quality for $5(brand new)plus shipping is hard to beat...and for those that want to squeeze out more quality sound... the silver MFSL disc sounds like the ticket...

BTW...I knew from Day 1 on here that you would be a valuable asset and I always look for your input when making a purchase..

I know that I won't be getting the MFSL disc after just one listen of this disc...although dated it's sounds very good...but that's not the only reason...I just struggle with instrumental versions of Beatle songs...that was a reservation going into this purchase...I love Booker T and the MG's...heck I even owned an MG roadster "back in the day"...but for some reason I have always found that the vocal(less)versions leave me wanting more...now on other catalogs from other artists...no problem...but the Beatles music needs vocals..for me...and I do know what you mean by "bonus" material sometime detracting from the experience....well...that's not a problem here because the extras are Beatle songs...having said that...the only bonus song that I really thought was worthwhile was Day Tripper...it's a clever adaptation of the song...and let me make a disclaimer of sorts...I'm a guitar fan boy...love those guitar passages...and you get some of that in this version...there is also a noticeable drop off in sound quality on several of the bonus songs...which I expected due to the different sources used...they didn't get that velvet touch from Joe Tarantino...there was another reason why I selected that title...it was in the Stax Remastered Series...which included a remastered version of Green Onions...which I would like to have the best possible version of the title song...but after looking deeper my hopes were dashed when I saw what they did to the remastered version here..and since I don't do downloads I will have to look elsewhere for the best sounding version of Green Onions I can get on a disc...

If someone just wants the original material(the first 4 songs)I can recommend this disc for being a great value/very good sounding disc...to get something of this quality for $5(brand new)plus shipping is hard to beat...and for those that want to squeeze out more quality sound... the silver MFSL disc sounds like the ticket...

BTW...I knew from Day 1 on here that you would be a valuable asset and I always look for your input when making a purchase..

You are right, at that price, it is hard to beat.

Wow, that is a nice compliment! Thanks Clint! I hope some my other comments about my recent purchases can be as helpful to others. :)

While QQ was down, we acquired:

Like a Rose - Ashley Monroe CD
Unknown-1.jpeg

Jana Kramer CD
images-1.jpeg

Annie Up - Pistol Annies CD
Unknown-7.jpeg

My Home's in Alabama/Feels so Right/Mountain Music Alabama 3 CD (triple feature)
Unknown-8.jpeg

Metallic Spheres - The Orb featuring David Gilmour CD
Unknown-9.jpeg

I'm a country girl AND a city girl. I was born in Chicago and lived two doors down from Rahm Emanuel (near Wrigley Field) for four years. I also lived for many years in a little town on the IL/WI border. Tom Waits married a girl from our town, and wrote a song about it: Johnsburg, Illinois. There were 326 people when I lived there and our zip code was EIEIO.

I'm a fan of all GOOD music. There are over 500 country albums in my collection. I still have two of the three Alabama's I listed above on LP. In fact, we saw/listened to Shania Twain on Wednesday night. Last night, we went to see/hear Kevin Hart. Hey, isn't he country?!? :smokin

Linda- It looks like your Joe is trying to turn you into a country girl......yuk, yuk :rolleyes:

I often find that bonus tracks kill the original mood created by the album, as good as they may be musically. Clint, let us know whether you like the album once you've lived with it for a while.

Another nice benefit to having everything on a server is that you can add and delete tracks at will from the playlist. In a case like this, you could send the entire album to the playlist, then delete the last few tracks.

Last night I played the Rolling Stones' "Some Girls" in my usual way: I sent the 12" version of "Miss You" to the playlist, then added the entire album but deleted the shortened album version of "Miss You" before I actually started playing anything. Back in 1978 when the album was new, KZAP in Sacramento played the whole thing but made that substitution. I captured it on a cassette and played it into the ground, so the short version of that song just always sounds wrong to me. :)

Led Zeppelin-The Song Remains The Same/Presence/In Through The Out Door/Coda(most recent remasters in multi cd sets)

Sarah Cracknell (St. Etienne) "Red Kite", a really nice album, very acoustic, with a strong early 60s vibe.

a few since I last posted!

Bill Nelson - The Years
B%20Nelson%20-%20The-Years-350_zpsbttylrll.jpg

Tim Bowness - Stupid Things That Mean the World
large5223.jpg

Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Live at the Fox 1973
71dPwYJWiDL._SL350_.jpg

The Watkins Family Hour
81Gt4b69iML._SL350_.jpg

Sarah MacDougall - The Greatest Ones Alive
R-3707562-1341168366-4064.jpeg.jpg

Amy Annelle - Surgery
a4035093023_2.jpg

Mary Lou Lord - Backstreet Angels
R-6960311-1432878630-7956.jpeg.jpg

For those of us that still buy CD's and don't want compressed music...there are several labels... that over the years... have produced some very good CD's with excellent dynamic range numbers...and one of them is the TARGET GEMA cd's produced in West Germany...and they fetch good money on Ebay...after a recent discussion on here about Linda Ronstadt I decided to seek out some more of her music...so what better place to look than a greatest hits cd...so I grabbed volume 1 and it sounds excellent...I will be getting volume 2 very soon...here are the numbers for that one

007.JPG

I have both vol. 1 & vol. 2 on those pressings. They sound great and both have great material. I also have Get Closer on a German CD. I prefer the music and fidelity of vol. 2 over vol. 1.

...cd's produced in West Germany...and they fetch good money on Ebay...a...Linda Ronstadt...I decided to seek out some more of her music...so what better place to look than a greatest hits cd...so I grabbed volume 1 and it sounds excellent...I will be getting volume 2 very soon...

Richard Thompson 2CD Ed. (Album + EP) of "Still", its a great folk-rock album - every time I've seen him play its rained, and the post-lady delivered it today in a down-pour!

"Argus" by Wishbone Ash

I was the beneficiary of an extra sealed copy of the 2002 remastered edition of the album.
I think I have listened to a few songs of it already but never the full album before, so no excuses now! :)

Got THREE ..count'em: THREE packages yesterday...
1-Bill Nelson-Plectrajet CD -Limited edition...might as well a Maestro when he's down (almost deaf on one ear and tinnitus perenne in the other one!!)
702.jpg

2- RUSH- Hold your Fire LP -Vertigo UK (?) pressing..a fellow workmate lent me his Spanish pressing ..and it kinda sucked...hopefully , this one will be better!
R-564588-1399988988-9313.jpeg.jpg

3-Heavy Metal- Soundtrack (ALWAYS wanted this, used to have the Cheap Trick "Reach Out" 45)
Netherlands Epic "Full Moon" Pressing...
R-3273957-1331657817.jpeg.jpg

(forgot one from a couple of weeks ago)
4-Bozzio Levin Stevens-Situation dangerous CD...I got the OTHER ONE , Black Light Syndrome, which left me like..ehhh... but THIS ONE KICKS ASSS!!!
R-4639520-1370744555-7015.jpeg.jpg

Back