What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 5.1 mix is on a par with the other Springsteen live 5.1 mixes( not too discreet but decent nontheless).

I had debated getting the MoFi Gold Cd of Chuck Berry..but opted instead to try the Steve Hoffman "produced and mixed" Chess CD...from comments on his board it appears that Hoffman abandoned his usual conservative approach on this disc and was aggressive...I didn't have any Chuck Berry material so I wanted to check this out...if someone has the Mofi Gold Cd "St.Louis to Liverpool" let me know what it sounds like...

001.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg

Jimi Hendrix-Wild Blue Angel:Live at the Isle of Wight 2 cd set(bought it used today for about $3 after trading in another cd)

Songhoy Blues - "Music In Exile", Malian blues band with the craziest cover of Zep's "Kashmir"

Taste - "I'll Remember", 4CD boxset, the first 2 albums re-mastered "Taste" & "On The Boards" sound great, much better than earlier CDs, the 2 live CDs aren't such good quality but good musically. Rory Gallagher was such a talented musician.

I just got this "new release" from America. It's actually pretty nice. It's studio takes of some of their songs, and the audio is clean and crisp and really allows you to hear the guitar work and vocals of the band before all of the production is layered on. Some of the songs have "early" lyrics (different than the final versions), and the stereo spread is very wide - the Dolby decoder in the Acura does a decent job with some of the tunes.

Studio chatter, unreleased tunes and old favorites make this very worthy of checking out if you're an America fan. It will go good with your "Hearts" SACD.

America.jpg

I had debated getting the MoFi Gold Cd of Chuck Berry..but opted instead to try the Steve Hoffman "produced and mixed" Chess CD...from comments on his board it appears that Hoffman abandoned his usual conservative approach on this disc and was aggressive...I didn't have any Chuck Berry material so I wanted to check this out...if someone has the Mofi Gold Cd "St.Louis to Liverpool" let me know what it sounds like...

The Gold CD has the ever present MoFi signature of impeccable mastering from the original source tapes. The first 12 tracks from "Berry Is On Top" are in glorious mono! For "St. Louis to Liverpool", several 1964 recordings include stereo mixes with Chuck Berry's vocals well centred except "The Things I Used To Do" with vocal panned to the right; some tracks in mono.

I just finished listening on my Sennheiser HD650 headphones and the sound is astonishing for recordings of this vintage (1955 to 1964).

In my estimation, Chuck Berry is the greatest Rock n' Roller to ever strap on a guitar. I consider his music timeless and essential.

For more thoughts on MoFi Gold CD of Chuck Berry, please refer to posts #187 & 188 in this thread. Fidelity is great.

If there had been no Chuck Berry, there may have been a Beatles or Stones, but they would have sounded different. Then again, if there had been no Louis Jordan, Chuck Berry would have sounded different.

[video=youtube;PR6pHtiNT_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR6pHtiNT_k[/video]

Before there was MTV, there were video jukeboxes playing "Soundies," filmed music videos in the 1940's. This was one of those Soundies.

Linda, so nice to see you again..

got a couple of Anoushka's physical media...
"Home" on CD ..would be great to have a Hi Rez 9&/24 CD/DVD I mean, we're talking DGrammophon here...

Also got her"Traces of you" on LP (yes!!!!) ..with a voucher for...wait for it...160Kbps MP3 files..GIMME A BREAK....come oooonn...well, anyway..I'm still a sucker for her...and I started digging(collaborator for this one ,,with her sister Norah) Nitin Sawnhey when I saw him back on 2000 opening for Sting in Santiago de Compostela (great gig btw!)..."Tides" blew us away on the gig, and later , when we got the CD we realized we had seen an evolution of the song..the live version a8an earlier or later version) is on one of the Outcaste Label compilations...

Two very different releases,
"home" is more traditional, and TOY is an interesting mixture of styles...

I really need to get my new stuff posted in here...been quite a few (as usual) since the last post...if only I actually had time to listen to them!

Tusk - Fleetwood Mac Ultra Deluxe 2 LP/5 CD/DVD-V

Unknown-1.jpeg

Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young to Die - Jethro Tull Deluxe 2 CD/2 DVD-V

Unknown-6.jpeg

Division Bell 20th Anniversary Collector's Box Set - Pink Floyd 2 LP/CD/Blu-Ray/3 Colored Vinyl Singles

Unknown-7.jpeg

Tommy - The Who Super Deluxe 3 CD/Blu-Ray

Unknown-8.jpeg

Homo Erraticus - Ian Anderson Super Deluxe 2 CD/2 DVD-V

images.jpeg

Idlewild South - Allman Brothers Super Deluxe 2 CD/Blu-Ray

-idlewild-south-cdblu-ray-box-set-.jpg

Tug of War - Paul McCartney Super Deluxe 3 CD/DVD

ArticleSharedImage-54353.jpg

Pipes of Peace - Paul McCartney 2 CD/DVD Super Deluxe

24199_400x400.jpg

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John 4 CD/1 DVD-V 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

Unknown-10.jpeg

To join the sets for 1963 and 1964. Predominantly mono single versions - but there are several rare tracks in there.

1965.jpg 1965 Reverse.jpg

Back