What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
23964293769_f1d9a5ef11.jpg

23703891684_0b8806024b.jpg

just received today..from an Amazon Marketplace seller in the UK...
The Beatles..
LP in Mono reissues..
-White Album
and
-SPLHCB, which ..in typical fashion (i can NEVER get this on Mono LP without any defects!!!) has some HORRIBLE scratches(not big but deep enough to f*ck up the playback) on side A...mind you ...DISC MADE IN GERMANY(!!!!!)...what..EAST Germany??
CAN'T BELIEVE THIS MADE IT PAST QC!!!!!!(achhhh...vee don't need no steenkink qvality kontrollll!!!)

RETURNING IT ASAP.....bastards..at least the White Album looks good....

sigh....

Received my Blackstar black vinyl today. Visually stunning design but... who decided to put the vinyl inside a transparent thick plastic sleeve??? I could hardly take it away without touching it with my fingers and feeling that I was damaging it against the plastic surface.
Vinyl is noisy at times, specially during Lazarus. I need to give it a bath tomorrow and decide whether to return it or not. Damn...
By the way, mastering is quite good and you can crank it up with no distortion. In fact you need to crank it up anyway as it's recorded quite low. Bass sounds amazing in Sue.
Tomorrow will check as well the mp3 download, not high hopes for that one

Received my Blackstar black vinyl today. Visually stunning design but... who decided to put the vinyl inside a transparent thick plastic sleeve??? I could hardly take it away without touching it with my fingers and feeling that I was damaging it against the plastic surface.
Vinyl is noisy at times, specially during Lazarus. I need to give it a bath tomorrow and decide whether to return it or not. Damn...
By the way, mastering is quite good and you can crank it up with no distortion. In fact you need to crank it up anyway as it's recorded quite low. Bass sounds amazing in Sue.
Tomorrow will check as well the mp3 download, not high hopes for that one

What exactly do you mean, the vinyl is noisy at times? You mean because it requires more cleaning or what? And, when you say give it a bath...exactly how? Typical clean, or what else you do?

What exactly do you mean, the vinyl is noisy at times? You mean because it requires more cleaning or what? And, when you say give it a bath...exactly how? Typical clean, or what else you do?

A bit of everything. On Blackstar it has a periodical click on the right channel during the first seconds, most likely some piece of debris. Then there are tracks with a bit too high for my liking background noise and Lazarus sounds like the record surface is full of dirt, cracks and pops all the time.
I've got a Spinclean, so I literally bath my records. It's just a plastic container with some foam rolls where you submerge the vinyl, rotate it a few times and the cleaning solution does its magic. Pretty simple machine but does miracles on dirty records (and gets rid of the static as well)

I also gave my Bowie Blackstar RBCD a bath of sorts (my disc treatments) and loaded it into my Meridian SooLoos. Played it in Direct Mode and it really has some deep bass and a great amount of ambience...even in direct stereo mode. I did detect some compression at times but most of all, I was trying to get used to the totally new direction Bowie took his swan song in. Extremely free form jazzy and dark but before I can really make a proper assessment of the music itself, I will have to spin it a few more times.

Bowie's producer, Tony Visconti has created a rather dense wall of sound for Blackstar and one day I would love to hear it in 5.1.

That's the one I have. Its yellow color makes it a wife's favorite and automatically gets a ban to stay on the living room (the cleaner, not the wife)

Yeah, that yellow color almost scares me away. So, do you put undiluted solution in the cleaner, or do you mix solution with water? I ask because it seems the solution undiluted wouldn't last long....If you could make some comments please as I would consider buying this. :)

Also, is this intended to replace all record cleaning? Or you just do it once and then rely on the basic discwasher for future cleanings before spinning?

I use distilled water that's mixed with three small measures of the cleaning fluid that comes with the Spinclean. I wait to have around 20 unclean records and I wash them all in a row. According to the instructions the three small measures last up to 50 records. The bottle that comes with the cleaner lasts lots and the distilled water costs almost nothing in the supermarket.
Once washed I let the vinyl dry for 30 minutes or so and they go to antistatic inner sleeves. I also have a cork and rubber slipmat. I rarely have to use the regular brush for the next four or five spins, the fluid is really good against the static charge.
Some really dirty and noisy vinyl had to have a couple of cleanups before showing a noticeable improvement

Forgive my posts as they come in a little late and I am just trying to get comfortable with all that QQ has to offer. To recent RBCD's that I received out of many that I think are worth mentioning as they are new music are Walter Trout, Battle Scars and Leslie West, Soundcheck both are heavy blues rock and very good.
On this thread is it OK to mention new music or old music that is a digital stereo download recently purchased?

Forgive my posts as they come in a little late and I am just trying to get comfortable with all that QQ has to offer. To recent RBCD's that I received out of many that I think are worth mentioning as they are new music are Walter Trout, Battle Scars and Leslie West, Soundcheck both are heavy blues rock and very good.
On this thread is it OK to mention new music or old music that is a digital stereo download recently purchased?

If it's a download, nah, not the best place to discuss. Here is a download link - though it's about Flac. There are other threads specific to DSD Downloads too.

One of the few problems here at QQ is too many specific threads...it can be a challenge finding the right one at times...if you can't find the specific thread you want...you can always go to the "swiss army knife" thread...your 24/7 destination for all things musical(and off topic things too)..right here

Back