What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this in the mail today.... :) Thanks to Clint... (y)
today.jpg

What does the vinyl sound like?....the quad transfer on the DVD sounds excellent

What does the vinyl sound like?....the quad transfer on the DVD sounds excellent

Vinyl sounds great - now...I need to A/B it against the 96/24 download I already had..... I mean, not that I even care....but just to see. Spinning the vinyl, is way more cool than simply clicking a button. It really is. By the way - I put Aqualung on over the weekend...and really cranked it. It sounds stunning!

Intervals - A Voice Within. For me, Haken's "Mountain" is the best alobum that came out the last years, and this reminds me of it. It's no clone, but the musicianship and compositions reminds me of Haken. I'd really recommend it!

Yes! Haken's The Mountain is phenomenal. I've had it on CD for awhile, but just picked it up on vinyl, along with their new EP, "Restorations," though I haven't had a chance to listen to Restorations yet. Highly recommend The Mountain to any prog fans. And it would make for a killer 5.1.

I'll have to check Intervals out.

Well - I think I've run into my first bust...in terms of vinyl. I bought a shiny new copy of Revolver (supposedly remastered) Beatles. It sounds like shit. Let me find some adjectives...

1. Shrill
2. Narrow
3. Confined
4. Lack of detail

On and on....wow! Luckily I only spent $19 on this.....not sure why it sounds the way it does....but it does. Doubt I'll ever play it again.

Well - I think I've run into my first bust...in terms of vinyl. I bought a shiny new copy of Revolver (supposedly remastered) Beatles. It sounds like shit. Let me find some adjectives...

1. Shrill
2. Narrow
3. Confined
4. Lack of detail

On and on....wow! Luckily I only spent $19 on this.....not sure why it sounds the way it does....but it does. Doubt I'll ever play it again.

That's a bummer GOS, and really shocking. I would never expect that. I bought The Beatles mono box set, and Revolver (and all the others for that matter) sound fantastic.

Anyway, I had a nice little surprise waiting for me when I got home, courtesy of burningshed and FedEx . Porcupine Tree Delerium Years box set. Listening to Sky Moves Sideways right now. :music

PT.jpg

1. Shrill
2. Narrow
3. Confined
4. Lack of detail

Luckily, GOS, I had a friend who sprung for the Beatles USB stick 24/44.1 boxset and loaded it into my Meridian SooLoos. I did spring for the Beatles STEREO RBCD remasters and there's NO comparison. The 24 bit remasters sound stunning.

And of course the Beatles LOVE album (MLP DVD~A 5.1) will always be one of my very favorite ways to experience them in supreme multichannel ecstasy. If only........

Luckily, GOS, I had a friend who sprung for the Beatles USB stick 24/44.1 boxset and loaded it into my Meridian SooLoos. I did spring for the Beatles STEREO RBCD remasters and there's NO comparison. The 24 bit remasters sound stunning.

And of course the Beatles LOVE album (MLP DVD~A 5.1) will always be one of my very favorite ways to experience them in supreme multichannel ecstasy. If only........

Numbers for the USB stick here

Numbers for the USB stick here

Clint, thanks for the bad news but I really don't abide by DR scores anymore. The new Bowie RBCD also received dismal DR scores (compared to the 'superior vinyl version') but ON MY SYSTEM it really sounds amazing.

BTW, watched Spike Lee's new documentary "Michael Jackson from Motown to Off The Wall" last night on FIOS and I really don't know what to make of it. Lee interspersed footage of Michael performing selections from Off the Wall to Eddie Murphy doing his rather scathing stage impersonation of Jackson portraying him as a "freak" of sorts [pre cosmetic surgery]. We all know Jackson was a one of a kind 'wunderkind' but when the doc ended, I was left shaking my head.

And those expecting Off the Wall in 5.1 will be sadly disappointed. I found the audio mediocre at best (DD 5.1) although it did have its moments.

It's definitely worth checking out but I, personally, felt it could've been a lot better considering the Jackson family was involved in greenlighting this somewhat discombobulated venture.

Clint, thanks for the bad news but I really don't abide by DR scores anymore. The new Bowie RBCD also received dismal DR scores (compared to the 'superior vinyl version') but ON MY SYSTEM it really sounds amazing.

BTW, watched Spike Lee's new documentary "Michael Jackson from Motown to Off The Wall" last night on FIOS and I really don't know what to make of it. Lee interspersed footage of Michael performing selections from Off the Wall to Eddie Murphy doing his rather scathing stage impersonation of Jackson portraying him as a "freak" of sorts. We all know Jackson was a one of a kind 'wunderkind' but when the doc ended, I was left shaking my head.

And those expecting Off the Wall in 5.1 will be sadly disappointed. I found the audio mediocre at best (DD 5.1) although it did have its moments.

It's definitely worth checking out but I, personally, felt it could've been a lot better considering the Jackson family was involved in greenlighting this somewhat discombobulated venture.

I'm not a fan of Spike Lee or his work...I think New Yorkers inflate his actual talent...he's more celebrity than a gifted artist..IMO....as far as Michael Jackson...loved his music...but as a human being...not so much...at the very least he had an "unhealthy love for children"..or if you believe what a lot of people claim he was a child molester...and then there was the whole trying to look like Diana Ross thing....even in his music I kinda lost interest after Thriller... which was a great album...I won't be watching any Michael Jackson features...

I'm not a fan of Spike Lee or his work...I think New Yorkers inflate his actual talent...he's more celebrity than a gifted artist..IMO....as far as Michael Jackson...loved his music...but as a human being...not so much...at the very least he had an "unhealthy love for children"..or if you believe what a lot of people claim he was a child molester...and then there was the whole trying to look like Diana Ross thing....even in his music I kinda lost interest after Thriller... which was a great album...I won't be watching any Michael Jackson features...

So I guess Spike Lee gets a LOW DR SCORE....huh, Clint. Even New Yorkers are disenchanted with Spike Lee. He's WAY too much of a racist for my taste. Although his Miracle at St Anna was, IMHO, HIGHLY underrated. At the end of that film I sat there for five full minutes sobbing like a little bitch. An Excellent film.

As far as MJ is concerned.........I'm sure everything they said about him IS true. True Genius certainly has its drawbacks.....losing TOTAL touch with reality certainly being one of them.

1. Shrill
2. Narrow
3. Confined
4. Lack of detail

Well - after checking the DR database...it would appear that nearly all "versions" of Revolver are not particularly spectacular......so maybe that's what's going on. Somehow, I thought some of the Beatles LP's would sound excellent. To contrast this - I have debut Uriah Heap album and it simply sounds killer. Just night and day to compare the 2. But, yeah...there are several years difference between these 2 releases. Maybe most LP's from mid to late 60's just don't compare to the early 70's stuff. I really don't know.....

I think I just talked myself into buying a couple DOORS LP's just to see what they sound like.....oh boy...The Doors on vinyl...hear me Clint??? :) :)

Well - after checking the DR database...it would appear that nearly all "versions" of Revolver are not particularly spectacular......so maybe that's what's going on. Somehow, I thought some of the Beatles LP's would sound excellent. To contrast this - I have debut Uriah Heap album and it simply sounds killer. Just night and day to compare the 2. But, yeah...there are several years difference between these 2 releases. Maybe most LP's from mid to late 60's just don't compare to the early 70's stuff. I really don't know.....

I think I just talked myself into buying a couple DOORS LP's just to see what they sound like.....oh boy...The Doors on vinyl...hear me Clint??? :) :)

Instead of the Doors...how about the Scorpions vinyl...if you could track down this specific one ...or this one

Instead of the Doors...how about the Scorpions vinyl...if you could track down this specific one ...or this one

Oo, Baggy likey Crazy World. Talk about nostalgia. Now there's a record I growed up with. Yes, it's cheesey. No, it doesn't compare well, musically to the Uli Von Roth era and whatnot, but that's nostalgia for ya's. Or Schenker or whoever the early dudes were. You know what I mean. Virgin Killer!!! \m/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455079689.611710.jpg

Pugwash "Play This Intimately (as if among friends)"

Irish power pop with a strong connection to XTC. Andy Partridge is a contributor to the album - great songs and production - would be awesome in 5.1!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455079700.478557.jpg

Aoife O'Donovan "In The Magic Hour"

Progressive bluegrass chanteuse most recently heard as part of Goat Rodeo Sessions. A next wave Allison Krause long with contemporaries Sarah Jarosz and Sara Watkins (Nickle Creek). Can't stop playing this one.

Back