What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only had it a few months......before that it had been since early 80's since my last turntable. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Got rid of my last turntable in the late 90's. Funny is that my 18 year old daughter keep asking me why I don't buy a turntable, many of her friends have one - and she thinks it is really cool.

You need one Spock....went into Barnes & Nobles yesterday at Baltimore's Inner Harbor and they are stocking vinyl now, first time in close to 20 years. Another year and we will all be buying brand new QS and CD4 albums!

Let me tell you - this album sounds wonderful. So rich, with great detail. The bass is outstanding for the era.....Robin Gibb's vocals are simply shimmering...what a talent he was.

Yes! Original suede album jacket. So, cool....

Odessa.jpg

I must have missed the discussion when that custom isolation system was in the development phase. So what ya got goin on there?

You need one Spock....went into Barnes & Nobles yesterday at Baltimore's Inner Harbor and they are stocking vinyl now, first time in close to 20 years. Another year and we will all be buying brand new QS and CD4 albums!

That will be great - hope you are right :)

I must have missed the discussion when that custom isolation system was in the development phase. So what ya got goin on there?

Hahaha! Well, it's still not good enough. I had 4 paving bricks out in the garage and also some styrofoam type stuff. It's better than it was...but I'm not happy yet. If anyone has some ideas, I'm all ears. If I have to spend some money...I will. :)

Hahaha! Well, it's still not good enough. I had 4 paving bricks out in the garage and also some styrofoam type stuff. It's better than it was...but I'm not happy yet. If anyone has some ideas, I'm all ears. If I have to spend some money...I will. :)

How about a sandbox? You make a box a bit bigger than the turntable, fill it about 3/4 full of sand, place a board that is smaller than the box opening et voila, isolation. Works for speakers too! I would suggest a more sturdy table, if it gets WAF.

I've found out a long time ago that it's never a good idea to have the turntable near any speakers. Probably why you are isolating the tt the way you are. I think that is your center channel speaker right underneath, correct.

I've found out a long time ago that it's never a good idea to have the turntable near any speakers. Probably why you are isolating the tt the way you are. I think that is your center channel speaker right underneath, correct.

yes it is. It's hard...I mean if cable length were not an issue, I'd have the TT further away...but I hear longer cables are a big no no as well.

How about a sandbox? You make a box a bit bigger than the turntable, fill it about 3/4 full of sand, place a board that is smaller than the box opening et voila, isolation. Works for speakers too! I would suggest a more sturdy table, if it gets WAF.

Something tells me if I put sand in a box, that my cat will find other uses for it. lol.
Not a bad idea though. :)

If your cat is that close to the turntable, you have bigger problems, GOS! The idea is isolation, not visible sand. If the top board is say 1/4" smaller then the opening of the box, your feline hostess will not be interested....much.

If your cat is that close to the turntable, you have bigger problems, GOS! The idea is isolation, not visible sand. If the top board is say 1/4" smaller then the opening of the box, your feline hostess will not be interested....much.

hahaha. I know, I was joking mostly....It would be super easy for the cat to jump on the shelf there...but for some reason, he has no interest. Luckily....

Maybe there isn't enough interest. I am almost tempted to suggest a toy that sits on the record as it spins, just to see the reaction. There was a toy with many mirrors that was to give a moving picture effect to the pictures on the label of some children's records, or the dancing man for the Victrola. Seriously though, My favourite isolation came from packing my Mother brought home from work. It was a dense plastic foam used to pack heavy transformers at Allen-Bradley. It wasn't pretty, but it did damp the vibrations from the computer on the same dek, and I could type without miscueing the record. The block of foam was about 4" thick and the width/depth of my turntable, I cut holes for the feet to sit in and the whole table was isolated.

Beautiful solo piano versions of Bowie's "Life on Mars" and "Space Oddity" from Mr. Wakeman. A nice original composition of Wakeman's is included as well. Dirt cheap (only £3) on Amazon UK and all the proceeds go to a cancer support charity in Bowie's memory.

51rx1-qMzsL._SY300_.jpg

Patto
Hold your Fire (1971)
US Vertigo pressing (don't EVER buy any Arkarna release)

NOTE; basically ANYONE from this site will LOVE this album.
..this is where it all gelled and Ollie's playing was beyond the Solar system!!!!!!(and so was the rest of the band: Mike had one of the BEST ROCK voices ever, Clive was a bass wiz and Admiral John Halsey really know how to lay down a SOLID foundation)

hyf-uscover.jpg

it's quite interesting...Music DOES COME ALIVE in vinyl....Patto is a good example...I only had listened to it on CD from the 1995 compilation "Sense of the Absurd", and when I got the LPs, even though they are 45+ years old, it was a WHOLE DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE (damn the clicks and pops!)...Last night I was listening to HHYF and I was BLOWN AWAY!!! and it's not a SUPER HIFI production..just your normal early 70's studio sound, but man....it blew the CD AWAY BIG TIME!!!
Funnily enough, the 3 Patto Lps I have (the ONLY ONES too) are ALL US pressings....but , ahhhhh, I got 2 of them signed by the Admiral..WHICH I WILL NEVER EVER SELL!!!!!

Back