What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some great titles and great deals, Clint. Wonder if it contains new remasterings. I have the ORG SACDs of Coltrane's MY FAVORITE THINGS and Ornette Coleman's SHAPE OF JAZZ TO COME if you know anything about ORG SACDs.....they're TOP SHELF.

For MY money, I VERY highly recommend The Robert Cray Band "4 Nights of 40 Years Live" consisting of 2 RBCDs and a Blu Ray video of the live event. So far I've played Disc 1 (RBCD) and it's amazing.......Will spin the BD~V tonight. And the price is also amazing: under $15 at Deep Discount (2 RBCDs/1 BD~V). http://www.deepdiscount.com/robert-cray-4-nights-of-40-years-live/819873012146 or even better pricing @ AmazonUS http://www.amazon.com/Nights-Years-...+cray+4+nights+40+years+bluray&tag=acleint-20

I like Robert Cray but I was disappointed to see the Blu Ray was just 2.0...let me know how you like the blu ray..

I like Robert Cray but I was disappointed to see the Blu Ray was just 2.0...let me know how you like the blu ray..

Frankly, Clint, I didn't even notice that the Robert Cray BD~V was 2.0 but based on the RBCD's sound (actually, dazzling/NO compression artifacts whatsoever), I wouldn't let that deter you especially since 2.0 decodes very well via Prologic II or the equivalent.....so you'll probably get the same amount of audience applause/ambience in the rears (same as if it would be 5.1 in most LIVE recording BD~Vs)

Amazon's almost unanimous 5 star reviews are right on the money as far as I'm concerned but will check out the BD~V tonight (for sure, bud)!

BTW, the DVD/2 RBCD Cray package, ironically, is only about a dollar less.......Lossy 2.0/480i......UGH!

I have ALL of ORG's 8 SACDs.....unfortunately, a lot of their pre~announced SACDs were canceled (probably due to poor sales).

BTW, CLINT, any 'deals' on the upcoming AF QUAD SACD sampler "The Collection" [due out 4/15) So far NO listings on either DD or Import CDs. AmazonUS has it for list ($34.95).

The reason they aren't listed yet on DD or importCDs is that the release date is too far out....it's May 20....

Neither store has a better price than amazon, so I'm sticking with them right now for this order.

As an old owl once surmised: NEVER Pay retail!

Even the rich live by that adage.

Only last week, RT, one could obtain the $60 Dylan Bootleg SACDs for approximately $38 @ Deep Discount (with their 15% off sale) and with the $22 saved buy another AF QUAD SACD for that exact amount.

A penny saved is a penny EARNED.

Clint's right, and that's why I love amazon with their preorder price guarantee. Things have gone pretty well for me by ordering some of these AF SACDs as soon as they are available for preorder, then watching and smiling as the price rises or falls, knowing the whole time that I'm gonna get their lowest price during that entire period. And I get free prime shipping so most of those SACDs arrive on their retail release date. Amazon is not the best option for everyone, but it works pretty damn well for me. :)

Clint's right, and that's why I love amazon with their preorder price guarantee. Things have gone pretty well for me by ordering some of these AF SACDs as soon as they are available for preorder, then watching and smiling as the price rises or falls, knowing the whole time that I'm gonna get their lowest price during that entire period. And I get free prime shipping so most of those SACDs arrive on their retail release date. Amazon is not the best option for everyone, but it works pretty damn well for me. :)

RT, I used to order a LOT more from AmazonUS. Their Blu ray video prices are UNBEATABLE, but when it comes to SACDS, not so impressive. I, too, have Prime but I'm also subjected to New York State sales tax (7 3/4%). With Deep Discount, I don't pay sales tax and usually buy enough to get free shipping and with their frequent 10~15% off sales, they really cannot be beat (along with ImportCD). I've paid as low as $20 (even LOWER) for AF SACDs (delivered) and so I have to wait a week to get the disc.....so what....

And remember, I've owned sometimes MANY incarnations of these titles (LP, cassette, 8 track, Open Reel, RBCD, etc.) so getting them at THE lowest price is a "game" I love to play.

Hehe - just received Donna Summer - Love To Love You Baby album...40th anniversary reissue. Sounds excellent....all of side 1 is the single, Love To Love You Baby....wow! Takes up all of side 1.

Good stuff man...

A few years ago, I bought an expanded Odessa on CD. It also has a "fuzzy" cover. Marley Purt Drive!

I also bought the 2-CD expanded Bee Gees 1st (still my favorite!), Horizontal and Idea a couple years ago. Idea has the original UK cover.

Regarding the discussion from a month ago about record stores stocking surround titles, one of my favorite stores has been stocking Blu-Ray and SACD surround titles, as well as 2ch hybrid SACD's. When in the Milwaukee area, check out the Exclusive Company's (Say it With Me!) Greenfield store. http://www.exclusivecompany.com It's on 76th st., just North of Southridge, which is the largest shopping mall in Wisconsin. They have a great selection of vinyl, imports, Prog rock, oldies, and used. If you dig metal, they also have a dedicated room in back called MetalHaus.

I'll weigh in on vinyl, as well: I've been collecting vinyl for 49 years. My 1st purchase was a 78 of a sea shanty, Cindy, oh Cindy - Vince Martin & the Tarriers (with a then-unknown Alan Arkin.) I was 3. Nearly 10,000 hunks of wax have passed through my hands. I still continue to buy them and own over 5,000. Mono, Quad and albums never released on CD are the typical LP's I buy these days. Yet, I would much rather own a Blu-Ray-A, DVD-A, SACD, or even a CD than vinyl IF they are mastered well. Digitally recorded LP's. 1/2 speed masters, audiophile (re)releases, Japanese and (most) EU imports sound wonderful! I own over 15,000 CD's, so that reinforces my preference.

Analog open reel's specs are less than digital media (at least on paper.) Yet, nearly EVERY 7 1/2 ips prerecorded reel I own sounds better than any other medium, even when compared to SACD! IF you're into reels, don't bother with 3 3/4 ips format. I've yet to hear a prerecorded 3 3/4 ips one that sounds any good. (Although I've just mentioned the subject in the CD/LP thread, please confine discussion of open reel to it's dedicated threads) :)

Odessa is my second favourite Bee Gees album after Trafalgar. Idea is my third. Love those lads.:)

Spirits Having Flown was released on a Nautilus 1/2 speed mastered LP, which sounds much better.

Wow, got this one when it came out!!!
The vinyl was never too good, and the cover was damaged along with a bunch of LPs -well, my LP collection I left back home that I found in my black trunk OUTSIDE THE HOUSE , so it got ALL THE MORNING SUN (you should see my ELO "Secret messages")...but it still played fine a few years ago when I needledroped it...

A CAVEAT on Jefferson Starship Gold CD's. The first US RCA CD sounds awful. I recall there even being a couple needle drops on it. The re-done one from the 90's does sound good.

Nevertheless, some great, great tracks on this.

"If you don't have it, that's why you need it." - Yogi Berra

Starship - GOLD! Wow, very nice.

Tyranny & Mutation would be an excellent 4.0 SACD. I have it on SQ LP, Q8 & CD.

Still, if they had to do only 1 BOC Quad on SACD, Secret Treaties would be my preference. It's my favorite BOC by a mile. I bought that on SQ LP, Q8, CD & '01 expanded CD. Check out the expanded CD of Secret Treaties. 5 GRRREAT bonus tracks, including Born to be Wild, which was previously only a single B-side.

I'm on the lamb, but I ain't no sheep.

I'm curious if Audio Fidelity will be able to release this album as a Quadraphonic SACD in the coming months or years.
Obviously we'll get one song from this album on the upcoming Collection, but I wonder if they are able to release the full album at some point too.
That one would certainly please all of the members on here crying out for more hard rock stuff. :)

I haven't heard some of them, although I own quite a few, though not any on this pressing, of course.

I'm complete on Coltrane and IMHO nearly all of his albums are good. Giant Steps and My Favorite things are perennial best sellers with good reason. Good albums to start a Trane collection.

I'm near complete on Satchmo. I spent an entire afternoon in his home in Corona, Queens. There are tours that are offered. He had some serious circa 1970 hi-fi gear, including some vintage Marantz. Kitchen cabinets and appliances have the same paint job as his turquoise Cadillac. If I tried to get some GM auto paint, I'm sure they'd laugh and that's as far as it goes. The company that makes the paint is an old client of mine and that would be a dead end, too. When you're IMHO the greatest trumpet player EVER, mountains can move. Although I have over 500 Miles albums, Louis is still the best. And DON'T call him "Louie." He hated that. Ahem, now about the music. Louis/Duke Together for the First Time is a great album with excellent fidelity. If you're serious about it, there is an expanded multiple CD version. My recommendation is to find the very rare Classic Records 2ch DVD-A which presents the expanded version in 24/96 on a single DVD-A. Highly recommended.

I'm also complete on Rahsaan Roland Kirk. IMHO, he was a genius. The Inflated Tear is one of his best. Other than the two aforementioned Trane CD's, this may be the best album in the batch. He could play multiple wind instruments simultaneously via a technique called circular breathing. He also claims to have invented a couple instruments he played called the Manzello and Stritch. Sadly, he was shunned by some jazz folks in his lifetime who labeled him gimmicky. Ridiculous! Today, he's generally respected for the immense talent that he was. There was/is no one else like him.

I own very little Sonny Stitt. But I like everything I've heard of his. Few people know this, but he briefly replaced Coltrane in Miles' band. There is a good European radio broadcast 2 CD set that features him with Miles.

Although the Zawinul has its' moments, it is radically different from his Weather Report albums. I'm complete on them and Papa Joe, too.

I bought all the Jackie McLean and Lee Morgan SACD's and like them all. Jackie also played with Miles in the 50's. I haven't heard these albums, though. I own some other MJQ and Lee Konitz albums. Again, I like everything I've heard by them. I would be leery of the MJQ No Sun in Venice by John Lewis. Although I love MJQ, I was turned off by a Columbia solo album he did called POV.

Besides Miles, I own perhaps 1000 jazz albums. I must admit there are several names on this list I've never heard or heard of.

Since Quad Linda is in the house(which is nice to see)..I'd like a few recommendations for the best content in THIS GROUP

I haven't heard some of them, although I own quite a few, though not any on this pressing, of course.

I'm complete on Coltrane and IMHO nearly all of his albums are good. Giant Steps and My Favorite things are perennial best sellers with good reason. Good albums to start a Trane collection.

I'm near complete on Satchmo. I spent an entire afternoon in his home in Corona, Queens. There are tours that are offered. He had some serious circa 1970 hi-fi gear, including some vintage Marantz. Kitchen cabinets and appliances have the same paint job as his turquoise Cadillac. If I tried to get some GM auto paint, I'm sure they'd laugh and that's as far as it goes. The company that makes the paint is an old client of mine and that would be a dead end, too. When you're IMHO the greatest trumpet player EVER, mountains can move. Although I have over 500 Miles albums, Louis is still the best. And DON'T call him "Louie." He hated that. Ahem, now about the music. Louis/Duke Together for the First Time is a great album with excellent fidelity. If you're serious about it, there is an expanded multiple CD version. My recommendation is to find the very rare Classic Records 2ch DVD-A which presents the expanded version in 24/96 on a single DVD-A. Highly recommended.

I'm also complete on Rahsaan Roland Kirk. IMHO, he was a genius. The Inflated Tear is one of his best. Other than the two aforementioned Trane CD's, this may be the best album in the batch. He could play multiple wind instruments simultaneously via a technique called circular breathing. He also claims to have invented a couple instruments he played called the Manzello and Stritch. Sadly, he was shunned by some jazz folks in his lifetime who labeled him gimmicky. Ridiculous! Today, he's generally respected for the immense talent that he was. There was/is no one else like him.

I own very little Sonny Stitt. But I like everything I've heard of his. Few people know this, but he briefly replaced Coltrane in Miles' band. There is a good European radio broadcast 2 CD set that features him with Miles.

Although the Zawinul has its' moments, it is radically different from his Weather Report albums. I'm complete on them and Papa Joe, too.

I bought all the Jackie McLean and Lee Morgan SACD's and like them all. I haven't heard these albums, though. I own some other MJQ and Lee Konitz albums. Again, I like everything I've heard by them. I would be leery of the MJQ No Sun in Venice by John Lewis. Although I love MJQ, I was turned off by a Columbia solo album he did called POV.

Besides Miles, I own perhaps 1000 jazz albums. I must admit there are several names on this list I've never hear or heard of.

Thanks...as always a wealth of information and done with style!

Back