What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Sladest album from 1973. U.S. release on the Reprise label. No gatefold or booklet. :violin

That's the one I used to own, but I've decided to upgrade with a UK 1st pressing. Some of the tracks are far from audiophile sound quality, but I find the disc has a bit more punch and better presence. :) Love the band.

Pink Floyd's first four LPs (2016 repressings). I'm listening on headphones to Electric Moo right now and I aborted the listening of the live disk due to the hiss. I did not remember it being so bad, but I just checked it's exactly the same on the CD. Doh!

I moved to the studio sides, I haven't listened to them in years. Hiss is bearable and to my surprise I liked a lot again Sisyphus.

Anyway, what really amazes me is that the vinyl is playing without a single dust or static click. Nothing! I did not clean the record before its first playing and here in Madrid with the heat and air conditioning as soon as you get a record out of its sleeve you can see the dust flying towards it. Full silence in this case.

I'll continue with More later on, although from a quick sample I made earlier in the week hiss is also a bit disturbing on Cymbaline

I've always been disappointed with the Slade albums after seeing them live in 1978, they just had so much energy on stage which doesn't come over on an album, I saw them a year or so ago without Noddy Holder and it just wasn't the same.

Some of you might find this a tad odd, but there are a few types of music that I will only listen to on vinyl. Hard Rock and Glam.

Here are the latest two additions to my Glam LP collection. Slade's Sladest 1st UK pressing (gatefold cover with booklet intact) and Bowie's Hunky Dory 2nd UK pressing (Gem/Mainman release). I love them to bits. :) Next on my list is a Marc Bolan comp and the Mott The Hoople German 45 (with picture sleeve) of All The Young Dudes.

~ ~ ~
I just bought my first dedicated quadraphonic vinyl LP album.
Columbia SQ MQ31018
99¢! @ goodwill.

The only reason I bought this copy was, despite having a tattered cover, the disc itself looks nearly mint, also because of what I read on the site "What Comes Around - Goes Surround".

Apparently Walter -> Wendy Carlos was so appalled at the encoded SQ mangling of the original discrete 4 track master that she asked that the title be pulled from the shelves and disposed of, and at great personal loss, just to save the public from being exposed to a ruined work of music.

I already have an excellent regular stereo copy, so I'll be able to perform an A/B comparison.
~ ~ ~

I went to my local Half Price Books that I try and hit every couple weeks. I was going though the cds when I ran across The Tarney/Spencer Band - Run For Your Life & bonus tracks. Have had the vinyl since it came out but did not know the cd existed. I felt that for 4.99 that I needed it. Listening through the computer right now and it sounds like I remember. I will add it to my list of things that need to be played loud this weekend when home alone. Just thought I would mention a light seller, but a blast from my high school days. Scott

Elton John: Love Songs (K2HD) 41H3BdzyZLL.jpg
Great fidelity, & dynamic range

~ ~ ~
I just bought my first dedicated quadraphonic vinyl LP album.
Columbia SQ MQ31018
99¢! @ goodwill.

~ ~ ~

Edit,,,

I forgot to write in the post what album this is:
It is Switched On Bach
This album has been voted one of the most influential albums ever released, and with good reason.

~ ~ ~

Van Morrison-It's Too Late To Stop Now(3 cd/ dvd set).......The Steve Miller Band-The Joker Live

Just received this lovely original German 45 with picture sleeve. Yeah! More Glam on vinyl. :)

BTW, there is a dedicated thread for Matrix Quad LP/CD's, which includes SQ releases like this one: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-to-Your-Pile-SQ-QS-RM-EV&p=299120#post299120

I love S-O-B and Wendy Carlos. I've owned it on SQ, Q8, 1/2 speed LP, CD and the CD included in the Switched-On box set, which you NEED! Long before there was Caitlyn Jenner, there was Wendy Carlos.

Quad Linda
Quad Goddess and Friendly Moderator

Edit,,,

I forgot to write in the post what album this is:
It is Switched On Bach
This album has been voted one of the most influential albums ever released, and with good reason.

~ ~ ~

Ok, so I purchase and otherwise get ahold of a lot of 2 channel music that I never post here about but this one was so exceptional that I felt I must: Billy Cobham - Spectrum Live at 40. This is hands down one of the top 10 jazz albums to come out in the last 10 years. I had "otherwise" gotten ahold of a copy of this, thinking alright so it's gonna be some old farts reminiscing musically over a 70's jazz/rock fusion masterpiece, while mostly butchering outstanding compositions with classic old fart expediancy. So I thought I'm an old fart too what the hell, as i'm popping it into my cd player while remembering the first time I heard the original Spectrum album and going holy shit this is good and feeling weak in the knees. And then again hearing this masterpiece as a 5.1 dvda, a mind blower.
Well I was dead ass wrong! I had to sit down. This double disc set is outstanding. It is smoking jazz/rock fusion directly from the 70's. Better than I have heard for 20 years. No old farts falling off their stools from narcoleptic melancholy music here! If you are/were/or might be a fan of the 70's hard hitting style jazz/rock fusion then this album is a must have. This is so good that after getting it for free I went to amazon and bought it. Kevin

Ok, so I purchase and otherwise get ahold of a lot of 2 channel music that I never post here about but this one was so exceptional that I felt I must: Billy Cobham - Spectrum Live at 40. This is hands down one of the top 10 jazz albums to come out in the last 10 years. I had "otherwise" gotten ahold of a copy of this, thinking alright so it's gonna be some old farts reminiscing musically over a 70's jazz/rock fusion masterpiece, while mostly butchering outstanding compositions with classic old fart expediancy. So I thought I'm an old fart too what the hell, as i'm popping it into my cd player while remembering the first time I heard the original Spectrum album and going holy shit this is good and feeling weak in the knees. And then again hearing this masterpiece as a 5.1 dvda, a mind blower.
Well I was dead ass wrong! I had to sit down. This double disc set is outstanding. It is smoking jazz/rock fusion directly from the 70's. Better than I have heard for 20 years. No old farts falling off their stools from narcoleptic melancholy music here! If you are/were/or might be a fan of the 70's hard hitting style jazz/rock fusion then this album is a must have. This is so good that after getting it for free I went to amazon and bought it. Kevin
~ ~ ~
Kevin, have you heard the most recent Billy Cobham version of the song Spectrum found on the superbly recorded, engineered and mastered stereo CD from Switzerland?, look for Drum and Voice, Volumes I, II & III.
Brian Auger, Chaka Khan, a long list of great performers there.
I play that album loud enough to rattle all the China off the kitchen cupboards in all my neighbors houses!

Check it out on YouTube and please be kind enough to report back your impressions.
Glenn

...."I've got to give it uuuup!"...

(Thank you, Phil)

THIN LIZZY

"Jailbreak"

UK 1st pressing LP (with the cut "window" in front and the Roger Dean labels...)
R-398776-1324479435.jpeg.jpg
R-398776-1324479637.jpeg.jpg

and

KATE BUSH

"Love and anger" 12"

R-483471-1121453551.jpg.jpg

(with these on the B Side)
R-483471-1383052588-5116.jpeg.jpg

Back