What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Son came home yesterday and presented me with another album. He picked it out.....it sounds absolutely wonderful. Very dynamic, I guess it's from 1974. I don't know the album, but again it sounds excellent. No crackles or pops.

IMG_6579.jpg

The Visit by Loreena McKennitt on limited, numbered, vinyl edition. Digitally sourced, but stunningly sounding.
Price in Loreena's site in CAD dollars is quite good.

Well, so far my purchase of Mott The Hoople box, is a homerun. I put on the 1969 album and it sounds absolutely dense, warm and clear. Wow. The Atlantic album is super heavy, and thick. Not some skinny, floppy cheapo. I love this. I got 4 LP's for $49 sharp. A great deal for such outstanding music (that I've never even heard). They rock! By the way, this is a Rhino release...they are doing some great work aren't they?

my baby got me Nick Drake's "Five leaves left" on LP , of course , the "Back to Black" reissue (no, we would never spend 750+ EUR on an LP, which is the going price for the original pressing).

Sounds pretty decent.
Had to get in touch with the UMV people cause my download code did not work...and lo and behold, they ANSWERED and gave me a code that worked....

I was interested because it said it offered 3 downloads:
1-MP3 (128..really?? they couldn't even make it 256?)
2-a 96/24 FLAC , which is a travesty cause there it's PITCH BLACK above 20K, so what was the use?
3-an MP3 (again) of a very badly treated first pressing (clicks and pops and surface noise galore)

Interesting cause I always thought (I have a 2003 (?) CD remaster) that the strings on "Way to blue" were distorted because the original master was in bad shape, but after listening to the "vinyl rip", it sounds the same , so they were badly recorded to begin with...

The LP itself is not bad and it sounds much better than any of the other options...

Anyway, I think this is Nick's best and just having it in wax is pretty cool....

Thanks , my love!

KATE BUSH

"Love and anger" 12"

View attachment 26545

(with these on the B Side)
View attachment 26546

HOLY MOLEY BATMAN!!!!!
Last night I was needledropping Kate's 12" and OHMYGAWD!!!!!!
THIS IS THE SINGLE LOUDEST VINYL I HAVE EVER HAD!!!!!

Ian Cooper likes his volume!!!

Since I use my Pioneer receiver's phono preamp, it did something it has NEVER DONE BEFORE:

IT WAS FLASHING a red light I didn't know existed that said "OVER" whenever it was too loud..

I mean, on the one hand, I appreciate a nice loud cut, but this one takes the cake!!!!! geeeezzz..

One good thing..it wasn't overly compressed , I'm sure it has a VERY DECENT DR....and the quality of the vinyl was miles better than her mid 80's 12" remixes (from Hounds of Love, the biggest offender being "The Big Sky" -meteorological mix, which is almost unplayable...)

New Jeff Beck - Loud Hailer...check it out folks, the DR sucks but this thing rocks! Female vocals that I kinda like, this is a no apologies protest album and his guitar work is some of the best I've heard from Jeff in years. 72 you say?

image_zpsunnusuwt.jpg

I picked up yesterday from the bargains bin at Fnac Peter Gabriel's Car (the two 45s) and ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition (vinyl reedition) both sealed for 9€ each. Amazing finding!

Been looking for an affordable copy of this and finally found one in a local shop. A truly great and (unfortunately) overlooked piece of the Bowie catalog. I really loved his mid-90's period. I thought the live band he had in '96/'97 was his best band ever. (Yeah, I even liked them more than The Spiders. I know I'll get some grief for that!) This album could be crazy in surround.

20160722_164753_zpsnwgpj1i7.jpg

Day Of The Dead[The National's 5 cd tribute to the Grateful Dead]

Last edited:
Dire Straits - On Every Street

Why the hell I never bought this escapes me.
This is a really good CD :smokin

Nice little haul today...

Radiohead - Moon Shaped Pool LP
Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills LP
Beach Boys - Sunflower SACD
Beach Boys - Smiley Smile SACD

Oh, and got some subwoofer isolation feet to try on my sub. Supposedly greatly reduces vibrations and I guess I'm hoping it helps with my turntable vibrations due to sub. :)

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
This is the monumental first solo of George's since The Beatles breakup (third solo overall). This almost feels like a mini-box as it opens like a box and has 3 LP's. 2 of them the ones you know and a third one which is simply called Apple Jam, which is considered very informal jamming. I've never heard that 3rd LP...should be cool.

Red House Painters - Ocean Beach
Long out of print 4th album released in 1995. Back in print now...and in it's original format double LP which includes an acoustic cover of Long Distance Run Around. Additionally, the double LP contains a "hidden" track at end of side C. All are intact on this back in print beauty.

Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About
1996 debut album from this growingly popular indie/alternative band. Good stuff.

BTO - Bachman-Turner Overdrive, 1989 CD

A meaty rock album with great guitar work and a rough but attractive vocal track. Includes one of my all-time favorite songs - "Blue Collar", with dueling guitars, and great dynamics. I challenge anyone to avoid nodding your head in tune with the song as it progresses :smokin

I also have this song on the later release "Greatest Hits: Best of B.T.O. (So Far)". Sadly it suffers from volume compression and doesn't sound near as good as the original CD.

Steve

Blue collar is my favorite BTO song. The first BTO is my favorite of theirs. Also check out Brave Belt II, BTO'S predecessor .
BTO - Bachman-Turner Overdrive, 1989 CD [/B

A meaty rock album with great guitar work and a rough but attractive vocal track. Includes one of my all-time favorite songs - "Blue Collar", with dueling guitars, and great dynamics. I challenge anyone to avoid nodding your head in tune with the song as it progresses :smokin

I also have this song on the later release "Greatest Hits: Best of B.T.O. (So Far)". Sadly it suffers from volume compression and doesn't sound near as good as the original CD.

Steve

Blue collar is my favorite BTO song. The first BTO is my favorite of theirs. Also check out Brave Belt II, BTO'S predecessor .

Reminds me of an early Steely Dan...niiiice...thanks Linda...

:smokin

Back