DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery 40th Anniversary (Steven Wilson 5.1 Mix) [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY [2015 Mix]

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 34 50.0%

Votes: 26 38.2%

Votes: 6 8.8%

Votes: 1 1.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.5%

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD release containing a DTS 5.1 surround mix mixed by Steven Wilson.(n)(y)

Minstrel In The Gallery 5.1 mix only please

Attachments

• minstrel.jpg
    minstrel.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,038
I don't give 10s often...this is a 10.

It's how surround remixes of classic albums should be. This one of my two favorite Tull albums, and SW gets pretty much everything right on the remix, starting from the 'gallery' intro and Martin Barre's blazing entrance in the title track, to the last string quartet note of 'Grace'. It's also one of the rare 5.1 remixes that definitely *improves* on the original mix (rather than just being an interesting alternate).

Last edited:
My copy came today from Burning Shed, I had the time to give the 5.1 album 2 listens. I have always thought of this album as i bit on the depressing side possibly because it came out the same time my Mom passed away. Andersons writing of lyrics and music are dead on and some of his finest ! One thing that differs on this album is the musical "space" there are lots of layers going on but not every song is filled with every instrument Ian could play! The "space" also makes the 5.1 mix SUPER dynamic !
The Bass is crystal clear and you hear every note, powerful but tight ! the drums are the same clear and punchy. Another thing that i liked was Mr. Wilsons usage of the the Front Left Right And Center for the lead vocals, this had Ians vocals very clear and not fighting for a space in the mix. I have always liked the vocals this way on 5.1 mixs, its a personal preferance . added to the song line up is Summer Day Sands , a sonic treat. As usual the packaging is fantastic , loaded with facts and photos and in the neat box that TAAB Passion,War Child came in . I wish Benefit was packaged this way! I hope Steve Wilson continues to work on the Tull Catalogue as there are some great ones still left... Songs From The Wood and Heavey Horses Too Old... Im also very curious why STAND UP was passed over. as with any TULL fan that was a classic album ! So happy to have all the TULL in 5.1 !

I gave it a 9 because after a 10 there is nothing more !
My copy came today from Burning Shed, I had the time to give the 5.1 album 2 listens. I have always thought of this album as i bit on the depressing side possibly because it came out the same time my Mom passed away. Andersons writing of lyrics and music are dead on and some of his finest ! One thing that differs on this album is the musical "space" there are lots of layers going on but not every song is filled with every instrument Ian could play! The "space" also makes the 5.1 mix SUPER dynamic !
The Bass is crystal clear and you hear every note, powerful but tight ! the drums are the same clear and punchy. Another thing that i liked was Mr. Wilsons usage of the the Front Left Right And Center for the lead vocals, this had Ians vocals very clear and not fighting for a space in the mix. I have always liked the vocals this way on 5.1 mixs, its a personal preferance . added to the song line up is Summer Day Sands , a sonic treat. As usual the packaging is fantastic , loaded with facts and photos and in the neat box that TAAB Passion,War Child came in . I wish Benefit was packaged this way! I hope Steve Wilson continues to work on the Tull Catalogue as there are some great ones still left... Songs From The Wood and Heavey Horses Too Old... Im also very curious why STAND UP was passed over. as with any TULL fan that was a classic album ! So happy to have all the TULL in 5.1 !

A definite 10 for me.

My favourite Tull album has never sounded better, and I can't stop playing this. An impressive surround mix, with everything sounding great and clear. The drums sound much better than the original.

Packaging as ever in this wonderful Tull series is first class, lots of pictures and stuff to read in the large accompanying book. Again a lot of content for the price, including the album and extras in cd and 5.1 dvd format, and the Paris gig cd and 5.1 dvd.

I would like some advice here. I love Aqualung and Benefit, but I'm lukewarm on TAAB, Passion Play, and War Child. Is Minstrel in the Gallery closer in sound and presentation to the first two titles mentioned or the others. Listening to albums on Youtube does not hack it for me when making this kind of decision. Thanks.

Let me suggest that even if you are lukewarm on taab. Passion play and warchild you should do yourself a big favour and buy them along with minstrel. They are that good and IMO the best overall deals out there in the world of multi channel music.. The extras are better than many featured surround sound albums. Just my opinion but I bet you would get a new found fondness for these albums once you have them..

I totally agree there is not a bad sounding 5.1 mix in the bunch ! they all have a bit of a different sound due to the recording studios used and Aqualung is on BluRay with Bowel busting bass! i would have to say that TAAB does have a bit more compressed sound to it but the 5.1 mix opens it up and its like listening to it for the first time! if your a TULL fan dont miss out on any of these !!!
Let me suggest that even if you are lukewarm on taab. Passion play and warchild you should do yourself a big favour and buy them along with minstrel. They are that good and IMO the best overall deals out there in the world of multi channel music.. The extras are better than many featured surround sound albums. Just my opinion but I bet you would get a new found fondness for these albums once you have them..

I would like some advice here. I love Aqualung and Benefit, but I'm lukewarm on TAAB, Passion Play, and War Child. Is Minstrel in the Gallery closer in sound and presentation to the first two titles mentioned or the others. Listening to albums on Youtube does not hack it for me when making this kind of decision. Thanks.

Minstrel has more of that medieval England Aqualung vibe than those others, and has some guitar-heavy rock like them too. It's definitely the most Aqualung/Benefit sounding of those later albums.

(I don't see why you wouldn't just audition the stereo CD version on Youtube, that would certainly answer your questions about sound and presentation)

I don't think you can improve much upon what you get for the modest price with this release. The new 5.1 mix is top notch (The Tull music is very good to start with....), but then a period concert mixed to 5.1 and for me the best part....the previously unreleased Quad mix being included for good measure! I wish they all came this way. Gets a tenner from me.

I listened to both the 5.1 DTS and the QUAD. I definitely think the QUAD is better than the 5.1 mix. The 5.1 is just not as discrete as the QUAD which is why I prefer it. I gave the 5.1 an 8.

I gave the QUAD a 10!!

Last edited:
My favourite Jethro Tull album. So a 10 for the music, 10 for the sound quality, and a 10 for the 5.1 mix. I really like this :cool: So that adds up to an 11! :bounce17

A solid 10 for me too. My fave Tull behind Aqualung- was #1 for a while when I got burnt out on A, but SW's 5.1 has revitalized that one, so it's back on top. So 10 for content, 10 for SQ and 10 for mix. On top of all that, an incredible concert w/ a stellar 5.1 mix, bonus songs, a great book and excellent packaging. As much as I love SW's Yes re-mixes (Yes has been my fave band since mid-70's), this and Warchild are the pinnacle of deluxe re-mix packages. The ONLY negative is that they're lossy, but given how great they sound, can't complain about that.

OT aside: I'd love to see SW and whoever else is responsible take it to the ultimate for the Yes re-mix of Tales- using this release as a template of what to include, while also doing loss-less on a BR w/ Ray Shulman animating the lyrics like he did for P&G. I know I'm dreaming (wetly), but that would be amazing.

A solid 10 for me too. My fave Tull behind Aqualung- was #1 for a while when I got burnt out on A, but SW's 5.1 has revitalized that one, so it's back on top. So 10 for content, 10 for SQ and 10 for mix. On top of all that, an incredible concert w/ a stellar 5.1 mix, bonus songs, a great book and excellent packaging. As much as I love SW's Yes re-mixes (Yes has been my fave band since mid-70's), this and Warchild are the pinnacle of deluxe re-mix packages. The ONLY negative is that they're lossy, but given how great they sound, can't complain about that.

OT aside: I'd love to see SW and whoever else is responsible take it to the ultimate for the Yes re-mix of Tales- using this release as a template of what to include, while also doing loss-less on a BR w/ Ray Shulman animating the lyrics like he did for P&G. I know I'm dreaming (wetly), but that would be amazing.

Yeah you are dreaming pretty wetly when it comes to Tales, but then again at least it's in Topographic Oceans ;)
Ray Shulman obviously did the animated lyrics for P&G cause Gentle Giant is his band, whereas most artists would not have the money or time to spend on something like that, hence simpler but effective authoring like what Ray does for these Tull releases or what Neil Wilkes does for everything else.
But there could definitely be some bonus studio and live tracks on a proposed TFTO release.

Now going back to THIS release, I voted '9' so I can vote a '10' if a Blu-Ray of this set is ever released.

I have to give this set a 10 for so many reasons. My favorite Tull album. Both a new Steven Wilson 5.1 mix and the unreleased Quad version, unreleased bonus songs in 5.1 and 4.0, and an entire concert from 1975 mixed in 5.1. And, it all comes in the great packaging we've come to expect from the Jethro Tull reissue series. I agree with rtbluray above, that if issued on Blu-ray later I will probably buy it again.

i can also add that this has a clarity to it that is like your sitting in the studio ! Having Summerday sands in 5.1 is a real treat ! i wonder why it was left off the original recording?

A wonderful album made even wonderfuller by the 5.1 mix. I’m embarrassed to have once considered this a lesser Tull album (ah, the folly of youth) while I now view it as one of their best. It’s perhaps the most subtle and least commercial of their 70’s work. The electric bits are fewer and more streamlined than the previous few LPs yet still have their moments of multi-layered complexity. But it’s the acoustic numbers that really shine complimented perfectly by David Palmer’s delicate string arrangements. Gorgeous stuff.

The surround mix is darn near perfect to my tastes. Everything breathes and gels nicely in the larger soundstage. SW once again focuses lead vocal to center channel but I’m happy that for the title track’s electric section he supports it through the other channels as well so the vocal stays prominent (this has not always been the case with some of SW’s recent work). Summerday Sands fits in nicely with the album but I wish there was a longer pause before the bonus tracks.

This 5.1 presentation alone merits a 10 and the wealth of extras makes this a strong candidate for release of the year for me.

Solid remix by SW on MitG. Yes it is lossy, but it still sounds amazing in DTS 96/24.
Was never really a fan of the original album, but can now safely conclude I was wrong. This is classic Tull at its best and now even better.
The extra's are just as good: getting the whole Paris show, plus the complete and remixed versions of the BBC tracks Minstrel In The Gallery and Cold Wind To Valhalla is a fine treat.
Top release and a 10 from me too!

Back