Question about amplifier repair

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I have a Kenwood VR-507 amplifier. It has developed a problem where the amplifier will make an audible clicking sound and then the center channel and the subwoofer outputs stop working. Hours or days later, I'll here the same clicking sound and those channels start working again. I downloaded the service manual for this amp and it has a single relay that specifically protects both center and sub. I'm imagining that the problem is somehow related to this. I have minimal knowledge of audio electronics, but I know how to use a soldering iron. Is a relay a generic part that can be replaced, or is it a manufactured part specific to its amp? Or is it more likely that the relay is fine but something else is wrong with the amp that is causing the circuit to kick in to protect the speakers?

I had a problem similar to this with an old Dynaco Stereo 400 amp. The protective relay was clicking all over the place and cutting out the channels. It turned out to be a semi-loose wire and not the relay itself. Perhaps you might want to check the wiring first. Sorry that I cannot tell you about the part itself.

A short in a speaker wire can cause that, even one strand barely touching the other at where they connect to the amp or speaker.

Thanks to both of you for your answers. It will be Saturday before I can really take a look at things with my system, but I'll check for both of these suggestions.

Well, the whole 5.1 speaker output just died on this amp, so I decided to go the eBay route and buy something else that I could pick up locally (I've never had a non-business seller pack a piece of electronic equipment correctly). I now own a Yamaha RX-V463, which so far seems pretty wonderful for my needs.

Back