Remembering Record Store Chains (The good ones)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting pictures. A&A had the same color scheme as Tower, or maybe it was vice-versa.

Sam and his Son Jason: for some odd reason these guys look like mobsters. Goodfellas perhaps.

Much of my seventies vinyl came from an enormous record store in southwest Ohio called Record Theater...were they a chain?

Didn't find them until quad vinyl releases were on their last gasp, but it was a great source for imports...

Some vintage shots of HMV. We didn't have them in Chicago. I visited them on my trips to Manhattan. Good, although Tower, Virgin, and the many independents in NYC were more to my taste. We did have 4 Towers and a Virgin Megastore in Chicago.

hmv2.jpg

640x598xhmv1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.eNjx5gYoZG.webp.jpeg

640x464xhmv11.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6rfmxG1Gke.webp.jpeg

633x640x4950555323_a9f4709ec5_z.jpg.pagespeed.ic.2RNbj1sQgX.webp.jpeg

Record theater was headquartered out of Buffalo NY. Lenny Silver was the head guy. Before it was Record Theater it was Trans America One Stop, which I was told was the largest record jobber east of the Mississippi.

On Sat morning, Record Theater would have a popular album on sale for $1.99 from ten to noon.

They had two locations in Buffalo and I know of the one in Cincinnati, OH .

Woodfield Mall and it's chains.

In August 1971, this mega-mall opened in Schaumburg, IL, a Chicago suburb. Immediately, its' Sears was the biggest volume location in their chain. The other anchor tenants were Marshall Field (now Macy's) and Penneys. It was named for Sears' Arthur Wood and Marshall Field. Those anchors are still there today, along with Nordstrom and Lord & Taylor. These days, despite many malls being on life support or dead, the mall thrives. When it opened it had three levels (in spots) and 200 stores. Today, it's 350 stores and still thriving. If you live in/around Chicago, you've been to Woodfield.

In it's early days, Woodfield had three record stores: Disc Records and TWO Musicland's. Since I was friends with the managers at all three, I got employee prices and unlimited exchanges on anything in print. Penneys, Sears, Kresge and Osco Drug all carried records. Schaak Electronics carried pre-recorded tapes, including a nice Q8 selection. So, that totaled eight stores that carried prerecorded music, six of them selling Quad! Later, they hosted JR's Music Shop and Sam Goody's chains. Today, there is a fairly large FYE.

In more recent times, there was a huge Tower Records store across from Woodfield, pictures posted earlier in this thread. A huge Borders was also across the street, with an entire level dedicated to music & video. Circuit City and Sound Warehouse were nearby. Best Buy and Barnes & Noble are still in the neighborhood. We'll explore Sound Warehouse in a later post, as well as J.R.'s Music Shop.

When I was a manufacturer's rep, I spent a week each month in Minneapolis calling on accounts. I cold called a building on Wayzata Blvd. (US 12.) It looked like small potatoes. Most of the building was below grade. Turned out, it was the headquarters of of Musicland, which was then the largest record store chain in the US. Most malls had one. Woodfield was the only mall I'd ever been in that had two! Many of Musicland's stores later became Sam Goody's. Musicland had a decent selection and great bargains on cutouts. Virtually all malls in IL, WI, MN and many other places had one. We'll also explore Sam Goody (Goody Got it!) in a later post.

Unknown-2.jpeg
Golden Ring Mall Musicland in suburban Baltimore, MD

Unknown-1.jpeg
it's in the bag

images.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

Disc Records had a better selection than Musicland, but still had high prices. They stocked virtually every domestic Quad. It was the best record store that Woodfield ever housed! I recall one other Disc Records store around Chicago in Hawthorn Center in Vernon Hills, IL. Sorry, I couldn't find any pictures of Disc Records. They had dozens of stores, as I found listed on an ad on the back cover of a Schwann Record Guide. I recall several being in Ohio. If anyone has any memories of Disc Records, please share them. Pictures, too, if you can find them.

Penneys, Sears, Kresge and Osco Drug all carried records.

I remember going through the music at Penneys as a teenager and seeing an LP of "Empty Sky" (well before the domestic US release) and an 8-track of "Lady Samantha". I didn't learn what they really were until years later! I had never seen them even at Tower, whose Watt Avenue flagship store was right across the street.

I have both Lady Samantha and Empty Sky and UK 2ch 8 tracks. I bought them again on UK CD's.

Just like strange rain...

I remember going through the music at Penneys as a teenager and seeing an LP of "Empty Sky" (well before the domestic US release) and an 8-track of "Lady Samantha". I didn't learn what they really were until years later! I had never seen them even at Tower, whose Watt Avenue flagship store was right across the street.

I bought them again on UK CD's.

Just like strange rain...

I'm not sure what country my "Lady Samantha" CD is from, but I find it amusing that the cover is so...well...boring compared to the garish original! I appreciated that they found a non-vinyl to replace the noisy version of "Into the Old Man's Shoes".

I guess the whole thing is obsolete after "Rare Masters".

While in New Orleans this week I happened upon the original Peaches. The clerk told me that even though the franchise was based on this store they have remained independent since their opening in 1975. They currently have a nice selection of new and used vinyl and proudly kept a decent stock even through the lean years. And, yes, they sell record crates although of a much sturdier variety than the ones the chain sold.

Peaches.jpg

Is the independent Magic Bus still there? Last time I was in Nola, they had moved from the bus into an actual store.

I don't know, Linda. I didn't have time to check out the local record stores (as I often do when traveling). Finding Peaches was a happy accident.

I ran Record Bar stores in Oklahoma City, Norman,OK, Odessa,TX and Arlington,TX over an 8 year period in the 80's. I always made sure we had the best selection of imports in town. We carried every "Japanese virgin vinyl" title the importers could get for us. It was a great company to work for. Whenever artists were in town for concerts, they always came by the store. Looking back, running record stores was more fun (overall) than working for record labels - just not as profitable.

Record Bar must have had a good 8 track repair service. I've seen quite a few 8-tracks with a Record Bar 'fix-it' tag on the front.
Even the Q8 for this CD conversion has the Record Bar 'fix-it' tag
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111678488552 - look at one of the extra pics in this auction.

And the BS&T tape in posting #8 in this thread
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?20108-My-humble-Q8-Collection

vinylguy4

Last edited:
I worked in Tower Records in Boston 1987-88 , which was considered at the time the biggest record store in the US (or was it the world?)....I worked on the "Rock"(2nd) floor- the first floor was videos (and Laserdiscs- still have the Criterion edition of Blade Runner with the sticker on it), and the third floor was classical music... saw a few locals there like Peter Wolf and a few who signed records like Carly Simon; also, Michael Palin (John Cleese, being the diva that he is, pulled out at the last minute) promoting "a fish called Wanda"....and some visiting artists that "abused" their record label advances by buying EVERYTHING they could on CDs, like the guys from Wet Wet Wet who bought a RIDICULOUS amount of CDs one day...but my favorite place to go was "Newbury Comics" next door...they also went to hell in a handbasket...

Didn't know this about you Kap - very cool:cool:

Didn't know this about you Kap - very cool:cool:

The more you discover about the Kap'n the cooler he gets...he has many layers...he's a Marpow type of poster...sometimes he ruffles some feathers on here...but if you like candid...he does that concept very well(y)..he's very authentic:p

I started at things quite a bit later than most of the folks here, starting with being in high school and college in Manhattan in the mid-late 90s. I was at the Tower Records by Lincoln Center every week or two - fantastic classical section there of course. The HMV on 6th Ave. nearish to Times Square was good as well. The Virgin Megastore in Times Square got a bad rap, but also was a lot of fun - although they kept moving the classical section.

In Chicago the Tower Records in Lincoln Park was a favorite. The Virgin Megastore on Michigan Ave was very close, but the selection wasn't as good. Still an embarassment of riches.

I made a short detour in DC after that, and used to regularly hang out in their classical section (which was hidden all the way in the back of the second floor but was pretty good sized) and avoid my thesis project by purchasing music there, and chatting with Jens Laurson (the manager of the section at the time)

And then it all came crashing down fairly quickly. I returned to NYC (and began exploring music in surround) in 2007, and by then Tower and HMV were gone and Virgin was fading fast. J&R was just around the corner from where I lived much of that time, and became a favorite time to avoid responsibilities and shop for quite a while, until they too gave up the ghost in 2015 - I think they were the last all-new record store of significant size in the country by then.

There's still some cool places on the east coast though...Academy in NYC, the Princeton Record Exchange, Bullmoose (their store in Salem, NH is close to Boston and quite large), as well as smaller stores. But it's a shadow of what it was.

The more you discover about the Kap'n the cooler he gets...he has many layers...he's a Marpow type of poster...sometimes he ruffles some feathers on here...but if you like candid...he does that concept very well(y)..he's very authentic:p

LOL...I love you too guys!!!
Sorry if I come across in some other way...I am a Leo and sometimes I .. well... roar!!!
BTW, I am meeting Tim (timbre4), a fellow QQer later today..will probably post pics...
one big QQ hug!!!!

Last edited:
Back