The "Manufacturers Forced to Stop SACD Players Production" Rumor

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
At this weekend's High End Audio show in Munich, long time DAC maker dCS introduced two new products scheduled for shipment in August 2015: the dCS Rossini CD Player + DAC ($28,350) and the dCS Rossini DAC ($23,625). In response to a question at the show, a show attendee was told by dCS that the higher priced unit has a CD Player vs. an SACD/CD Player due to the end of production of the Sony SACD player chip used in the past.

This led to a series of posts on the web this weekend that "Sony just stopped SACD support. They have stopped manufacturing SACD decoding chips, meaning ALL manufacturers have to stop SACD player production. This is why dCS Rossini - which is the Puccini replacement - does not have SACD drive." An interesting series of statements since Sony is not the only company that has provided SACD mechanisms and chips to the audio equipment makers over the years and doesn't have the ability to have "All manufacturers stop SACD player production" as one chip comes to end of life.

I checked on the rumor and it turns out that Sony stopped making the SACD decoding chips in question in 2013. The person I talked with who is close to Sony referred to it as "old news".

Obviously the end to the Sony chip in question hasn't stopped a number of companies from making SACD players - as we have seen new SACD players announced and released since 2013. That includes the folks at Oppo who continue to make and sell Universal Disc players that handle CD, SACD, DVD, Blu Ray and other formats. Not to mention the Oppo 103 and 105 players that include the ability to play DSD and FLAC downloads for music fans ready to make the switch from optical discs to music files.

And now, back to some Multichannel SACD music listening..... :)

Smart move Sony.. demand is outstripping supply, the SACD pressing plant in Austria is stretched to capacity and labels are having to wait in line for their titles to be pressed on the format :rolleyes:

Smart move Sony.. demand is outstripping supply, the SACD pressing plant in Austria is stretched to capacity and labels are having to wait in line for their titles to be pressed on the format :rolleyes:

Remember, the rumor is NOT true. Sony and the other companies continue to make SACDs and SACD players.

But it makes for a good rumor. And a way for dCS to explain why a $20,000+ product has a CD Player and not an SACD Player..... :)
Did someone ask dCS why they did not put a sabre chip into their new player? And 28k for a cd player/dac :mad:@: do these things even sell? There is a market I guess, otherwise the company would not be making the players, but this is a large sum of money.

But Sony still has new Blu-Ray-Players that support SACD playback!

Like the S6200!

I think that's part of the answer to the questions about the Sony SACD chip.
Companies are probably building more Universal Disc players that handle Blu-Ray and SACD playback. That requires a different disc mechanism and chip set than SACD only.

Did someone ask dCS why they did not put a sabre chip into their new player? And 28k for a cd player/dac :mad:@: do these things even sell? There is a market I guess, otherwise the company would not be making the players, but this is a large sum of money.

Well, dCS does have a system that runs about $100k I'm told. Out of my price range. But for those who want to set up a really expensive audio system.
On using the ESS chips, the new products use an updated version of their "Ring" processing. It's unlikely they would move away from that from what I know.

Snood woke up today and car battery no go - then Me read this???? was like nooooooooooo - now am like :banana:

So, will dCS be at the high-end show in Newport Beach at the end of this month. I could have some fun in their booth. Like, CD Player, people still use those?

Back on the topic of this thread, I'm told that SACD players since 2013 use other SACD decoding chips including some made by company named MediaTek. This is under the SACD license issued by Sony and Philips.

Back