Welcome Bruce Soord from The Pineapple Thief - Q&A Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bruce, in the announcement from Sweet Billy Pilgrim it is mentioned that you are working on a solo album which is scheduled for an October release.

Seeing your recent surround mix releases, it is probably a given, but wil you release the upcoming solo album in surround as well?

Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/sweetbillypilgrim/posts/10153204362418409

Hi Otto

Unfortunately in this case it was down to cost - BD licensing means only the high end sellers can justify that and as my debut is a little 'unknown' then at this stage a FLAC download was the only option, it was that or nothing. Hopefully in time I'll be able to do a physical DVD-A for this release.

I would certainly hope the next The Pineapple Thief will have a hi-res lossless physical 5.1.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce, thank you for dropping by again at QQ. Looking foeard to your solo debut, the firet available song sounds promising.

Now that you are doing more mixing and production work for other artists, will you always offer the option of surround to those artists?

Thanks.

Hi Robert

Yes, since I moved into 5.1 (which was only this year) I always offer 5.1 when I am doing the stereo mix. I did this for Tim's recent album, especially as I knew how well that would translate to 5.1. I am currently working with a band from Karachi called the 'D/A Method' and it looks like i'll be doing a 5.1 for them also. So far most artists seem very keen on the idea, although I am unsure how many will be able to release physical 5.1s, FLAC download may be the only way in some instances.

It's certainly a lot easier to make a good 5.1 mix if I have also done the stereo so hopefully they will go hand in hand going forward.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce, sounds good.

You might want to consider to offer a dvd-a ISO image as well, with the hi res stereo and 5.1 mix. flac files work fine when putting the files on a NAS, but not everybody has the right software to create their own dvd-a for playback.

An ISO image is very easy to brun to dvd using IMGburn.

Hi - yes I think this is a great idea and I can easily create an ISO - however when I discussed this with Burning Shed they were reluctant, mainly because it caused a great deal of support queries. You'd think burning a standard DVD-A ISO would be easy but I guess to some people it's not so!

I'll certainly broach this again to see if it's an option.

thanks Bruce. that's great to hear your confirmation about your loyalty to surround sound mixing technique.
b.t.w. may i ask which parameters of the sound for offered for download 5.1 flac,
is it 96/24 or red book 44.1/16?

Hi - yes I think this is a great idea and I can easily create an ISO - however when I discussed this with Burning Shed they were reluctant, mainly because it caused a great deal of support queries. You'd think burning a standard DVD-A ISO would be easy but I guess to some people it's not so!

Bruce, for those of us from here that play Dvda's the Iso would be such a awesome treat, so easy to make a Dvda then.
Its converting a 5.1 flac to Dvda that is much more difficult and frustrating, I am sure I'm not the only one that has not learned how to do that.

Why not have Burning Shed offer either of which would serve everybody.
They could say you can download the 5.1 flac or for those that have Dvda you can download the 5.1. Dvda ISO.
You wouldn't think that would cause to many extra support queries as people that know about Dvda ISO would just choose that and the rest that know about 5.1 flac could choose that, simple.

peter

Hi Bruce
I was wondering could you explain some of your mixing choices for Polaris? I was wondering why the snare is so loud in comparison to the rest of the drum kit, and why there is so much compression used, particularly on the vocals? I could understand the CD having this amount of compression, to 'compete in the modern era' with regards to loudness, but the DVD? I can't hear most of the drum kit, but the snare is really dominant and repetitive.

Hi Robert

Yes, since I moved into 5.1 (which was only this year) I always offer 5.1 when I am doing the stereo mix. I did this for Tim's recent album, especially as I knew how well that would translate to 5.1. I am currently working with a band from Karachi called 'The D/A Method' and it looks like i'll be doing a 5.1 for them also. So far most artists seem very keen on the idea, although I am unsure how many will be able to release physical 5.1s, FLAC download may be the only way in some instances.

It's certainly a lot easier to make a good 5.1 mix if I have also done the stereo so hopefully they will go hand in hand going forward.

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks for shout out Bruce! :)
Hey guys - I am from The D/A Method and as Bruce mentioned, we've been working on our new record with him. It's been an absolute joy to work with Bruce!
Relevant to this forum though - I heard some of the 5.1 work he's been doing, and trust me, it sounds absolutely gobsmacking. Hearing the way Bruce has mixed the drumkit for his remix of Opeth's 'Deliverance' alone has sold me on the format. You guys are in for a treat.

intothevoid welcome to QQ community.
we always glad to see here artists and sound pro, who's in one or another way been involved into surround and top fidelity sound.

intothevoid welcome to QQ community.
we always glad to see here artists and sound pro, who's in one or another way been involved into surround and top fidelity sound.

Cheers happy to be here! More so in the fan and enthusiast capacity but I've already been picking up many tips from browsing around these parts about what the serious enthusiasts out there are looking for in terms of sound quality and production, which in turn has a part to play in how we go about writing, arranging and producing our songs!

By the way do check out the band if you get a chance

https://www.facebook.com/TheDAMethod
https://soundcloud.com/the-da-method
https://vimeo.com/thedamethod

Best
Umair

Hi Umair, welcome to QQ.

Nice to your band working with Bruce. Does this mean the new album will also get a 5.1 release?

From what ai understood you are working on the second album now with Bruce, and the debut album is postponed. Will the debut album be remixed/reproduced by Bruce?

Hi Umair, welcome to QQ.

Nice to your band working with Bruce. Does this mean the new album will also get a 5.1 release?

From what ai understood you are working on the second album now with Bruce, and the debut album is postponed. Will the debut album be remixed/reproduced by Bruce?

Hi Robert!
The new album will likely get a 5.1 but as Bruce said not sure if we'll get a chance to put that onto a DVD-A or V. Maybe download only but we'll see.
The first album as you rightly have gathered is indeed delayed to December (it's been finished since December last year!). Currently no plans for Bruce to remix that although incidentally our second album includes a couple of tracks from the first one which have been 'reimagined' and rearranged.

Cheers happy to be here! More so in the fan and enthusiast capacity but I've already been picking up many tips from browsing around these parts about what the serious enthusiasts out there are looking for in terms of sound quality and production, which in turn has a part to play in how we go about writing, arranging and producing our songs!

By the way do check out the band if you get a chance

https://www.facebook.com/TheDAMethod
https://soundcloud.com/the-da-method
https://vimeo.com/thedamethod

Best
Umair

Thanks for posting here and have listened to some of your songs from soundcloud and like what I am hearing, well done.

As Robert posted please if you can't do a dvda then please make a download dvda iso so that we can get the music in lossless sound.
When you have more information to share start a new thread for your bands album so we can keep everything in one nice spot.
Nice job on Steve Wilson cover song as well-Insurgentes.

peter

Thanks a lot Peter! Yeah a downloadable ISO should be doable but long way from that yet!

Cheers for checking out the music!

Bruce, just ordered the cd from BurningShed and asked Lisa at BurningShed the following:

"Question for Lisa, I did the preorder for the Bruce Soord solo and am doing it for the 5.1
If their had been a 5.1 only option and cheaper would have done that over getting a cd.
The question is saw Bruce Soord say he is going to ask BurningShed about getting a DVDA ISO option and I am so hoping that would be the case as its lossless and thats what most 5.1 knowledgeable fans would prefer over a 5.1 flac option.
Others from the QQ forum are also wondering about the same.
Can you make this happen?"

Lisa replied:

Hi Peter,

We’ll obviously look at any options but really it’s all down to KScope as they’re Bruce’s label.

Hopefully he’ll talk to them about it.

We’re all very much looking forward to this album!

Thanks,

Lisa

Back