Welcome Bruce Soord from The Pineapple Thief - Q&A Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superb! Downloading now! :) :banana: :) :banana: :) :banana: :) :banana: :) :banana: :)

Peter - your player may be able to play surround flacs directly from USB depending on what make/model it is. I know my CA BD752 does and I'm pretty sure the Oppo range does.

Neil, you are correct, I think my Oppo will play it but was more interested if i could have a DVDA for the car.
If you could be so kind and report back ASAP what Bruce Soord's skill is like working with live and putting in surround as I am hoping that he would have a similar tact like what Steven Wilson, Elliot Scheiner and use the whole sound field.
I really dislike when people think because its live will just have music only from fronts and audience noise in rears, to me thats not using 5.1 properly.
SW with his live's are fantastic and to me I absolutely love what ES did with Roy Orbison-A Black and White Night Night.
Recently I listened to PT Anesthesize and that is just fantastic in surround, to me sounds as good as a studio recording, so detailed and instruments and singing dispersed throughout the whole sound field.

peter

Neil, you are correct, I think my Oppo will play it but was more interested if i could have a DVDA for the car.
If you could be so kind and report back ASAP what Bruce Soord's skill is like working with live and putting in surround as I am hoping that he would have a similar tact like what Steven Wilson, Elliot Scheiner and use the whole sound field.
I really dislike when people think because its live will just have music only from fronts and audience noise in rears, to me thats not using 5.1 properly.
SW with his live's are fantastic and to me I absolutely love what ES did with Roy Orbison-A Black and White Night Night.
Recently I listened to PT Anesthesize and that is just fantastic in surround, to me sounds as good as a studio recording, so detailed and instruments and singing dispersed throughout the whole sound field.

peter

Bought it, downloaded (took about an hour for the 4Gb download) and I'm listening now. I have a huge grin on my face. Three tracks in and I'm really enjoying it. imho he's done a really great job of striking a balance between a live sound and making good use of the surround field, especially considering it's his first album mixed in 5.1 It's discrete but not "insanely so", with surround being used for keys, backing vocals, some effects and crowd ambience. Sound quality is very good (though I haven't checked the flac resolution yet.)

It's great to have yet another class artist in Bruce going down the 5.1 rout. Really hope this sells well and that it inspires him to release some or even all of the studio records in 5.1 :)

...ten tracks in and still enjoying it, though his use of the surround channels is a little more subtle than I would have ideally liked. Sounds superb, especially for a live album but I have to report relatively limited use of discrete instrument positioning compared to, say, the recent SW live albums. Nevertheless it's a great addition to the collection. :)

...now 15 tracks in ("Reaching Out") and it keeps getting better. It sounds to me like Bruce is honing his skills in 5.1 mixing as the album progresses. I (obviously) need another listen, but my impressions are very favourable. :)

I use Cirlinca Hd Solo to burn a dvd audio. But the latest release dropped the dvd audio part if I am not mistaken.
That is a shame. That's the tool that I used for burning discs for my last car (Levinson sound system) and it worked fine. I just dropped a line to their support team to ask/confirm (they usually get back pretty fast. I bet I will hear something on Monday.)

(The new car, by the way - a "modified" Audi S4 - does not do DVD-A (sigh), but the engine/exhaust "music" has me driving with the audio turned off most of the time anyway) ;-)

That is a shame. That's the tool that I used for burning discs for my last car (Levinson sound system) and it worked fine. I just dropped a line to their support team to ask/confirm (they usually get back pretty fast. I bet I will hear something on Monday.)

(The new car, by the way - a "modified" Audi S4 - does not do DVD-A (sigh), but the engine/exhaust "music" has me driving with the audio turned off most of the time anyway) ;-)

Heck yeah....the S4 does have a nice little growl when you put your foot in it doesn't it?

Still on track two and liking it! Lots of percussion on the rears, quite a challenge for the low frequency response of my small pair of Chario. Even though it's only 48/24, I'm not missing the extra KHz, sounds excellent for a live release.
Only complaint until now would be the price, a bit expensive for a non physical release.
Back to listening...

Thought I'd give this one a try. I was expecting a bit more on the prog side as this band has been a Burning Shed staple for a while. It's more on the Modern Rock side (Coldplay, Muse) with some prog flourishes mainly from the keys. Not having the chance to hear the multichannel mix right away, I checked the stereo flacs (16/44) in my car to get familiar with the music. First listen to the surround this morning at home. I have to say that this is quite good - the live mix is very engaging - with keys, background vocals and some percussion/cymbals in the rear and the primary band (guitar, bass, lead vocal and drums) spread out in the front. The bottom end is substantial without being overwhelming. This is superior to most live surround mixes out there and is worthy of QQ's support.

This is the second commercial flac download I have purchased in the last month - Theo's excellent release being the other - hopefully this is the beginning of a trend. I should also point out that the download also includes a hi Rez PDF file of the artwork and complete "booklet" including lyrics - something that other hi Rez sites ie HD Tracks often scrimp on.

Thought I'd give this one a try. I was expecting a bit more on the prog side as this band has been a Burning Shed staple for a while. It's more on the Modern Rock side (Coldplay, Muse) with some prog flourishes mainly from the keys. Not having the chance to hear the multichannel mix right away, I checked the stereo flacs (16/44) in my car to get familiar with the music. First listen to the surround this morning at home. I have to say that this is quite good - the live mix is very engaging - with keys, background vocals and some percussion/cymbals in the rear and the primary band (guitar, bass, lead vocal and drums) spread out in the front. The bottom end is substantial without being overwhelming. This is superior to most live surround mixes out there and is worthy of QQ's support.

This is the second commercial flac download I have purchased in the last month - Theo's excellent release being the other - hopefully this is the beginning of a trend. I should also point out that the download also includes a hi Rez PDF file of the artwork and complete "booklet" including lyrics - something that other hi Rez sites ie HD Tracks often scrimp on.

Coldplay are nothing like Muse, they suck. Muse are really good musicians, Coldplay are NOT.

Dude - your opinion. Just so you don't hemorrage, I was referring more to the style than anything. But just to piss you off a little bit more, there is some Coldplay I like :)

But let's not get off the thread shall we - it's about The Pineapple Thief - OK?

Dude - your opinion. Just so you don't hemorrage, I was referring more to the style than anything. But just to piss you off a little bit more, there is some Coldplay I like :)

But let's not get off the thread shall we - it's about The Pineapple Thief - OK?

Coldplay are worse than Ebola.

A good review Elmer, I agree with this. The sound quality is great. The venue where this was recorded, De Boerderij, is one of Hollands greatest venues for live music. The people of the venue are very prog minded, and there is always a relaxed atmosphere.

TPT likes to come to NL and record, as there Live at 013 was recorded in Tilburg and part of there other live release was recorded at De Boerderij as well.

This latest album is a good start for Bruce Soord's surround mixing career. Looking forward to the Katatonia release.
When BS will be working on studio surround mixing, I wish those mixes will be more agressive with use of the rears, compared to the live release (although during the concert more discrete elements ar in the rears). We will see what he will come up with.

For now this live album is highly recommended. Great performance, great sound and mix, and for only £12 you get a hi res stereo and surround mix plus pdf booklet.

Dank je wel Bruce :)

I had the chance of listening to it again today while playing with my son (take it as a disclaimer). To my surprise, the lead vocals are spread among the four main speakers with a faint echo in the center one (center is apparently dead apart from this very low vocals). Most of the main instruments appear also on the rears so, on a close listening, the overall effect is a bit weird. Despite of all, the overall sound is excellent, although I need now to listen more carefully to get a better formed opinion about the mix.

QQ Member César has introduced Bruce Soord to our forum, and Bruce has agreed to answer questions from members and discuss his music, surround audio, and anything related to his group "The Pineapple Thief".

Please treat him with respect and remember to post questions that are of substance and not a waste of his time. A big thanks to both Bruce and César for getting this set up.

The Pineapple Thief's first 5.1 release is a live album available from Burning Shed as a 24/48 .flac download, mixed by Bruce himself.

large5140.jpg

Back