Welcome Bruce Soord from The Pineapple Thief - Q&A Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow.. The numbers of industry movers and shakers on here just grows and grows (Please Mr.Scheiner.. If you or any of your representatives are reading this.. I soooo wish you'd drop by QQ too and say "Hi!") :eek:

welcome Bruce.
i should admit that do not familiar with The Pineapple Thief works but pretty same happened in the past
with Porcupine Tree and Nosound. has discovered them only because of their releases on DVD Audio.
since then has become avid follower.
pretty much hoping same gonna happen with The Pineapple Thief :)

so far not really have questions in depth but curious if there will be any re-issue of previous albums but with lossless surround mixes?

Hey Bruce...welcome to QQ! I think it's amazing you have joined, and I look forward to future surround recordings you might be able to pull off. I too will admit, that I do like Pineapple Thief, I stumbled across them via my love of Porcupine Tree music. But, that's OK......all in good company. I love Thief music and like many, wish we could experience much of it in some form of surround hi-rez.

So, I guess my question is...what are the chances of more consideration for 5.1 surround music versions coming from PT?? Would be welcome and an easy purchase for me.

Again, welcome! And keep up the great work.

Hi Bruce, welcome to QQ!

Thank you Cesar for making this happen!

It is great that you are into 5.1 mixing and that you are on a roll already, with the TPT live album, the Katatonia live album and now Tim his new studio album :)

As you have remixed most of the TPT back catalogue in the past few years, will you revisit those albums and this time for a 5.1 mix?

It is nice to see the Live album as both stereo and 5.1 download in one package for a decent price. Most commercial downloads are either stereo or surround.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Bruce - welcome aboard QQ!

As a long term fan of The Pineapple Thief I know you're always pushing for better and better sound quality in your work; the remixes of the Cyclops catalogue for the Kscope re-releases being a prime example, so I've been hoping for a while that you would see 5.1 as a natural progression. It really is a great pleasure for me to hear you mixing 5.1 now. :)

My first (and maybe somewhat predictable) question is this: Ignoring any potential obstacles to practicality, which Pineapple Thief album from your back catalogue do you think would work best in 5.1?

My second question is about your "Wisdom of Crowds" project with Jonas Renkse. I've been a fan of Jonas and Katatonia for almost as long as I've been a fan of The Pineapple Thief so finding out that your mysterious collaboration was with Jonas was great news and the resulting album is superb. Will there be any other WoC albums and, given Jonas' interest in surround, could 5.1 be a feature?

Bruce, yes welcome to QQ.

My question for you is, "What was your first surround album that you listened to that inspired you to want to do albums in surround or was it a certain person's mixes that inspired you?"

For me as a music fan one of the things I was so impressed with was listening to mixes that Elliot Scheiner has done and then when I found out a Steven Wilson was going to have his band(Porcupine Tree) mixed in surround and then to see the growth that SW has done himself in bringing many fantastic other bands albums to life in surround its been a really neat musical journey for so many of us to go on.

I hope the same for you that years down the road we go, wow 2015 was when Bruce Soord starting mixing things in surround and look at the amazing mixes he brought to us over the next xx years.

Welcome aboard.

peter

Hi Bruce!
Welcome to QQ!

I love physical discs, so my question is what's the likelihood of getting any surround mixes from you this year as physically released discs?
I'm up for downloading the live album and TB's album when it's released, but physical discs are always my preference.
(BTW I still need to check out the Katatonia live Blu-Ray) :)

Hi

Nice to be here!

I upgraded my studio to 5.1 at the end of 2014 and I am really enjoying putting the surround mixes together. I need to catch up with Kscope about the possibility of 5.1 dvd-a re-issues. The new Wisdom of Crowds and the next The Pineapple Thief will definitely have lossless 5.1 editions.

I've just realised I am replying to the whole thread here...

I hope some of you hear may have heard the Sanctitude blu-ray? That concert worked really well in surround. I remember asking other 5.1 mixers for advice about 5.1, initially I thought you were all looking for something natural - an experience of you 'being there'. So the first 5.1 I ever did only had reverb and reflections in the rear. I was soon warned there would be a riot if I did that, so I went all out of an immersive surround mix instead.

It's a shame the Tim Bowness 5.1 won't be physical, but a FLAC is better than nothing I guess.

I'm currently working on another 5.1 mix for Kscope (one of my label mates) - this will be a lossless hi-rez release. I'll keep you posted on that one...

By the way, if any of you know a simple, freeware way to burn 5.1 FLAC files to consumer DVDs that will play in standard home systems, let me know! It's the number one query we get from fans about the format.

Cheers

Bruce

I'm curious...what music outside of Pineapple Thief interests you...any favorite artists or bands?

I've always had a soft spot for well produced and well engineered music. As a kid in the 80s I listened to 70s prog (Supertramp, Camel, Hackett (never Genesis though). Talk Talk in the 80s/90s, a bit of Japan (Quiet Life is a great record), a bit of grunge in the 90s (early TPT is clearly influenced by Smashing Pumpkins).

I loved 'Geese and the Ghost', who did those re-issues? I haven't heard those yet. I am wary of re-issues though, one of my favourite albums of all time was 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination', the re-master ruined it. One of the best sounding records of recent years was 'Sea Change' by Beck - a fantastic mix by Nigel Godrich. That is one of my reference albums in the studio.

Currently listening to the new Calexico record, which is pretty decent.

Basically, anything goes in the Soord house!

I've always had a soft spot for well produced and well engineered music. As a kid in the 80s I listened to 70s prog (Supertramp, Camel, Hackett (never Genesis though). Talk Talk in the 80s/90s, a bit of Japan (Quiet Life is a great record), a bit of grunge in the 90s (early TPT is clearly influenced by Smashing Pumpkins).

I loved 'Geese and the Ghost', who did those re-issues? I haven't heard those yet. I am wary of re-issues though, one of my favourite albums of all time was 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination', the re-master ruined it. One of the best sounding records of recent years was 'Sea Change' by Beck - a fantastic mix by Nigel Godrich. That is one of my reference albums in the studio.

Currently listening to the new Calexico record, which is pretty decent.

Basically, anything goes in the Soord house!

If you like the content of Geese and the Ghost the latest edition has superb audio. Simon Heyworth and Andy Myles did an excellent job and I would recommend a purchase HERE...I love Sea Change too..

By the way, if any of you know a simple, freeware way to burn 5.1 FLAC files to consumer DVDs that will play in standard home systems, let me know! It's the number one query we get from fans about the format.

Cheers

Bruce

Audiomuxer is probably the best (freeware) tool.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...7-Audiomuxer-new-software-on-surroundbyus-com

A few things to be aware of:

I don't think there is any way to create a DVD with FLAC, its out of spec. You can create a Blu-ray disc or AVCHD with PCM audio using FLAC 5.1 files as the source.

Audiomuxer can create a DVD-R authored as a AVCHD disc or Blu-ray disc, and as long as you have a player that will play DVD-Rs authored as an AVCHD disc you should be good. Audiomuxer isn't the most intuitive, but once you are used to it it works a treat.

If the total disc size is bigger than ~4.3GB then you need a dual layer disc. Or put it on a USB stick... or drive.

Another option is to use a Media Server such as Foobar2000 which can play the FLAC natively...

P.S. Looking forward to the Tim Bowness 5.1 mix!!!!

Last edited:
... One of the best sounding records of recent years was 'Sea Change' by Beck - a fantastic mix by Nigel Godrich. That is one of my reference albums in the studio.

If you haven't heard it, a surround mix was done for Beck Sea change by Elliot Scheiner, out of (literally thousands) of surround mixes its in my top 10. You can get it easily on Blu-ray. It was also (originally) issued on SACD and DVD-Audio.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?3765-Beck-SEA-CHANGE-DVD-A-SACD-BluRay-Audio

Bruce, enjoying reading your comments in this thread.
Anthony Phillips-Geese and the Ghost, yes, you need to hear the 5.1, it is very well produced and remixed and Simon Heyworth is one one of the better musical engineers in the past 30+ years.

Have you listened to any Of Steven Wilson's work yet, either solo,band or the mixes he has done of other bands in surround?
Steve Wilson's work is awesome as its very well produced and mixed, very clean flat recordings so that you get to hear everything the way its meant to be heard.

I hope some of you hear may have heard the Sanctitude blu-ray? That concert worked really well in surround. I remember asking other 5.1 mixers for advice about 5.1, initially I thought you were all looking for something natural - an experience of you 'being there'. So the first 5.1 I ever did only had reverb and reflections in the rear. I was soon warned there would be a riot if I did that, so I went all out of an immersive surround mix instead.

It's a shame the Tim Bowness 5.1 won't be physical, but a FLAC is better than nothing I guess.

I'm currently working on another 5.1 mix for Kscope (one of my label mates) - this will be a lossless hi-rez release. I'll keep you posted on that one...

Cheers

Bruce
excellent news Bruce. Kscope is becoming THE record label for modern music mixed in surround, with artists who are themselves surround mixers too (Steven Wilson, Giancarlo Erra and yourself).

About burning FLAC to DVD. Mike (Lizard King) already mentioned Audiomuxer. What you also could do is create a ISO image with Cirlinca HD Solo and include this in the download ZIP file. People who do not save the FLAC files on a NAS/USB drive etc can burn the ISO to dvd with IMGBurn.

Cheers

Bruce

TBH I was expecting a more immersive mix from this one, I.E every moment in surround. Do not get me wrong I like it, but you example could of put a guitar in each rear speaker for entire duration, as well as the little bits here and there you did. More Katatonia would be great in 5.1. Their back catalog would be ideal for remixes. I look forward to ore releases. Cheers.

Back