Unknown CBS Japan Quad Reel Mystery

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
Here is another tape that was found at Yahoo Auctions Japan with no description.
Due to the low resolution of the photo I am not able to make out the artist but can read the performance as "Chopin Piano Concerto No.1, Op.11"
I tried comparing Columbia/CBS recordings from the time period of concerto #1 but have not found a match to what appears to be the names of the artists.

Chopin Piano Concerto No.1, Op.11 4-channel tape.jpg

I find it odd the low number of Japan reels I have seen over the years. You would think a large minimum number would have been manufactured and more would survive and surface over the years

It was likely a Japan-only release on all formats. I followed CBS Masterworks releases pretty closely in that era, and don't recall that title being done by anyone in the early '70's. There were Gilels/Watts versions and Perhaia/Mehta/Israel Philharmonic versions on CBS, but this certainly wouldn't be them.

It was likely a Japan-only release on all formats. I followed CBS Masterworks releases pretty closely in that era, and don't recall that title being done by anyone in the early '70's. There were Gilels/Watts versions and Perhaia/Mehta/Israel Philharmonic versions on CBS, but this certainly wouldn't be them.

Thanks so much for your insight as I could not find a match and only found the the ones you listed.
Well, who does not like a good mystery? But in this case I think we can rule out that the butler did not do it.
Hopefully in time our friends in other countries can weigh in with more info.

Have you run this one by Nick Perugini? I recall him having a rare CBS/Sony Japanese Quad reel of a jazz title.

I have not communicated with Nick in a long time. Hope he is doing well as he is a great resource for overseas material. I sure wish the Papa Daddy/Jack DeJohnette would resurface since I saw it listed on Nick's website. Thanks for the reminder, I might just have to drop him a line. Let's also hope he still visit's from time to time to share his wealth of knowledge.

Nick Perugini was able to solve the mystery and the reel is CBS Sony SOTF4-2001J (QR) Chopin Piano Concerto #1. Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra.

CBS Sony SOTF4-2001J (QR) Chopin Piano Concerto 1a.jpg
CBS Sony SOTF4-2001J (QR) Chopin Piano Concerto 1b.jpg

What is interesting is that I have not been able to find a similar performance on EMI/Angel, CBS/Columbia and although this release might have a stereo counterpart on another label this could be the only quad release.

Back