Jethro Tull High-Res PCM Downloads (Steven Wilson's 'Flat' Remixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Hi all.

Thought this deserved its own thread as this might be a really big deal to some of you.

You can now purchase "Benefit" and "Aqualung" as High-Res Downloads. For "Aqualung", this news is particularly significant as we can now finally hear SW's unmastered stereo mix as intended!

Here are links to download these albums from HDTracks:
http://www.hdtracks.com/aqualung
http://www.hdtracks.com/jethro-tull-benefit

And from Pono:
Aqualung
Benefit

If there are other high-res stores that have them, please post the links here!
(Now to figure out if the new CDs are the flat transfers are not…)

Yes, the Aqualung Hi-Res 2015 download is a different master than the 2011 deluxe set. It is a "flat transfer" of Steven Wilson's remix without Peter Mew's bright mastering.
It is worth noting this download does not offer the bonus tracks from the deluxe set, although I prepared (just level normalization) these tracks with Steven. So I'm actually surprised they are not available.

Benefit, already being a flat transfer on the DVD-A, is the same master.

Thick As A Brick will hopefully also be available as a flat transfer without Peter Mew's mastering.

Here's a post from Steven Wilson himself about these new HD downloads and CD reissues:

Parlophone are releasing digital download versions of my stereo remixes of 4 Jethro Tull albums, including 24/96 HD audio, and perhaps of interest to some is that the versions of Aqualung and Thick as a Brick are my own approved masters (essentially flat transfers) without the controversial mastering that was applied to the mixes included in the box sets from 2011 and 2012. The subsequent remixes of Benefit and A Passion Play were already released as flat transfers without mastering, so these have not changed from the previously released versions. All 4 remixed albums are also being released as single CDs, but these are the same as the discs found in the deluxe box set editions, and therefore still use the Pete Mew mastered Aqualung and TAAB remixes (so to clarify only the digital downloads of these albums use the new masters, yes it’s confusing!)
Aqualung and Benefit are available now, Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play will be released on 29th June.
http://www.hdtracks.co.uk/music/artist/view/id/7871/

So there you have it. The CDs of "Aqualung" and "Thick as a Brick" are the same 'mastered' discs, while the digital downloads are the new 'flat transfers'

:)

https://www.facebook.com/swremixes/...999507472/1651347798430692/?type=1&permPage=1

I have 2 questions about the *surround* mixes of Aqualung and Thick :

1) the *2nd* , 'corrected' version of the Thick as a Brick 5.1 mix is SW's 'flat' version, i.e., no additional mastering...is that correct?

2) the surround mix of Aqualung isn't SW's 'flat' version -- i.e., it was mastered....is that correct?

1) the *2nd* , 'corrected' version of the Thick as a Brick 5.1 mix is SW's 'flat' version, i.e., no additional mastering...is that correct?

2) the surround mix of Aqualung isn't SW's 'flat' version -- i.e., it was mastered....is that correct?

1) Yes, the new 'corrected' DVD of "Thick as a Brick" is SW's flat transfer of the surround mix. (Stereo mix is mastered)
2) Yes, on the DVD & Blu-Ray discs of "Aqualung", both remixes (stereo & surround) are mastered.

Hope that helps!

From what I have read you are correct on both.

edit: Ah, RT beat me to it. :)

So, what we (the royal we) would like to hear is, the unmastered 5.1 Aqualung. For 2-channel mixes, I'm typically loyal to the originals.

Yep, especially since the 5.1 mix has those unwanted 'ticks' in one or two spots.

O, I just love bitching about those "ticks"...

Aqualung - 40th Anniversary Edition Deluxe Edition
Times are from the beginning of the album:
5.1 mix on both DVD and BluRay:
Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53
Cross-Eyed Mary - At about 10:42 the last few notes are erroneously repeated at the very end of the track
My God glitch - At about 27:45
Wind Up glitch - At about 41:27 on the Blu-ray (At about 41:24 on the DVD)

Original stereo mix on BluRay:
My God several severe glitches - Starting at about 24:23, then 25:31 and onward.

1) Yes, the new 'corrected' DVD of "Thick as a Brick" is SW's flat transfer of the surround mix. (Stereo mix is mastered)

If I may add, the 5.1 mix on the corrected DVD of TAAB is also a very slightly different mix, as well as being 'flat transfered'.

I would love to hear Aqualung 5.1 mix without the mewtilation.

They'll save the 5.1 mixes for a later download, in hopes that everyone pays twice.

There's a sale for a day. If you have the Aqualung box set there is a flat transfer of the original stereo mix at 24/96 on the Blu-ray.

Attachments

• hdsale.jpg
    hdsale.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 261
A slightly bigger discount at HDTracks is HDSAVINGS20 for 20% off through 6/1/15.

It seems bonus tracks made it onto the Benefit download, but not the Aqualung download.

The downloads simply echo the track listings of the CD reissues, which are the Disc Ones in their respective Collector's Edition sets.
CD 1 of "Benefit" contains 5 bonus tracks all remixed by SW, while CD 1 of "Aqualung" doesn't have any bonus tracks because they are all on CD 2.
That's probably why things were done the way they were for the new downloads.

Yes, the Aqualung Hi-Res 2015 download is a different master than the 2011 deluxe set. It is a "flat transfer" of Steven Wilson's remix without Peter Mew's bright mastering.
It is worth noting this download does not offer the bonus tracks from the deluxe set, although I prepared (just level normalization) these tracks with Steven. So I'm actually surprised they are not available.

Benefit, already being a flat transfer on the DVD-A, is the same master.

Thick As A Brick will hopefully also be available as a flat transfer without Peter Mew's mastering.
Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play are now also available in stereo. From the remix FB page

My stereo remixes of Jethro Tull’s Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play are now available as high definition digital downloads. As with the recently released HD download of Aqualung, the download version of Thick as a Brick is my own approved master, not the one used by EMI for the 2012 release on vinyl / CD.
I was very unhappy with the mastering done on this release, so much so that all subsequent Tull remixes have been released essentially as flat transfers of my mixes (so the HD download version of A Passion Play in this case is identical to that used for the physical editions).
The Tull 40th anniversary deluxe edition series will continue in chronological order with Too Old To Rock’n’Roll, Too Young to Die.

Back