Multichannel SACDs with the Best Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And how do you determine that the ones listed are "not real?" Was this strictly ear evaluation, or reports elsewhere, or some other source or method? Is there a definitive technical evaluation that can be performed?

This is a good thread to inform potential buyers!

How would this information be phrased..."there is this disc called Avalon..it sounds amazing..but beware...it might be not be a "real" hi rez product as it wasn't sourced from something that is considered hi rez by some poster on a forum"...and when he asked you what is wrong with it...you can break out some sound wave charts and graphs and tell him that even though most of the objections raised aren't audible to human hearing..that's it's not a "real" hi rez product...I'm sure he will value that information..

I guess the question would be how do you define "real Hi Rez".
Would these be SACDs from an Analog or DSD recording? Or ones that sound good? Or both?

There are certainly many parameters that could be used to determine a hi rez product...sound quality is the goal and I would think that capacity would be another needed ingredient...which SACD can provide..

That's why the question posed here about being a "real" hi rez product or not is doomed to failure...it's a moot point and misplaced priority...people want good sounding discs..regardless of what format they are on...nobody cares about how the end product was achieved...do you think when someone listens to Avalon they really care about the sampling rate...the source...or the other usual "technical" objections raised by the SACD detractors...if the best sound available is on a CD it's fine with me...most reasonable people are just interested in sound quality...

The ironic part of this "quest" for which SACD's are real hi rez products is that for every disc that is deemed as not being a hi rez product(by the definition supplied here...which is extremely subjective)but sounds very good will only highlight how meaningless this "hi rez" criterion really is...it's already been discussed on this forum and "put to bed" some of the myths surrounding higher sampling rates like 192...I'm not going to rehash that discussion as there is an abundant amount of information on the internet about that misplaced philosophy...

It's not completely pointless, but you're right in that one should always make a purchase decision on a disc based on how much they like the music and mix and how good the sound quality is to their own ears.
That said, I'm still more curious in exploring the sound that is arrived at on many of these SACD releases as I still do not fully understand DSD, how to get from PCM to DSD, and once it's DSD how it gets onto an SACD.

That's why the question posed here about being a "real" hi rez product or not is doomed to failure...it's a moot point and misplaced priority...people want good sounding discs..regardless of what format they are on...nobody cares about how the end product was achieved...do you think when someone listens to Avalon they really care about the sampling rate...the source...or the other usual "technical" objections raised by the SACD detractors...if the best sound available is on a CD it's fine with me...most reasonable people are just interested in sound quality...

I think it will be easier to agree on favorite Multichannel SACDs - the topic of this discussion area - than what is, and is not, "Real Hi Resolution".

That being said, there are some fine DSD Downloads in Stereo and Multichannel on the Native DSD.Com web site that originated from DSD Recordings and Analog Master Tape to DSD transfers. No 16 bit/44.1k, 24 bit/96k or 24 bit/192k PCM to DSD recordings are allowed on that site. So if you want to hear some excellent Stereo and Multichannel DSD music and are worried about PCM sourced recordings converted to DSD, be sure to drop by there and have a listen to those Stereo and Multichannel releases.

How would this information be phrased..."there is this disc called Avalon..it sounds amazing..but beware...it might be not be a "real" hi rez product as it wasn't sourced from something that is considered hi rez by some poster on a forum"...and when he asked you what is wrong with it...you can break out some sound wave charts and graphs and tell him that even though most of the objections raised aren't audible to human hearing..that's it's not a "real" hi rez product...I'm sure he will value that information..

Here is how the information would be useful to me: "From what I could tell, the disc does not sound any better than the Redbook release." And possibly: "A comparison of the sound waves shows that there is little if any difference between the $10 Redbook CD and the $30 SACD." To me this could be useful for informing a buying decision. I often read reviews here comparing release versions of the same music, and it has saved me money over the years!

Here is how the information would be useful to me: "From what I could tell, the disc does not sound any better than the Redbook release." And possibly: "A comparison of the sound waves shows that there is little if any difference between the $10 Redbook CD and the $30 SACD." To me this could be useful for informing a buying decision. I often read reviews here comparing release versions of the same music, and it has saved me money over the years!

Of course, if you are converting the sound waves from DSD to PCM to do the analysis in message # 1, you're really not analyzing the sound waves on the SACD or download that you would be listening to on the SACD disc or DSD download.... :)

If you merely said that one sounded better or similar that would be useful...not the sound wave comparison...

Back