HiRez Poll Doors - THE BEST OF THE DOORS [SACD/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/BDA of The Doors - BEST OF THE DOORS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
You're hearing the differences between 4 track and 8 track master tapes. Such is life. I know many harp on the live track but they had no idea then that The Doors legacy would still be strong decades later. It was seen as the best shot to show the band's live side before the curtain came down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was little, my two older sisters were the only ones in the house with a record player; and of course, being their bratty little brother, I was not allowed in their room. So the closest I could get to all this great music was to park my little butt on the floor in the hallway outside their door. I became a fixture there; after awhile no one even noticed. But in all the time I spent out there, grooving to the muffled sounds of Jim and the boys and all the other great ones, I never once dreamed I'd be hearing it like this!

With that, I really can't add much to what's already been said about this wonderful disc. "Riders on the Storm" literally stood the hair up on the back of my neck, and "Light My Fire" literally made me forget to breathe for a moment. It don't get much better than that. Whew!

-- Jim

I gave it a 10. I love The Doors and I love this SACD. The mixes from the 8 track sessions are superb. I wish 'Five to One' and 'Roadhouse Blues' could have been included. Still, it's a 10.

Wow!!!! Another 10 here......i also share most of the opinions placed on this forum......just want to add that drums on "hello, i love you" are very realistic....the air on this track is incredible....

I had to go 9 due to the "Great Content" aspect. Track 1 is just wrong for me.

Back in '73 I thought it was a very perverse but fitting choice, given the track limitations of a single Lp and that the first two albums represented over half the number. Yet "Who Do You Love" does capture a certain menacing edge that was inherent to some of the band's best music; they had absorbed not only the strange imagery of Bo, but tracks like "Back Door Man" and even something as unusual as "Alabama Song," the kind of thing no other rock acts seemed interested in. The Doors were always kind of a funhouse mirror, a little bent and warped but deeply committed and creative, whatever their flaws. My regret is that much of their live material--and most of all, ABSOLUTELY LIVE--is not in quad or 5.1. Be a hell of a thing if that were to eventually happen.

That, and Robbie Krieger's guitar work on the live cut, which tapped into the same dark corridors Robbie Robertson had years earlier while working for Ronnie Hawkins, whose version of "Who Do You Love" has its own edge.

Leaving this aside...what track would you have replaced it with? MORRISON HOTEL isn't represented at all; my choice would've been "Roadhouse Blues." Fortunately, with all the prime studio Doors in MC, we have that, and much more.

ED :)

Solid 9. Would be a 10 if the mixes were more consistent from track to track.
Still, this is amazing. Some great surroundiness! Must buy.

A must buy indeed! Anyone who hasn't snagged a copy would do well to do so soon, it won't be around all that much longer, I'll bet.

As for the consistency of the mixes, since the debut album was limited to three or four track sources, this explains why these aren't as distinct or adventurous as some of the later cuts, a fact also evident on the box set. And admittedly in particular "Light My Fire" isn't that much of a quad mix, but of the tracks, it's the only one that ever bothered me (if only a little).

I have been a Doors fan (a The Doors fan?) since 1967. I never saw them live but I did see Robby Kreiger at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz twenty years ago. After the show he walked up and chatted with me. I shook the hand that wrote Light My Fire.:cool: However I am embarrassed to admit it wasn't until about ten years ago that it finally dawned on me what Jim was singing about in Back Door Man.:confused:

I have been a Doors fan (a The Doors fan?) since 1967. I never saw them live but I did see Robby Kreiger at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz twenty years ago. After the show he walked up and chatted with me. I shook the hand that wrote Light My Fire.:cool: However I am embarrassed to admit it wasn't until about ten years ago that it finally dawned on me what Jim was singing about in Back Door Man.:confused:

Ah, the back door...yeah, Jim had a way with words...and women. :)

shake for me girl, I wanna be your back door man

ohh and ya love this SACD

the phrase "back-door man" refers to a man having an affair with a married woman, using the back door as an exit before the husband comes home.

That is somewhat preferable to what I thought it meant!

While that is true....I have NO doubt Jim realized him singing these lyrics would conjure up all kinds of ideas about what he could be talking about.

the phrase "back-door man" refers to a man having an affair with a married woman, using the back door as an exit before the husband comes home.

Yes, but don't ignore the other, more salacious meaning, which, let's face it, lends an extra dollop of spice to the story, heh. And the line 'I eat more chicken than any man ever seen' suggests a serial womanizer (or john?). But for Morrison it must have been important to record this one, because it put a serious sexual element into their sound and persona (which was tempered by the tender and very lovely "The Crystal Ship," one of the group's very few great ballads/love songs).

THE BEST OF THE DOORS is, of course, but a sampling and it's a pity that 13 or even WEIRD SCENES INSIDE THE GOLDMINE hadn't been put into quad instead (the latter not likely due to being a 2-disc set). But the idea was to showcase the Doors with a special package, and that it remained in print until the early '90s (as it turned out, unsuccessful) vinyl purge--and still in CD-4, no less!--says a lot about its importance to the company as a title.

4.0 isn't my first choice but this one is pretty dam good.8

Not all 4.0 is equal though! It is possible to mix with a lot of subtlety in quad, but a lot of earlier mixes have extreme "4 corners" approaches.
Maybe that was due to the limitations of their mixing boards? In any case, there are awesome examples of very modern-sounding, tasteful 4.0 mixes.
Andy Jackson's Signal to Noise is a good example.

Back