HiRez Poll Doors - THE BEST OF THE DOORS [SACD/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/BDA of The Doors - BEST OF THE DOORS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Not all 4.0 is equal though! It is possible to mix with a lot of subtlety in quad, but a lot of earlier mixes have extreme "4 corners" approaches.
Maybe that was due to the limitations of their mixing boards? In any case, there are awesome examples of very modern-sounding, tasteful 4.0 mixes.
Andy Jackson's Signal to Noise is a good example.

Very true.. I reckon you can achieve pretty much the same degree of surround subtlety/complexity with 4 as 5.1 speakers, the main things obviously lacking with 4.0 are the LFE which can be used for low frequency effects as the name suggests (stuff like the absolute lowest notes on things like a church organ?) but perhaps more importantly allows for better bass management and room correction (let's face it many living rooms don't lend themselves to the most ideal speaker layout and/or seating arrangement) and apparently the scientific folk say you get all sorts of anomalies like bass nulls with multichannel that a sub can cure more easily than other room treatments.. and then there's the other "surround elephant" in the room, the opportunity with 5.1 for a discrete Centre channel, the presence of which some love and others hate.. that said it's amazing the phantom imaging some old Quads have you'd really think there was a Centre channel on some of the mixes.. although thinking back to the room itself your sweet spot is more limited with Quad than 5.1.. It's been suggested a lot of the Columbia & associated label Quads were mixed with the limitations of SQ in mind and one of the things SQ could do pretty well was the 4-corner type of multichannel mix, I don't know why some of the Warner mixes are of the 4-corner type though when they were discrete all the way with CD4/Q8/Q4..

Please note that as of today (09/15/2017) this poll thread has been updated to reflect the reissue of the Best of the Doors Quadraphonic mix on Blu-Ray as part of the new collection entitled "The Singles".
(Scans of "The Singles" has been added to the first post.)

From now on, please mention which release you are referencing when making comments in this poll thread, and even though the mix is the same on both releases, any comparisons between the two releases are most welcome!

:)

Just did a side-by-side listening comparison of "Hello, I Love You", first on the new Blu-Ray and then on the Audio Fidelity SACD.
I honestly think that the Blu-Ray sounded better, so if you have been waiting to acquire this Quadraphonic mix, now would be the time to do so!

:)

I agree and disagree. If the polls were just for the surround mix then fair enough.
The Polls are for sound surround and content. In this case though the content is not the same I believe the SACD comes with stereo mix as well as the Quad.
Either way one is going to skew the other

Because the mix is the same.
The only time a new poll would be created would be if a different mix was released.

Different formats are different and the mastering is different.

It would be like having the DTS CD in same poll as the BR of the same mix but wildly different sound quality.

Different formats are different and the mastering is different.

It would be like having the DTS CD in same poll as the BR of the same mix but wildly different sound quality.

While I partly agree with you, that would mean that we would need separate poles for SQ Quadraphonic and Q8 tapes (instead of combining them) as they are even more different in sound quality. In any case I take the pole results with a grain of salt, I get more out of reading peoples actual comments!

While I partly agree with you, that would mean that we would need separate poles for SQ Quadraphonic and Q8 tapes (instead of combining them) as they are even more different in sound quality. In any case I take the pole results with a grain of salt, I get more out of reading peoples actual comments!

Same time releases vs years or decades apart is the difference. With the Doors it was a couple of years apart and diff label.

I gave the SACD a 10 and would do the same with the BR. My only beef is with the packaging. I couldn't get the discs out without getting finger prints on them. I ended up taking 3 CD paper sleeves, cutting a bit off the tops, and putting the discs in them before returning them to their places.

Voted a 9 for the Rhino blu-ray based solely on the sonics as I am not the most devout Doors fan but any such fan should buy this for the multi-channel. There are also 3 CDs of something which I may never listen to. The blu ray has a simple menu on top of a fairly "Clockwork Orange" type creepy photo of Jim Morrison, but don't worry. Just keep telling yourself "He's not a bad man, it's just bad lighting." That will get you through the very audible, formerly hidden, whispered vocals of "Riders on the Storm," a song which is a favorite of mine. All in all this is a very strong sounding disc, and I am very glad I got it; recommended above the Audio Fidelity SACD which I also own.

That will get you through the very audible, formerly hidden, whispered vocals of "Riders on the Storm," a song which is a favorite of mine.

That's just it though, they weren't "formerly hidden", they were there all along on the SACD, and a little bit clearer to me on the SACD.

I agree and disagree. If the polls were just for the surround mix then fair enough.
The Polls are for sound surround and content. In this case though the content is not the same I believe the SACD comes with stereo mix as well as the Quad.
Either way one is going to skew the other

Well, then. I'm no longer voting on the polls but will leave my feedback just in case this happens again, I can change my vote tally. ? ?

9 for BD
7 for SACD

I like the Doors, but I'm not an Uber-fan (I have the Perception Box Set), the content is great, definitely a Best Of, and I like the Quad mix.

I have the SACD and it left me a bit underwhelmed I've only listened to it twice since I got it, I can't pin down why. So I'm giving the SACD a 7.

I've listened to the Blu-ray 4 times since it arrived a week ago. It just seems to breathe, the music comes a live, its a really old recording yet its sounds fantastic. Its struck a chord so to speak, I'm more of a Doors fan now than I was (and I can't explain that). So I'm going to give the Blu-ray a 10

Unfortunately, I voted months and months ago when I got the AF SACD. I voted a 9 I think, and to be honest, I think that was generous. I AM a Doors fanboy, and I was blinded by my love of the band. Now, I would give this blu-ray a 10.

But, I can't vote again...so.... :)

Following up on my prior post no hesitation giving this a ten.....for the bluray. I have to consider the total package including the cds with rare mono mixes which sound great too. Another classic quad mix mastered with love.......and no channel screw ups unlike another label.......( to be clear not with the Doors sacd )

Fortunately, I didn't vote on the SACD. The Blu-ray makes me want to vote and it gets a 10 from me.

I believe I voted 9 for the SACD. Maybe a weak 9. Surround-wise I think I'd vote about the same for the BD. It doesn't seem to sound that much better to me. Different, yes. The vocals sound about right, not low, as some others are hearing.
I do think the Rhino package is a slightly better value. I get CDs I'm willing to play in the car (not willing to play SACDs in the car for fear of scratching) of tracks I've likely never heard.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Back