Mobile Fidelity Hybrid Stereo (and Mono) SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you purchase it, Mark, would be interested to hear your assessment of the MoFi remaster vs. the original SACD 5.1 and/or the Elliott Scheiner 5.1 remix contained in the Layla boxset.

I did purchase Ralph. I never expect much from early Clapton, sometimes to raw, over modulated, etc.I don't believe you could make any Cream recording sound brilliant for instance. I am hoping for that nice MOFI sound that I love and trust, they do such a great job on everything. I don't know what to expect, the SACD will sound more natural then the Blu Ray ? Who knows.

I did purchase Ralph. I never expect much from early Clapton, sometimes to raw, over modulated, etc.I don't believe you could make any Cream recording sound brilliant for instance. I am hoping for that nice MOFI sound that I love and trust, they do such a great job on everything. I don't know what to expect, the SACD will sound more natural then the Blu Ray ? Who knows.

I agree. Cream was never a sonic marvel but hell, their music is fantastic. I do love the MoFi Stereo SACDs.......they take forever to be released but once they are, they are sonic marvels. The 5.1 SACD of Layla was not received well but on my system [and with you know what/plus HD Damper] it sounds excellent. I was going to spring for the Layla Boxset and Scheiner's 5.1 remix but it was only DTS 5.1. It should've been released in hi rez 5.1 as a stand alone BD~A.

BTW, do you get the Paul Cotton Disc, Firebird and if so, did you like it?

I received my MOFI Derek And The Dominoes, (#270 I guess not that many people buying ?) in yesterdays mail, looking forward to a listen this weekend. There are also preorders available for Dire Straits titles but I can't imagine them sounding better than my SHM SACD's.
CMOB_2188_SA__120487__11292016110327-6994.jpg

Listening now to an old friend, stereo Derek And The Dominoes, hybrid SACD. Excellent reissue as good as Mofi's Allman Brothers Fillmore East. This is really the only way to listen to it. Every track has subtle nuances that where completely buried before and now are there, better than my original LP, that's for dog gone sure.

About a half hour ago I listened to the excellent Monday mood setter, Gram Parsons , Grevious Angel, stereo of course, this disc is called by many the seed of country rock.

I have my copy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Played it last night.
Recommended.

GOS/BMOURA -

Can either of you tell me if single edits were used or the LP versions? The original RBCD version of the album had single edits of several tunes ("Just the Way You Are", "Pressure", "My Life", etc....) while later pressings restored the full length versions.

I would have eagerly purchased all of MFSL's Billy Joel SACDs. However, when they started the series I picked up The Nylon Curtain (my favorite of Billy's albums) and found it to only be a slight improvement over the RBCD. Then I tried the SACD of Piano Man which I found flat and lifeless. I ended up selling it. I never bothered with any of the others because of it. But I may consider this if you guys are recommending it.

GOS/BMOURA -

Can either of you tell me if single edits were used or the LP versions? The original RBCD version of the album had single edits of several tunes ("Just the Way You Are", "Pressure", "My Life", etc....) while later pressings restored the full length versions.

I would have eagerly purchased all of MFSL's Billy Joel SACDs. However, when they started the series I picked up The Nylon Curtain (my favorite of Billy's albums) and found it to only be a slight improvement over the RBCD. Then I tried the SACD of Piano Man which I found flat and lifeless. I ended up selling it. I never bothered with any of the others because of it. But I may consider this if you guys are recommending it.

I'm not sure about all the versions on this release but I did check "Just The Way You Are" and the running time is 1 minute longer than the CD version according to the times listed here

Since I was listening to "Just The Way You Are" on the new SACD release...I decided to compare that song to the surround version from the Stranger SACD...the same running time so it must be the LP expanded version...as to the sound comparison...I was surprised to see that the surround version(which IMO is excellent)is only slightly better than the new stereo SACD...a little more space and dimension....but I expected it to be much better....

I had the same mindset about the previous Billy Joel SACD releases from MoFi after reading the comments from various sources...so I just bought the surround versions...which I have been very pleased with...of course you can't please everybody...even with the surround versions... as some thought there was too much separation...mainly too much center channel useage...but IMO this new stereo release is special...I think it's as well done as stereo versions can be of these songs...the only thing that could top this is if every song was in surround on these 2 discs....and that's never going to happen...of course that won't stop someone from demanding it on these forums....

This title is now one of my favorites...I love it....I've played it so much and can't get enough...it's instant gratification for me...even though I have surround versions of some of these songs.... this is now my "go to version"...if you like Billy Joel you NEED this title

Ralphie...Snood...Simon...you need to follow Gos and purchase this...I feel confident giving my thumbs up to you guys as we share a musical bond....

I'm not sure about all the versions on this release but I did check "Just The Way You Are" and the running time is 1 minute longer than the CD version according to the times listed here

Since I was listening to "Just The Way You Are" on the new SACD release...I decided to compare that song to the surround version from the Stranger SACD...the same running time so it must be the LP expanded version...as to the sound comparison...I was surprised to see that the surround version(which IMO is excellent)is only slightly better than the new stereo SACD...a little more space and dimension....but I expected it to be much better....

I had the same mindset about the previous Billy Joel SACD releases from MoFi after reading the comments from various sources...so I just bought the surround versions...which I have been very pleased with...of course you can't please everybody...even with the surround versions... as some thought there was too much separation...mainly too much center channel useage...but IMO this new stereo release is special...I think it's as well done as stereo versions can be of these songs...the only thing that could top this is if every song was in surround on these 2 discs....and that's never going to happen...of course that won't stop someone from demanding it on these forums....

This title is now one of my favorites...I love it....I've played it so much and can't get enough...it's instant gratification for me...even though I have surround versions of some of these songs.... this is now my "go to version"...if you like Billy Joel you NEED this title

Ralphie...Snood...Simon...you need to follow Gos and purchase this...I feel confident giving my thumbs up to you guys as we share a musical bond....

Thanks for the review Clint. Sounds like this is a must-buy for me. Billy is one of my faves. Seen him at least 30 times over the years (including the millennium New Year's Eve show at Madison Square Garden documented on the 2000 Years - The Millennium Concert CD.) For my money, he's one of the greatest songwriters of the last 50 years. Doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Back