Mobile Fidelity Hybrid Stereo (and Mono) SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received a new copy of Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers.

SACD - Original Master Recording [MOFI # 997]

I don't want to get too dramatic here, but holy SHIT! This MOFI SACD absolutely destroys any version I currently have. I cannot believe how good this sounds and I really didn't think it could sound this good. Airplane has not been known to have audiophile tendencies.....

So, if you are a fan of Volunteers and you want to hear it in a new way....ummm. Get this. You won't be disappointed.

Just received a new copy of Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers.

SACD - Original Master Recording [MOFI # 997]

I don't want to get too dramatic here, but holy SHIT! This MOFI SACD absolutely destroys any version I currently have. I cannot believe how good this sounds and I really didn't think it could sound this good. Airplane has not been known to have audiophile tendencies.....

So, if you are a fan of Volunteers and you want to hear it in a new way....ummm. Get this. You won't be disappointed.

Wow...I'm surprised and wish the MoFi Surrealistic Pillow SACD would have sounded that good:(...I'm not that excited about the content on Volunteers...

Wow...I'm surprised and wish the MoFi Surrealistic Pillow SACD would have sounded that good:(...I'm not that excited about the content on Volunteers...

Man, I'm glad you told me, cause I've had my eye on the Pillow SACD. Keep in mind though, I'm saying this destroys any version I own. I have a CD and an original vinyl. Still, I'm talking about total destroy.

Man, I'm glad you told me, cause I've had my eye on the Pillow SACD. Keep in mind though, I'm saying this destroys any version I own. I have a CD and an original vinyl. Still, I'm talking about total destroy.

So I need to get this apparently, still pissed a SACD is released without including the quad mix. MFSL Surrealistic Pillow sounds really good to me, smooth, not the annoying stereo reverb. We should keep in mind that it never was an audiophile recording.

Don't get me wrong...Pillow is not horrible...and there is improvement over the CD version...but it's not a dramatic difference like what you are describing.....but I haven't gotten rid of it...why...because it has the best 2 songs from the Airplane era...Somebody To Love and White Rabbit...I'm listening to it right now...I think if I was in a dark room with nothing to drink or smoke...I could get stoned by just listening to White Rabbit...what an amazing song...the beginning just gives me chills... a lot of this stems from memories I have of that period...the other part is the power of that song...

[video=youtube;WANNqr-vcx0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0[/video]

Really, you haven't heard JA's "Wooden Ships" (Kantner wrote it with Stills & Crosby on the latter's boat) until you've listened to the MOFI SACD played loud!!!

But yes, there was no reason not to have the quad on a hybrid, except that MOFI seems to refuse to do those :mad:

BTW, Surrealistic Pillow is MONO: http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11957

But don't let that deter you. It does sound great.

Black Friday sales are rapidly approaching and Music Direct usually offers 20% discounts on their music w/free shipping over $49. If you can wait, that's the time to buy.

MFSL1-294-2.jpg

Such a great voice!

Listening now to MOFI stereo Hybrid SACD Allman Brothers Band Live At Fillmore East. Guaranteed best version. I am an expert. Better than the Blu Ray 5.1 which is second best.

Today was supposedly release day: Music Direct has a TBA listing, and Amazon US has an "Out of Stock" listing (!).

Anyone receive any shipment news for the SACD?
I received my copy yesterday 5/19. Still haven't played it yet though. I actually have another copy coming. I ordered this right away when I saw it was available forgetting I also had it pre-ordered. Duh! :rolleyes:

Back