Mobile Fidelity Hybrid Stereo (and Mono) SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I probably should not have posted that here since this is the STEREO forum for SACD and all and those interested in the stereo disc should be joyous, but it just really ticks me off that they don't even make an attempt to get the quad tracks on their SACDs and their Mobile Fidelity heritage was deep into four channel sound.

But hey, I pay for the place, so WTF!! :)

Jon, I think you are perfectly within bounds to express your frustration over the lack of Quad mixes on MOFI SACDs, mostly because it prevents other SACD-oriented record labels (like Audio Fidelity and Analogue Productions) from releasing a great Quad SACD themselves.
I, for one, will continue to not support MOFI as long as they are involved in deliberately quad-blocking albums from getting a Quad SACD release.

:mad:

Jon, I think you are perfectly within bounds to express your frustration over the lack of Quad mixes on MOFI SACDs, mostly because it prevents other SACD-oriented record labels (like Audio Fidelity and Analogue Productions) from releasing a great Quad SACD themselves.
I, for one, will continue to not support MOFI as long as they are involved in deliberately quad-blocking albums from getting a Quad SACD release.

:mad:

We see it as 'Quad-Blocking', but I am sure they just see it as a title they want to release on their label. I doubt they are sitting around saying "Let's release this title so that another label will not be able to release it with a quad mix as well". That's not what ticks me off as a quad-freak minority music-buyer. What ticks me off is they appear to not even consider investigating the inclusion of the quad mix. AF has showed that it can be done without an increase in list price, so what's the big deal MoFi? Do it and restore your heritage.

We see it as 'Quad-Blocking', but I am sure they just see it as a title they want to release on their label. I doubt they are sitting around saying "Let's release this title so that another label will not be able to release it with a quad mix as well". That's not what ticks me off as a quad-freak minority music-buyer. What ticks me off is they appear to not even consider investigating the inclusion of the quad mix. AF has showed that it can be done without an increase in list price, so what's the big deal MoFi? Do it and restore your heritage.

You're right in that I don't think they are deliberately trying to stop a Quad mix from getting released on SACD, but they are trying to stop other labels from releasing SACDs of certain titles by licensing them (even announcing them for release in some cases) then sitting on them sometimes for an indefinite period of time, sometimes lasting years! That in itself should be frustrating for any SACD fan, even those who don't care about Quadraphonic mixes. :mad:

Jon, as bmoura explained it recently in another post: MoFi's mastering labs are STEREO only and do not include multichannel mastering facilities. Since, unlike AP, they do everything "in house" and the few former QUAD SACDs they did release were outsourced, doubtful they will change their tune in regards to ever releasing a multichannel SACD in the near future.

And it is ironic but NOT intentional that a lot of their SACDs do have a quad or 5.1 remix languishing in the vaults (Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Janis Joplin, Carly Simon, Cars, Santana, etc.)

Repeated emails to MoFi have met with the same reply: We do NOT do multichannel at this time. But at least they're including liner notes with most of their current SACD releases....something they started to abandon with quite a few of their SACD reissues.

My biggest gripe [and I'm sure others] with MoFi is that they sit on these titles for months, sometimes years, precluding any other reissue company from probably ever releasing them in multichannel.

This was one of my favorite quad mixes, especially the ending of the track No One to Depend On. It gave the P.O.S SQD2020 a good workout.

I came here to bitch about the fact that this means the amazing quad mix won't see the light of (to)day, but then I noticed you guys already have it covered :-D

Still: *sigh*

Received some titles today
001.jpg
002.jpg

Well I have a good Bud Buzz on now and catching up on recent MOFI Hybrid SACD releases, all are fucking great, Bill Withers Greatest Hits, Billy Joel, The Stranger, 52nd St., Santana I and Abraxas and Santana III, Carly Simons Anticipation and the other one where she looks fine, forget the album name. I love MOFI, I know they are stereo only but they are so good at what they do, better, way better, than AF's stereo releases. I got burned out on Chicago's, very awesome box set and definitive I may add. If you are into new music Bruce Hornsby's Rehab Reunion is fantastic. No piano all Dulcimer. I got the USB 24/96 stick of Clapton's new I Still Do, stereo awesome only also. I have to admit that Beach Boys BD release at same time as Quadio was not smart, like movies in the theater you have to time your release for competition. I also got my final Monster Music Ray Charles, love it. Did I tell you I found a Tesla DVD-A live for $38.00 cant wait. My machine is stellar now after two years of working on it.

Back