Mobile Fidelity Hybrid Stereo (and Mono) SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just came today..

011.JPG

I just read that as well. Also, unless I misunderstood, not only Kind Of Blue, but they are releasing many other Miles Davis classics.....need to look again.

I just read that as well. Also, unless I misunderstood, not only Kind Of Blue, but they are releasing many other Miles Davis classics.....need to look again.

Some of the other Miles Davis albums were available from Mobile Fidelity before. Haven't followed it closely to know which are which.
I'm more interested in the upcoming Santana SACD reissues from MoFi.

Some of the other Miles Davis albums were available from Mobile Fidelity before. Haven't followed it closely to know which are which.
I'm more interested in the upcoming Santana SACD reissues from MoFi.

Yes, but for sure - several are being released tomorrow. Including Bitches Brew.

EDIT - maybe it's just Bitches Brew.....many others are actually LP format.

In fact Brian, MOFI is releasing a whole bunch of SACD that ship out tomorrow. Many Miles Davis, and just a whole bunch other discs that are of interest. I wish there was an easy way to filter down to SACD that ship tomorrow. You'd see a whole bunch......as an example, 4 SACD from Foreigner all ship tomorrow. Several Billy Joel ship tomorrow....The Band ships tomorrow...on and on.

EDIT - I may be getting ahead of myself here....just because it says "ships 6-11-15" doesn't mean that's the first time it's been available...does it?

I may be getting ahead of myself here....just because it says "ships 6-11-15" doesn't mean that's the first time it's been available...does it?

Exactly. Music Direct says "ships 6-11-15" instead of the more common "In Stock" used by other web sites.
Still, you can order those SACDs and have them ship right away... :)

Exactly. Music Direct says "ships 6-11-15" instead of the more common "In Stock" used by other web sites.
Still, you can order those SACDs and have them ship right away... :)

Gotcha......you can tell I've not ordered much from them before. Man, I was thinking they were going bonkers with new releases.

Finally!!

So "Kind of Blue" gets 2 SACD releases within one week. The 2 different versions could be coming from the same plant.

Or two different plants - Sony in Austria and Sony in Japan.

As for the different versions of Kind of Blue, don't forget the earlier versions on SACD and DSD:
  • Single Layer Stereo SACD - Sony Music
  • Single Layer Stereo SACD - Sony Music Japan
  • Single Layer Multichannel SACD - Sony Music
  • Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD - Sony Music Japan
  • Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD - Sony Europe
  • DSD Stereo Download - Super HiRez/Acoustic Sounds

Or two different plants - Sony in Austria and Sony in Japan.

As for the different versions of Kind of Blue, don't forget the earlier versions on SACD and DSD:
  • Single Layer Stereo SACD - Sony Music
  • Single Layer Stereo SACD - Sony Music Japan
  • Single Layer Multichannel SACD - Sony Music
  • Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD - Sony Music Japan
  • Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD - Sony Europe
  • DSD Stereo Download - Super HiRez/Acoustic Sounds

Up until this point the Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD from Japan which uses the 2006 remastering and was also released in 2007 seems to get the most praise...it has the 3 channel option...of course I have not heard anything about the download...can't speak to that one...what bothers me about the MoFi release is they don't mention WHO worked on this...usually when Steve H or Gus work on them they get mentioned...they didn't mention anyone in their description...I'll be buying a version and I had planned on the Sony Hybrid Multichannel version from Japan...but I will wait until I hear some feedback....

Up until this point the Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD from Japan which uses the 2006 remastering and was also released in 2007 seems to get the most praise...it has the 3 channel option...of course I have not heard anything about the download...can't speak to that one...what bothers me about the MoFi release is they don't mention WHO worked on this...usually when Steve H or Gus work on them they get mentioned...they didn't mention anyone in their description...I'll be buying a version and I had planned on the Sony Hybrid Multichannel version from Japan...but I will wait until I hear some feedback....

Mobile Fidelity has two mastering engineers on staff - Shawn Britton and Rob LoVerde. I'm sure it was one of these engineers on the new MoFi SACD mastering.

Are these guys younger than the oldsters that AF uses? I usually like MFSL masterings a little better. The packaging, of course, is awful. They need to move to proper packaging instead of trying to save money.

Are these guys younger than the oldsters that AF uses? I usually like MFSL masterings a little better. The packaging, of course, is awful. They need to move to proper packaging instead of trying to save money.

Shawn Britton is around the same age as Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray. Haven't met Rob LoVerde, but I do know he was a former Sony mastering engineer in his pre-MoFi days.

I got put off of MoFi's SACDs when they started doing the Billy Joel catalog. I bought Nylon Curtain which I though was a slight improvement over the Columbia CD, but not sure it was worth the $30 upgrade. The SACD of Piano Man on the other hand sounded horrible; very flat, muddy and lifeless. I gave it one listen then turned around and sold it on eBay. At that point I stopped and didn't bother spending money on any of the other Billy Joel titles.

I like the Glass Houses SACD of theirs. Way better than that dead sounding gold CD AF put out and quickly put out of print (I guess they agreed).

Back