David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well..so much for expectations...
I know I'll have fire and brimstone rain over me for saying this ..but what a cop-out of an album!!!!!
It didn't move me, it didn't do ANYTHING for me...
BOOORIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!

Man..Mr Gilmour must have paid some SERIOUS PAYOLA to basically EVERYONE , cause all the magazines are like "if you're going to buy ONE album this month, it should be THIS!"...yeah, only if you run out of sleeping pills!!!!!

geezz....

I was not from the Waters camp too much, but I'm getting there now...at least he knows how to put on a SHOW!!!!

Here the lowdown..I LOOOVE DG's 1st LP...OK, the 2nd one was different but , in a way, a bit disappointing ...the quality of his works has been declining (Pink Floyd Mk III aside)...but this one ; there's NOWHERE "to grab it from"...

So , my fellow Quadheads, this teaches us a very important lesson..PAYOLA RULES!!!!
Gilmour at least has the guts to release new music. Waters on the other hand released his last album 23 years ago! Apparently it is easier to claim his fellow bandmates work as his own and tour the world many times with it.

Do you have knowledge of Waters "lip synching video miming theatrics"? Please tell us about it.

Roger lip syncing in concert is old news. It started happening with his earliest solo tours. If you listen to bootlegs from the '84/'85 tour, you can hear that some of the higher vocal parts ("Take the kids back to town, maybe I'll see you around..." during "Go Fishing" and the verse that starts with "From where I stand upon this hill....." during "Every Strangers Eyes") are not only identical every night but they are identical to what you hear on the original LP.

When Roger hit the road again after a long absence in 1999, I was with a friend at a show at Jones Beach. We had 10th row center seats. When that verse in "Every Stranger's Eyes" was about to come up, I turned to my friend and said "watch closely, he lip-syncs this next bit."
My friend gave me a nasty glare. How could I dare suggest that someone with Roger's integrity would do such a thing? "Just watch closely" I repeated. Before the verse ended, my friend had turned back to me and said "holy sh*t, you're right!"

And I don't want to suggest that I don't like Roger's solo shows. Over the years I've seen him solo 15 times. Although I found the 1999-2007 era a bit underwhelming, I've enjoyed the other tours immensely, lip-syncing and all :)

Roger Waters makes Jose Mourinho seem like a humble guy. What a moron.

For me Gilmour continues to represent the heart and soul of Pink Floyd. Having musical integrity also goes a long way.
After Waters recent public shaming of Bon Jovi I decided it was finally time to write him off.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...i-over-israel-concert-in-open-letter-20151002

It's appears to be okay for him to play all across the US whose war crimes are too numerous to mention. I guess it all depends on where the money is.

Roger lip syncing in concert is old news. It started happening with his earliest solo tours. If you listen to bootlegs from the '84/'85 tour, you can hear that some of the higher vocal parts ("Take the kids back to town, maybe I'll see you around..." during "Go Fishing" and the verse that starts with "From where I stand upon this hill....." during "Every Strangers Eyes") are not only identical every night but they are identical to what you hear on the original LP.

When Roger hit the road again after a long absence in 1999, I was with a friend at a show at Jones Beach. We had 10th row center seats. When that verse in "Every Stranger's Eyes" was about to come up, I turned to my friend and said "watch closely, he lip-syncs this next bit."
My friend gave me a nasty glare. How could I dare suggest that someone with Roger's integrity would do such a thing? "Just watch closely" I repeated. Before the verse ended, my friend had turned back to me and said "holy sh*t, you're right!"

And I don't want to suggest that I don't like Roger's solo shows. Over the years I've seen him solo 15 times. Although I found the 1999-2007 era a bit underwhelming, I've enjoyed the other tours immensely, lip-syncing and all :)

After searching it a bit, the proof certainly seems to be there. I wasn't aware of it, but I can't say I'm surprised though. Waters never has had a great voice, and he has often admitted it. At his age I'm sure his singing voice is pretty ragged, and the long legs of the Wall tours probably shredded it further. But I also read that Waters fully admits he augments his shows with pre-recorded vocals. So at least he's being up front about it to some degree.

I guess when you are an old rock star and your voice is failing, you can do one of several things. You can retire and stop. You can accept it and just go with it (I've witnessed a lot of that). You can fake it with pre-recorded vocals. And I suppose you can do what I've seen Ian Anderson do, and turn them over to someone else. I'm not sure what I would prefer they do. I can say I've seen every Waters solo tour and I never noticed it. Not that I was sitting close enough to detect it. I enjoyed every one of those shows. They are always a production and a spectacle. The strength in Waters works are those wonderful lyrics he turns out, it was never about the delivery for me. Those lyrics bring up an emotional response in me. I get a similar emotional response listening to Gilmore's music. And when those two guys combined their respective talents, the whole was always greater than the sum of the parts. I guess I just want one more great album from one of them. I don't think I'm ever going to see it.

Don't you just wish Waters and Gilmore would try the Elton John/ Bernie Taupin thing... with Waters writing lyrics and Gilmore setting them to music.

Last edited:
Don't you just wish Waters and Gilmore would try the Elton John/ Bernie Taupin thing... with Waters writing lyrics and Gilmore setting them to music.
Actually, no. Waters hasn't written a good song lyric in decades. I'm perfectly happy with the Gilmour/ Sampson collaboration as imperfect as it is.

What I've always felt is that their talents alone were enough to carry a good record, regardless of the quality of what's needed to complement that talent. In Roger's case, it's having excellent musicians at his disposal because he's an average bass/guitar/keyboards guy, and in David's it's having lyricists such as his wife (who gets a bit unfairly criticized for her efforts I think) and others because getting songs out of him is like getting water from a stone.

Gave the CD version (loaner from the library) of this album a full listen last night and over all, it really didn't do much for me, not a bad album, just didn't excite me....guess I'll be holding off on getting the surround mix until the price is right.

I've listened to the 2 channel version for several days now...mostly while driving off site for work and I must say, I like it. So, I expect the surround version will please me as well.

I've listened to the 2 channel version for several days now...mostly while driving off site for work and I must say, I like it. So, I expect the surround version will please me as well.

Me too but I've only been listening to the surround (Quad), the only track I have a bit of an issue with is the title track "Rattle That Lock", nothing wrong with it but its just too catchy and its stuck in my head! The mix is great, fits the music, and I really like the jazzy The Girl In The Yellow Dress. It is a David Gilmour solo album after all, not a Floyd one. The Barn Jams are fun as well.

I know I'll have fire and brimstone rain over me for saying this ..but what a cop-out of an album!!!!!
BOOORIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!

Man..Mr Gilmour must have paid some SERIOUS PAYOLA to basically EVERYONE , cause all the magazines are like "if you're going to buy ONE album this month, it should be THIS!"...yeah, only if you run out of sleeping pills!!!!!

geezz....

I was not from the Waters camp too much, but I'm getting there now...at least he knows how to put on a SHOW!!!!

Here the lowdown..I LOOOVE DG's 1st LP...OK, the 2nd one was different but , in a way, a bit disappointing ...the quality of his works has been declining (Pink Floyd Mk III aside)...but this one ; there's NOWHERE "to grab it from"...

So , my fellow Quadheads, this teaches us a very important lesson..PAYOLA RULES!!!!

Is it so horrible in your opinion you can't focus on just the mix and sound quality? I listened to this a few times over the past week and the quality of the sound and mix made whatever I listened to next pale in comparison. OK it was a crapshoot what was on deck (didn't compare to Marleys hits or something like that) but man this makes my system sing...

Is it so horrible in your opinion you can't focus on just the mix and sound quality? I listened to this a few times over the past week and the quality of the sound and mix made whatever I listened to next pale in comparison. OK it was a crapshoot what was on deck (didn't compare to Marleys hits or something like that) but man this makes my system sing...

Oh, the mix is spectacular, Andy is a MONSTER!!!! It's just the CONTENTS that I don't like....I'm sure Dave worked on this quite a bit , but he needs a "reality check", that's why having other people like Rick and Nick around was good...they would have told him...sorry, boring....VERY boring...
And on top of that, all the payola (hey , Dave has the dough, HE can afford it) is a bit too much for me..
It reminds me of the movies nowadays..the more "rave reviews" it has on the poster or trailer , the worse it is...REALLY good movies don't NEED the "reviews"...

Oh, the mix is spectacular, Andy is a MONSTER!!!! It's just the CONTENTS that I don't like....I'm sure Dave worked on this quite a bit , but he needs a "reality check", that's why having other people like Rick and Nick around was good...they would have told him...sorry, boring....VERY boring...
And on top of that, all the payola (hey , Dave has the dough, HE can afford it) is a bit too much for me..
It reminds me of the movies nowadays..the more "rave reviews" it has on the poster or trailer , the worse it is...REALLY good movies don't NEED the "reviews"...

I try to buy all these new hi rez releases BUT I passed on this one...I had the same feeling you have about it being very vanilla..or as you say boring...that's how I felt about Endless River and I wish I would have passed on that one...just bland and unconnected music that takes you nowhere...I just can't see how a great mix and sound quality can save something so pedestrian...rating music is so subjective that there is no right or wrong answer...just different opinions...I know where you are coming from on this title..

I agree too, wonderful mix (I voted a 10 in the poll), but music not so much. I keep playing this album desperately hoping that the songs will grab me more, but I'm afraid to say they haven't yet. And I might add that I loved On An Island, and am finding it strange the number of reviews that I've read (from both media and public), that say how much more exciting and varied the new one is than his last one.

BOOORIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!

And you expected something different after the last... well, everything since About Face?

I love Pink Floyd mkI & mkII and I can't help looking at any new release these guys might do. Hoping for some new album that will hit me like Meddle or something. I know better but I still can't help looking or reading the articles and reviews.

Killer production I'm sure. I just wish there was even the slightest something in the music here for me. I actually fell for the hype for TER and of course was pulled back to reality by exactly what I should have expected had I been thinking.

Dave has settled into this polite music thing. Roger, no matter how many crack musicians he has on stage, is missing that live band taking chances and improvising around things. Together (with their collective bs detectors) they were magic. Dave still sounds instantly fantastic on the gtr and the performance just sounds right. Roger still has the stagecraft and then some. Wish they could have gotten hungry to work together more.

Last edited:
Back