Dynaquad Discs & Recommended

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They also released, I believe, 7 titles by James Last. Those were tagged as "digital surround encoded", but were clearly processed in the AMSI system, too. They sound quite good.

I'm only aware of the 2 Q8's issued and some info via SimonA that James Last was an early supporter of quad .

Can you elaborate on which titles from James Last were "AMSI" encoded ?

I'm only aware of the 2 Q8's issued and some info via SimonA that James Last was an early supporter of quad .

Can you elaborate on which titles from James Last were "AMSI" encoded ?
James Last also had an "unmarked" QS-encoded LP, "Voodoo Party". No mention of quad anywhere, but it's clearly obvious when the record is played through a QS decoder. As for the AMSI CD's, "Games That Lovers Play"; "Biscaya"; "The Best Of The Great Instrumentals"; "The Best of Classics Up To Date"; "Country Roads"; The Best Of Gentleman of Music"; "The Best Of Beach Party"; and "The Best Of Non-Stop Dancing". There's no mention of AMSI, but there's a sticker on the front of the jewelcase, and the insert inside, that tells you the disc has been processed for surround systems. These discs sound quite good through QS or Dolby PL II decoders; haven't tried them through an SQ decoder. These CD's are all reissues.

James Last also had an "unmarked" QS-encoded LP, "Voodoo Party". No mention of quad anywhere, but it's clearly obvious when the record is played through a QS decoder. As for the AMSI CD's, "Games That Lovers Play"; "Biscaya"; "The Best Of The Great Instrumentals"; "The Best of Classics Up To Date"; "Country Roads"; The Best Of Gentleman of Music"; "The Best Of Beach Party"; and "The Best Of Non-Stop Dancing". There's no mention of AMSI, but there's a sticker on the front of the jewelcase, and the insert inside, that tells you the disc has been processed for surround systems. These discs sound quite good through QS or Dolby PL II decoders; haven't tried them through an SQ decoder. These CD's are all reissues.

So they would all be on the Polydor or Polygram label ?

The 2 Q8'S were Polydor Canada and were encased in the Polygram Q8 Canadian dark blue sleeves-- identical to all the BTO Q8'S from Mercury and of course displayed with them .
Had I known at the time that they were exclusively isssued in Canada........well it's two, too late now.:rolleyes:

A few more pics of Dynaquad or similar devices.

20170721_101454.jpg20170721_101531.jpg

and sans pictures, but info only. The Neal resolver was exclusive to Britian , btw.

20170721_101543.jpg20170721_101513.jpg

James Last had 4 q8 tapes on Polydor in Canada that I know of.
Non Stop Dancing 1 1974
Non Stop Dancing 2 1974
Happy Hammond
Beach Party 5
There may be more. I don't know.
Polydor also had a q8 of Roberto Delgado Bouzouki in Canada.

James Last had 4 q8 tapes on Polydor in Canada that I know of.
Non Stop Dancing 1 1974
Non Stop Dancing 2 1974
Happy Hammond
Beach Party 5
There may be more. I don't know.
Polydor also had a q8 of Roberto Delgado Bouzouki in Canada.

Good to know, thanks, Phil (y)

I vaguely remember seeing that Delgado-Bouzouki Q8 tape. Yes I agree there could possibly be more. Polygram Canada and for that matter other labels who were making Q8'S here, kinda did their own thing.

A&M Records Canada had a listing for at least 2-3 Q8's I have never seen but may exist. One was by Joan Armatrading.

RCA Records Canada had two not released elsewhere, Doc Sevrenson (title I forget ) and of course a 2nd B.W.Stevenson Q8 , I had "My Maria "

Also had a Sampler Q8 from Columbia Records Canada, never saw listed in the U.S.

-and exclusively to Q8 from Polydor Canada there was a copy of Eric Clapton-There's One In Every Crowd on the Polydor/RSO label , same # as the U.S. Atlantic/RSO tape. There may also have been the Polydor/RSO Q8 of Clapton's 461 Ocean
BLVD., but I never saw one.

It's rather strange actually as both of these Clapton's quad lps were imported in by WEA Canada for their respective U.S.
CD4 Discs which were on the Atlantic/RSO label.

Last edited:
Back