Chad Kassem on the Future of SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other question is, do they still like Atom Heart Mother at all? I don't think so.

That's true. The reissue labels need band approval for a new edition of Atom Heart Mother, so that could be a significant hurdle for a new release.

That's true. The reissue labels need band approval for a new edition of Atom Heart Mother, so that could be a significant hurdle for a new release.

*Sigh*

I can only dream about how damn cool all those mumblings and footsteps and crackling cereal would sound in Quad......OMG!

Does Chad Kassem have anything to say about Analogue Productions upcoming Jeff Beck/Wired SACD which will be Stereo only when there is an amazing Quad mix languishing in the vaults?

Whether or not they have "LIVE QUAD TAPES " of their quad shows in their vaults will always be a mystery, unless someone in the "know" has access to the "Floyd's own vault".
I for one consider they must have much in the way of quad and or multi's, just as most rock musican's in their league would want to capture.

And top league Floyd are.Presenting the vast majority of their shows in a Quad presentation was 'THE NORM'.And also of course Water's & Gilmour's solo shows were in Quad and still are to the best of my knowledge. And when you consider they own and utilize one of the best concert systems "BRITANNIA ROW", one can only conclude they have ample surround concert tapes! Of course I can only guess this, but.........I Bet they do.

On a separate Floyd note did anyone notice the reissue of the SACD of DSOTM on Parlaphone/Warner Bros.records?? Boy will wonders never cease? Warner Bros. issued SACD?? How cool and unusual to see a DVDA proponent do that.Was browsing in my local HMV when I noticed this.

...........On a separate Floyd note did anyone notice the reissue of the SACD of DSOTM on Parlaphone/Warner Bros.records?? Boy will wonders never cease? Warner Bros. issued SACD?? How cool and unusual to see a DVDA proponent do that.Was browsing in my local HMV when I noticed this.

I need to get one of those! I don't see it listed at amazon.uk or amazon.de either. Where might I get it? On second thought it looks like Parlophone may have used the same UPC as the EMI version, so who knows what I'd end up with.

I need to get one of those! I don't see it listed at amazon.uk or amazon.de either. Where might I get it? On second thought it looks like Parlophone may have used the same UPC as the EMI version, so who knows what I'd end up with.

It was by pure chance I checked the reverse of the DSOTM case, and I already own two copies..............but like you I think I need to get it if only because it's so weird to see on WARNER BROS/PARLOPHONE.

WHAT'S NEXT ? WISH YOU WERE HERE ? ATOM HEART MOTHER?........PARLOPHONE/WARNER BROS, SACD'S???

Check the sky for two moons and maybe you'll see pigs fly.

Here are the rest of the comments by Chad Kassem from the DSD Panel article. They offer an interesting insight in licensing classic albums from the major record labels and the economics of SACD and DSD Downloads.

7 - Chad Kassem.jpg

"Chad Kassem, owner of the Super HiRez.Com music downloads site, Analogue Productions and Acoustic Sounds talked about the world of licensing classic pop, jazz and blues recordings for remastering and release on SACD and DSD. Kassem announced that Super HiRez now offers over 500 DSD Downloads which remain a popular part of his company's business. The DSD Downloads were launched after requests and customer feedback, including a DSD panel such as this one according to Kassem.

Kassem also discussed the long process involved in licensing classic recordings. He said it is very time consuming and can be difficult. As a result, SACD and DSD releases don't come out as often as music fans would like. But, Kassem says, "we keep working to get more".

As part of that process, Kassem related a funny story involving a young executive at Sony Music. When requesting a license from Sony Music for some classic albums, Kassem indicated they would be for SACD and DSD Download release on his web site. When the young exec asked "What is SACD and DSD?" Kassem replied "You (Sony) invented it" followed by a tutorial on what SACD and DSD is all about.

Kassem also talked about the economics of SACD and DSD Download releases. He noted that music downloads opens up an interesting option. In some cases, a full SACD release may not pencil out, but a release of the music as a DSD Download will. So there are cases where the album comes out that way (as a download) vs. as an SACD."

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue79/dsd_panel.htm

The other question is, do they still like Atom Heart Mother at all? I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure the sound they really like is found in first 10 seconds of Side 2 of Dark Side of The Moon. :)

I'm pretty sure the sound they really like is found in first 10 seconds of Side 2 of Dark Side of The Moon. :)

Except the part where fans like me were lining up to buy the bluray discs as they came out but they stopped releasing them after only 2!

We know all the HD masters are in the can because they went and released CD reductions made from them to tease us. The only theory I can come up with is the record company is hoarding their HD releases to wait for another round of "now with improved sound!" after either Dave or Roger dies. And that sucks!

Kassem related a funny story involving a young executive at Sony Music. When requesting a license from Sony Music for some classic albums, Kassem indicated they would be for SACD and DSD Download release on his web site. When the young exec asked "What is SACD and DSD?"

hmmmmm, why is that totally not surprising

Except the part where fans like me were lining up to buy the bluray discs as they came out but they stopped releasing them after only 2!

We know all the HD masters are in the can because they went and released CD reductions made from them to tease us. The only theory I can come up with is the record company is hoarding their HD releases to wait for another round of "now with improved sound!" after either Dave or Roger dies. And that sucks!

Or maybe they're waiting for more content, or for their record label to start a similar HFPA series like Universal is already doing.

Or maybe they're waiting for more content, or for their record label to start a similar HFPA series like Universal is already doing.

His point was that they people involved with SACD and DVD-A have long since left the major record labels, requiring those who were around when the big 3 were releasing significant numbers of SACDs and DVD-As (such as Kassem) need to remind them about those days.

As to future plans, Kassem talked about more Vinyl and SACD releases. No mention of BD Audio from him - or anyone else on the panel or at The Show Newport that weekend.

Back