I need a new 5.1 Receiver but it must have a 5.1 analogue input; any suggestions?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inquadwetrust

300 Club - QQ All-Star
My Onkyo receiver sadly did not do so well in it's transatlantic journey from London to San Francisco and I need to replace it so I can use my soon-to-arrive Involve SQ Vinyl edition with it. Do any QQers have any recommendations for a 5.1 amp that will give me hopefully two HDMI outs (but one will be just fine), a bunch of HDMI ins and 5.1 analog input as well? My budget is up to $1000 - I've owned Yamaha, Sony and Onkyo receivers up to now, the Onkyo being my favorite out of all of them. Currently available (or in stock previous models) would be the most helpful. I am also open to second hand offers from QQers that may wish to move something on that suits the criteria.

Thanks!

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-flagship-home-theater-receiver-150wpc/1.html

If you have no problem w/ factory refurb, this world class AVR can be had for less than 50% of original retail. It'll be way lower than your budget, so you can afford to get an extended warranty if refurb concerns you at all.

$750- gets you: 150W X 9(!), audyssey multeq xt32, 7 hdmi in, 3 out, MCH analog inputs, denon-link (if you have any denon players)- not much this baby doesn't have or do...

If I were in the market for an AVR, I'd go for this in a flash.

If I lived in the US ... :rolleyes: Btw, that Denon beast also supports DSD direct playback (y) .

If I lived in the US ... :rolleyes: Btw, that Denon beast also supports DSD direct playback (y) .

Well, for that price, you could afford to have someone here buy it for you and ship it to you- assuming you have someone here you trust enough to do that. Could be a problem if you ever needed warranty work though I guess.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-flagship-home-theater-receiver-150wpc/1.html

If you have no problem w/ factory refurb, this world class AVR can be had for less than 50% of original retail. It'll be way lower than your budget, so you can afford to get an extended warranty if refurb concerns you at all.

$750- gets you: 150W X 9(!), audyssey multeq xt32, 7 hdmi in, 3 out, MCH analog inputs, denon-link (if you have any denon players)- not much this baby doesn't have or do...

If I were in the market for an AVR, I'd go for this in a flash.

I second the choice! Great deal indeed! I have big Onkyo, and love it! Just know that Denon will not go up to 192 hz. (like there's a lot of 192 media) but if the cost is prohibited, check on the AVS forum for used, I got my Onkyo there and one hell of a good deal to boot, I would have never been able to swing anything over 1k for an amp.

Yeah... The above looks awesome.

I have the Yamaha RX-V661 and if I was using the analogue 5.1 ins, I wouldn't be very happy with it. It features no sound processing for the analogue 5.1 ins, and neither does my Ubuntu PC. So 5.1 through analogue sounds like a transistor radio on my setup.

I believe it would be different if I were on Windows, which I believe offers bass management.

That said, I'm using HDMI for 5.1 audio (which means my PC thinks the receiver is an extra screen, which is a bit annoying but manageable). The receiver does the bass boosting etc., and I love the sound.

So FWIW, just figured I'd chip in: if you're looking into Yamaha, consider how it handles analogue 5.1. If there's no amplification or sound processing for it, you will have no bass and everything will sound tinny.

Not quite.

If you do need the (5.1) 6 CH EXT IN the AVR 4520CI does NOT have this. The reason I know is that I just purchased and AVR 4310CI from a QQ member who bought one of these AVR 4520 units. Since this was my second Denon purchase from this member, he was joking that when the time came I'd also buy the AVR 4520. When I found that it lacked the Multi-Channel analog input, I told him I'd have to pass!

The AVR 4310CI should be found for about $400 and it's great.

Hey Tim,
Sorry I never responded, but the 4520CI does have 7.1 EXT IN. I have my Surround Master hooked up through those inputs. I bought mine through accessories4less.com. That $749 for factory refurbished is a great deal. I bought a new model for $1099, the only difference is 1 year warranty vs 3 years for a new unit. Very happy with the receiver.

You could have set me straight back then! LOL well I looked up the back panel this morning and now see I clearly the EXTERNAL IN along the top of the RCA jack array.

Maybe we will talk upgrades again in 2017 or 2018!

Keep Calm and Have Patience

I bought a used Yamaha RX-V463 on eBay for $125. 2 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out. Analog 5.1 inputs. Not the highest end amp, but it's working for me.

J. D.

Sincere thanks to the learned QQers who offered advice about my dilemma; I think a refurb is going to do it just fine and I am very much looking forward to hearing what this amp can do with the Surround Master and my Rega deck. :smokin

What you can do to solve the lack of bass management on the 5.1/7.1 analog inputs is buy a used Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 on eBay. You then plug your Surround Master into the Outlaw, and the Outlaw into the analog inputs. Then the Outlaw will do your bass management.

Yeah... The above looks awesome.

I have the Yamaha RX-V661 and if I was using the analogue 5.1 ins, I wouldn't be very happy with it. It features no sound processing for the analogue 5.1 ins, and neither does my Ubuntu PC. So 5.1 through analogue sounds like a transistor radio on my setup.

I believe it would be different if I were on Windows, which I believe offers bass management.

That said, I'm using HDMI for 5.1 audio (which means my PC thinks the receiver is an extra screen, which is a bit annoying but manageable). The receiver does the bass boosting etc., and I love the sound.

So FWIW, just figured I'd chip in: if you're looking into Yamaha, consider how it handles analogue 5.1. If there's no amplification or sound processing for it, you will have no bass and everything will sound tinny.

What you can do to solve the lack of bass management on the 5.1/7.1 analog inputs is buy a used Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 on eBay. You then plug your Surround Master into the Outlaw, and the Outlaw into the analog inputs. Then the Outlaw will do your bass management.

This is great information - thanks! :) I will remember this. I had heard that there are such units, but never ended up looking into them closer.

Back