disconnected the center channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huggy

hi some one posted an answer to my question but I for got what forum it was on. about yamaha rx 577 I asked how to turn off the center as I am just listening to DVD-a audio I did and it worked, so my question even though the yamaha 577

is 5.2 and with the center speaker set to none, will it still give me the true quad sound like back in the 70's and with it turned off or is it a fake quad. or true.

take care

huggy

Erm, check if it is rerouting the centre channel, and if so to front and rears or just front. On my (Yam) amp switching off the centre channel just switches it off, so that channel's info is lost. My old *player* would allow switching off the centre channel and I think it sent that info to the front pair.

What does fake quad mean in this context?

This was your original question: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?20723-yamaha-rx-577

mike what I meant fake quad is it true or synsisized, vurtal and ECT so what I meant was the settings you told me to set on my yamaha RXV 577 and using the dolby prologic II Music x would that give me the true Sq quad or like a synsized quad.

huggy

HMMMMMMM?

This is an interesting experiment.I to have a big YAMMY receiver.I think I would lose center by lessening the DB'S on the center channel.

But would very much like to try and "blend" center to front for a QUAD presentation , most notably for some 5.1 discs I have where the center is too loud, too dominate. Plus I don't have a sub.

All suggestions appreciated!

thankx

Yes, in standard set up you will probably lose the centre channel by playing with levels (or switching off) in the amp. Play around using a track with a very centre heavy vocal mix.

Yes, that's one thing I will have to try.

It's easy to disrupt my presets though and what a bugger it was to try and balance the speaker outputs to an acceptable surround.

If you play around too much with the settings.....it may take umpteen hours to get it back or even close.

thx derek

Hey Derek, does your Yam have a mic for auto setup? You can start from there, and I sometimes use a sound pressure measuring app on my phone to hopefully get a better tweak out of the system, that should sort you out for Dolby Digital & DTS, (I don't know about analogue, my Yam retains speaker distance and gain settings, but ignores EQ when I use analogue in.) Dolby PL II settings shouldn't interfere with your general amp set up.

I may of course be totally misunderstanding the issue, so please feel free to correct me!

I'm going to get a toggle switch (been meaning to grab one at my electronics store) and have it wired up (from the output on rear of amp) to shut off the center channel with a flip of the switch. Or course volume level should be way down or off when the switch is flipped. But I prefer to not mess with anything else when I want this chan muted.

I'm going to get a toggle switch (been meaning to grab one at my electronics store) and have it wired up (from the output on rear of amp) to shut off the center channel with a flip of the switch. Or course volume level should be way down or off when the switch is flipped. But I prefer to not mess with anything else when I want this chan muted.

A volume control device attached to the speaker wire sounds like exactly what I need.Have to check out what the local parts store has to offer.

That is not a good solution. You are losing information, not redistributing it. It doesn't take much to adjust the set-up in your player. If you're uncertain just google the model number and what you're trying to achieve. For some 5.1 mixes the vocals are mixed very strongly to the centre channel. If you just switch it off you could be left with a little vocal reverb in some/all of the remaining channels.

That is not a good solution. You are losing information, not redistributing it. It doesn't take much to adjust the set-up in your player. If you're uncertain just google the model number and what you're trying to achieve. For some 5.1 mixes the vocals are mixed very strongly to the centre channel. If you just switch it off you could be left with a little vocal reverb in some/all of the remaining channels.

In my case Mike, I just want to adjust the volume, not shut it off.Shutting it off would indeed deprive 5.1 info.

For me, listening to lots of quad - I want it off sometimes - I need the switch. Perfect solution for me.

Sometimes I even like the center channel missing in 5.1 programs. I've even listened to an entire album playing only rear channels - that's a fun ride sometimes as well.

If you're listening to quad it shouldn't be using the centre speaker anyway. If you're using DPL II to approximate quad then that has its own settings that won't (or shouldn't) apply to normal DD/DTS/analogue use, and that's where you can eliminate the centre channel (as I do). When switched out of DPL II the standard amp settings will/should resume.

So this is how it works for me: DPL II on, centre speaker off. Deselect DPL and go back to Straight, centre speaker comes back on. Think of it like auto gutter guards at the bowling alley.

I've pre-amped out the stereo pair (and I have a seperate LR out too) and I also enjoy listening to set speakers, particularly the front pair.

Join DateLevel

Achievements:
Post Thanks / Like*

*Re: disconnected the center channel

Hey Derek, does your Yam have a mic for auto setup?

Mike, what is "a mic" ??? for auto setup

Mike, what is "a mic" ??? for auto setup

This is what mine looks like:

(with a several feet of cable inbetween)

20150701_201451[1].jpg20150701_201353.jpg

Cool, have to check my yammy front panel.

I'm a dummy most likely, but gotta ask, how does it work, how does it operate, as I'm unawares?

Also did it come with your Yamaha?

And meant to bring my manual with me (I'm at my daughters), but my unit is an older Yamaha......built around 2000/2001?

At a guess mine is around 2005/6. I bought it new, and it did come with the microphone.

I generally put the mic close to listening position (either on the headrest where I sit, or on my head) and run auto setup from the menu - don't worry about this bit yet. It sends noise to each of the speakers and determines at this point it determines what is connected. There are also quick frequency sweeps sent from all speakers, and possibly another round of noise. Amongst all this it also works out the distance of the speakers from the mic, EQs speaker outputs where necessary, relative sound levels (generally pretty good, but I use a sound pressure level app on my phone to fine tune manually these days), and can even flag up phase issues.

As your model is quite a bit older, I don't know if it would have this facility. Can you post (or PM) the model number?

It's been a while (gotta be 6/7 years?) since I had a non-HDMI receiver handling all this surround stuff but I can't remember the last time shutting off the centre channel on one of them didn't correctly downmix any centre channel info into Front L&R.. is the 595a analogue in only?

It's been a while (gotta be 6/7 years?) since I had a non-HDMI receiver handling all this surround stuff but I can't remember the last time shutting off the centre channel on one of them didn't correctly downmix any centre channel info into Front L&R.. is the 595a analogue in only?

Answered my own question.. it's getting on a bit.. no HDMI as precedes it by some years.. thought that's not the only drawback, I would suggest.. feeling upgradeitis fizzywiggs41? :)

Back