Oppo bdp83 laser replacement

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OppoFood

My Oppo BDP83SE Nu Force stopped recognising sacd discs a few weeks ago, it also gave some but lesser problems with dvds.

I gave it a good clean to no avail so sent it for repair to a recognised repairer, he gave it a good clean and service but still could not solve the problem, then told me the laser units were no longer available from Oppo as it is a discontinued model.:(

Then found this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Laser-Lens-Replacement-For-OPPO-BDP-83-Blu-ray-Disc-Player-Laser-Head-Lasereinheit-BDP83/2054303242.html

Bought one, had it installed and all good now:banana:

Can't be 100% sure it's genuine but the repairer said it looked genuine.

My man went to Oppo but was told no lasers available.

To be honest I searched for other occurrences of this fault online but could not find anyone who has suffered it or needed a new laser for any reason. I figure that was both good and bad news, good because it implies reliability, bad because I had to find an alternative plan and therefore was trusting the unit was genuine or as genuine as it could be.

In the end I figured I was just unlucky that mine failed.

These lasers will be universal to the 83 range, I also found other Oppo lasers and other brands as well.

As to whether they are genuine it has to be remembered that Oppo machines are made in China, also for $30 was well worth the chance.

I'm even thinking of getting a second one just in case. If it fails again it will probably be upgrade time anyway but without a laser it will be worthless secondhand.

I might have to get a spare for my 83SE too....

Nah - if it dies I'll buy a 105D.... :couch

SHHHHHHH... Don't tell my lovely wife...

A coule of months ago my oppo 83 also had issues with picking up sacd, in particular hybrids. Would only pickup the cd part. Sent my info to oppo and they gave instuctions on how to clean the unit. When that did not work, they offered a out of warranty package that was I think 85 or 90 us which covered anything that needed to be replaced and included labor. Just had to mail it to them. They took care of the return postage. They replaced the laser, and now everything is fine.

My Oppo BDP83SE Nu Force stopped recognising sacd discs a few weeks ago, it also gave some but lesser problems with dvds.

I gave it a good clean to no avail so sent it for repair to a recognised repairer, he gave it a good clean and service but still could not solve the problem, then told me the laser units were no longer available from Oppo as it is a discontinued model.:(

Then found this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...Laser-Head-Lasereinheit-BDP83/2054303242.html

Bought one, had it installed and all good now:banana:

Can't be 100% sure it's genuine but the repairer said it looked genuine.

Today,

An Oppo bdp-83 stopped reading discs, it thinks about it for a second and then just says no disc. i was able to easily remove the top outer casing, but can anyone walk me through the next steps to try to clean the laser. I only see 2 silver screws looking down on the unit but cant see how to get into it to get to the laser
Thanks

Today,

An Oppo bdp-83 stopped reading discs, it thinks about it for a second and then just says no disc. i was able to easily remove the top outer casing, but can anyone walk me through the next steps to try to clean the laser. I only see 2 silver screws looking down on the unit but cant see how to get into it to get to the laser
Thanks
Probably not specific for the Oppo, but there are videos in YouTube about that.

Today,

Thanks

Why not send it back to Oppo - they will still work on Snood 980s - don't see a reason why they wont fix a 83 - email them in the fix page or just email them.......

My price on a 980 was 53 bux and shipping to them. :giggle:

email them tomorrow :LB

Why not send it back to Oppo - they will still work on Snood 980s - don't see a reason why they wont fix a 83 - email them in the fix page or just email them.......

My price on a 980 was 53 bux and shipping to them. :giggle:

email them tomorrow :LB

How long ago did they work on your 980?...was it before they went out of business?...I know they used to fix the older units...the 83 came out 10 years ago...just saying...I know they are honoring the warranty on the last production run of 203 and 205's...not sure they are still doing the non warranty service anymore...

LIke 3 or 4 months ago i contacted them and they gave me the info- the 980 came out before the 83 - it is only a dvd sacd dvda player...........they are still working on older units - contact them Tuesday

here is the email they sent me - click on the link too to see the order doooooo it ........

Hi Snood,

We are still repairing the DV-980H.

An Out of Warranty Repair for the DV-980H will cost $52.00 plus shipping to us. This fee will cover all parts, labor, and return shipping to North American addresses. You can purchase an Out of Warranty Repair Service at: https://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RSDV980H

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]

LIke 3 or 4 months ago i contacted them and they gave me the info- the 980 came out before the 83 - it is only a dvd sacd dvda player...........they are still working on older units - contact them Tuesday

here is the email they sent me - click on the link too to see the order doooooo it ........

Hi Snood,

We are still repairing the DV-980H.

An Out of Warranty Repair for the DV-980H will cost $52.00 plus shipping to us. This fee will cover all parts, labor, and return shipping to North American addresses. You can purchase an Out of Warranty Repair Service at: https://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RSDV980H

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]

Wow...that's impressive (y)

Oppo service told me how to access the laser, I will give it a go and see if I can do a quick fix. InAustralia do not sure if I could get a service.

Sadly no quick fix but oppo will service it for $100, just trying to see if I can get it looked at in Sydney Australia if anyone has any suggestions

Sadly no quick fix but oppo will service it for $100, just trying to see if I can get it looked at in Sydney Australia if anyone has any suggestions
A guy on SHF forums shows step-by-step with clear pictures how to replace the laser assembly on an Oppo BDP-83SE. He bought a KES-410A complete laser transport off of eBay for about 8 dollars (probably the same used in the regular 83, but you can look at the laser model number when you open up your player for cleaning.)

Laser assembly replacement

Here is a link to a BDP-83 laser assembly on eBay. They have optical assemblys for many other players too.

eBay Link

I have purchased lasers for each of my Oppos from Liberty Electronics on eBay and they are reputable. You can "Make an Offer" and knock off a few bucks too. At some point Oppo service will not be an option. I figure that's exactly when I will need it.

I bought a lens cleaner kit but when i load any disc, it thinks about it for half a second while making a few loading sounds but then doesnt recognise them, so it wont even load the cleaner disc to play it to do the clean.

Im not remotely technical and fear causing extra damage. It may be easier to arrange a return for service with oppo as a local repair guy is charging me $80 just to look at it :(

Anyway, first world problems...

Back