DIY 8 channel tape recorders from 80th!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganzha

I did several DIY projects between 1979 - and 1986 in Ussr
I asembled 1 tape recorder with 8 channels rec - play with speed 9 sm/sec and use half inch tape from Reel-to reel computers storage.
Then I have got a tape mashine with 78 cm/sec speed and assembled the second 8 channel tape recorder, then i have got Reel to real video tape recorder with speed 4 sm/sec.... old_studio2.jpg
old_studio1.jpg
old_studio3.jpg

When i was DJ in 80th I assembled matrix Quadro decoder and used it for club disco performances. That gave me advantage above others DJ. The sound from matrix which goes to 4 Amp and 4 Speakers was incredebly great. Quasy Quadro was better than ordinary Stereo!
2013-01-01_010552.jpg

Great stuff!
Have you tried to rebuild the decoder?
Would a 741 be ok for the op-amp?
Regards
Hi! Thanks!
Yes I am going to rebuild the ABC Decoder, it is pterry simple and yes 741 is very good for that work! I am going to buy Head for Quad 8 track magnet tape to build a simple Quad recorder for 8 track cartriges, i have some people who offer me a bunch of * track blank per $1 each.

video with sound made from my DIY 8 channel tape

https://youtu.be/DX3Z6c_99YQ

There are some of my * channels tape recorder in first one is a 10 channel sound mixer on board8 channel_01.jpg

8_ch.jpg

The second has a great studio 78 sm/sec speed and bulded in 10 channel sound mixer also
8 channel _02.jpg

8ch_78.jpg

My very first 8 hannel DIY Reel to Reel recorder includes 1 Tape head with 9 channels Rec-play from IBM strimmer and 10 channel sound mixer with Volume and Pan for each channel. I was able to rec only one channel but i was able to listening all other channels and input sourse and record back paying channels simultansiosly. I used video tape from video Reel to Reel recorders 1/2 inch.
Erase Head was from Video recorder but I was able to erase each channel using rec-play head to overloading hi-freq tone (100 khz).

Now I am going to build 8 track Quad recorder with speed 10 sm/sek and rec 4 (QUAD) channel to relices my old synth music
I rebuild my old scool analog only synths in Germany and I like to rec them into 4 channels.
https://youtu.be/dOMEURJEXdQ

Last edited:
In August of 1989 i was participant of Central Asia Music Festival Altyn Alma (Golden Apple) where my home studio had veen visited first producer of Pink Floyd Peter Janner and general manager of Recordng company Joe Boyd (now he is cinema producer). They made a lot of pics aboutn my 8 channels DIY tapes and my DIY sound studio.
I gave them some of my tape with my sound compoosing (Sound paintings)DSC05796.jpg
DSC05797.jpg

Back