Jeff Beck Group & Birds of Fire - Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACDs (August 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Updated: July 8, 2015
================
Today's update is that Jeff Beck Group - and Birds of Fire from the Mahavishnu Orchestra - will be the next two 4.0 Multichannel SACDs from Audio Fidelity. Like the others in the 4.0 Quad series, these are being created from the Original Analog Master Tapes, in this case from the team at Sony Music. I'm looking forward to these two on August 21st!

Birds of Fire and Jeff Beck Group.jpg

Jeff Beck Group
============
Now that the Best of the Doors Multichannel SACD from Audio Fidelity is released, I can confirm that the next Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD release will be Jeff Beck Group.

This is another 4.0 Quad Surround Sound recording from the Sony Music vaults coming to Multichannel SACD. It's a classic album, sometimes called "the Orange Album" for the Orange on the cover art, it features guitarist Jeff Beck, the second incarnation of The Jeff Beck Group and production by Steve Cropper of Booker T & the MG's fame. Another Multichannel SACD to put on your list! :)

Scheduled for release on August 21st, it's already available for pre-order via Amazon. I'm sure the other web sites that carry SACDs will have it up for pre-order shortly.

Jeff Beck Group - AF SACD.jpg

The Jeff Beck Group - Coming to Multichannel SACD on Audio Fidelity
http://www.amazon.com/Jeff-Beck-Group/dp/B00ZWJ5AOU/

Thanks, Brian, for confirming that this upcoming SACD will indeed have the Quad mix on it!

I felt good about this one as soon as I saw it listed on amazon yesterday since Sony (and WB) have been excellent about licensing quality Quad mixes to AF for reissue, with tapes usually kept in the wonderful shape needed for SACD remastering.

I need to play catch up with a few of these recently released Quad SACDs (particularly "Streetlife Serenade" which I still have yet to purchase) but I'll definitely consider purchasing this one when the time comes too! :)

I wanted to wait until Audio Fidelity gave me the green light before confirming it.

Yes, Sony Music (and Warner Music) has been very good about finding and licensing Surround Sound titles to Audio Fidelity for reissue on Multichannel SACD. And that continues with Jeff Beck Group, a classic album with Jeff Beck and production by Steve Cropper. It will be a good one.

Very nice - I will be buying this as well. I can only imagine what they try to do with Beck's guitar wizardry. Front, rear? Who knows?? :)

This particular album was released in 1972, and is the fourth studio album by The Jeff Beck Group and the second album with the line up of Jeff Beck, Bobby Tench, Clive Chaman, Max Middleton and Cozy Powell. Cozy Powell is a fantastic drummer.

According to WIKI, track listing as follows:

TRACK LISTING...

Side One
"Ice Cream Cakes" (Beck) – 5:40
"Glad All Over" (Aaron Schroeder, Sid Tepper, Roy Bennett) – 2:58
"Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You" (Bob Dylan) – 4:59
"Sugar Cane" (Beck, Steve Cropper) – 4:07
"I Can't Give Back the Love I Feel For You" (Valerie Simpson, Nickolas Ashford, Brian Holland) – 2:42

Side Two
"Going Down" (Don Nix) – 6:51
"I Got to Have a Song" (Stevie Wonder, Don Hunter, Lula Mae Hardaway, Paul Riser) – 3:26
"Highways" (Beck) – 4:41
"Definitely Maybe" (Beck) – 5:02

Though, you never quite know when you get the Quad version...right?

Seems unlikely this would come out on July 24th, because that is the new release date for the next two stereo releases.

Seems unlikely this would come out on July 24th, because that is the new release date for the next two stereo releases.

Audio Fidelity says July 24th for this one and the Joe Walsh Stereo SACD. Time will tell.

This particular album was released in 1972, and is the fourth studio album by The Jeff Beck Group and the second album with the line up of Jeff Beck, Bobby Tench, Clive Chaman, Max Middleton and Cozy Powell. Cozy Powell is a fantastic drummer.

Check the MP3 sound samples on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Jeff-Beck-Group/dp/B00138H6AA

QQ fans asked for more rock and more Jeff Beck in Multichannel SACD and your wish is granted! :)

Ahhhhhhhhh Super Nice - Snood preordered - Awesome :banana:

Thank You Bmoura

This mix is one that will make quad fans happy, and those who like their music in front of them, well, not pleased.

As with most Columbia quads, these are REAL QUAD, voices in the fronts, solo instruments in the backs. You will be in the middle of the players when you listen to this one. While there are no "hits" per se (no, "Glad All Over" is not the Dave Clark Five tune :) ), there are some tunes on this one that play well to the ear.

Another good sign that AF is doing its best to get into the Columbia vaults and dig out the titles that it can get from the archives that are still available and others have not already licensed in stereo.

And again, retire your Q8s and SQs to eBay or the deep storage closet. This will be the definitive release of this title, in stereo AND quad! (y)

This mix is one that will make quad fans happy, and those who like their music in front of them, well, not pleased.

As with most Columbia quads, these are REAL QUAD, voices in the fronts, solo instruments in the backs. You will be in the middle of the players when you listen to this one. While there are no "hits" per se (no, "Glad All Over" is not the Dave Clark Five tune :) ), there are some tunes on this one that play well to the ear.

Another good sign that AF is doing its best to get into the Columbia vaults and dig out the titles that it can get from the archives that are still available and others have not already licensed in stereo.

And again, retire your Q8s and SQs to eBay or the deep storage closet.

Cool! I like the way traditional QUAD sounds. I mean, we have lots of typical 5.1 music available.....these older Quads are very cool as well. I like them!

The QQ Mods just posted this on their FB page:

"Wait! We have one more extra special announcement today.
Audio Fidelity will also release the classic Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire on SACD! We'll get the classic quadraphonic mix in the highest resolution commercially available as well as stereo mix on SACD & CD layers. Great for us, these guys are on a roll!"
:D

https://www.facebook.com/QuadraphonicQuad?fref=nf

Any pre-orders for this one yet? Personally it's a must have!

Not that I know of. It's certainly not listed on amazon yet. (Jeff Beck Group is however)
I'm sure Brian (or Jon) will come along at some point on here with more details (and a release date), but the news on this is definitely a QQ (Facebook) exclusive for right now! :)

Back