How Do Moody Blues Quads on SACD Rank?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not even aware of a DSD format DAW that exists.

Well, there are DSD format DAWs - including the Sony Sonoma Workstation (DSD 64 capable) and the Merging Technologies Pyramix Workstation + Horus Converter (DSD 64, 128 and 256 capable).

Dynaquad was originally diamond configuration.And I do believe DY-4D albums utilized this mix, early on.

I also think some uhj/hj discs may have diamond presentation (albeit 4-6 ch).

I have all the SACD'S by MOODY BLUES.And compared to what I used to have by them in quad (Q8), they are miles superior in sound.
I highly recommend all for the quad and the clarity.

Patiently awaiting the release of HAYWARD/LODGE -BLUEJAYS in quad.....SACD.

Diamond/4Square
If you have time, just switch two speakers at least. For instance make FR the RR and RR the FR. On some things it creates a new sound area and the obligatory swirl around each speaker in the room sound sounds less cheesy. Of course on things like Zappa's 50 -50 in rearranges the musicians and little else.
But where there is a front and back to the sound, vocals in front and instruments in back, the effect is sometimes striking.

I love them. For a band that uses acoustic instruments as a major component of their sound, the clarity and presence is wonderful. The only issue I have is that (my favourite) "Long Distance Voyager" wasn't given the same treatment!!

I'm not jsayers, but I'll give you my list right now:

1) "To Our Children's Children's Children"
2) "Days Of Future Passed"
3) "A Question of Balance"
4) "Seventh Sojourn"
5) "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour"
6) "On the Threshold of a Dream"
7) "In Search of the Lost Chord" (since it's stereo only)

Hope that helps! :)
Just discovered that my Sony BDP-S6200 plays SACD! Just purchased "On The Threshold Of A Dream" and can't wait to have a listen. =)

Somewhat compressed to my ears. Had the Quad reel to reels transferred to discs and really like them.

I'm not jsayers, but I'll give you my list right now:

1) "To Our Children's Children's Children"
2) "Days Of Future Passed"
3) "A Question of Balance"
4) "Seventh Sojourn"
5) "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour"
6) "On the Threshold of a Dream"
7) "In Search of the Lost Chord" (since it's stereo only)

Hope that helps! :)
I did see this. Dated 2018.

Attachments

• IMG_4923.jpeg
    IMG_4923.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
I replaced all my SACD rips with with Q4 versions on my listening hard drive as I did not like the lowered rear channels on the SACD's. I still have the SACD's and rips just not in the path that JRiver looks at when listening to music. To bad we never had a reel of In Search Of The Lost Chord.

Talkin' about going back....
The original MB's SACD's (essentially Quad) I don't remember the exact date they came out but I bought them all.
One being stereo only was a bummer, but so it goes. Later rectified with a DVD release in 5.1 I believe? Coulda been an upmix? IDK.
Love them all but OTTOAD & AQOB will always be my favorites. Pivotal time in my life as I gained a new appreciation for those especially after coming home "to the world" as we used to say, and hearing again.

Back