Sony Music Quad Titles You'd Recommend for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
They've got to get the rest of the Bob Dylan and Miles Davis catalog out first before they move on to anything else (even though most of the titles have already been on SACD in the past).

True.. where are they at with the Chicago SACDs?

Pisses me right off Desire's been on SACD twice now without the Quad mix.. maybe AF can get their hands on it and 3rd time's the charm..!!?! :D

True.. where are they at with the Chicago SACDs?

Pisses me right off Desire's been on SACD twice now without the Quad mix.. maybe AF can get their hands on it and 3rd time's the charm..!!?! :D

Desire is one that would sell well I would think, one I wished I'd got on SQ vinyl years back (I feel another search on Discogs coming on!). Maybe they never found the Quad master tape?

Desire is one that would sell well I would think, one I wished I'd got on SQ vinyl years back (I feel another search on Discogs coming on!). Maybe they never found the Quad master tape?

Doubt it Duncan, the Sony archives seem to be better curated than most.. I'll bet they have all the Dylan Quad masters in their archive, no sweat, plus other Quad & 5.1 stuff we here can only dream about...

Let's take a look at the scoreboard thus far of Quads released thus far by AF:

Sony-owned Quads: 7 (includes Jeff Beck and MO)
Warner-owned Quads: 2
Universal-owned Quads: 0

And Multichannel SACDs total:
Sony: 9 (the 2 additional Al Kooper 5.1 mixes)
Warner: 5 (Breezin, Winelight, Homecoming added)
Universal: 0

(Five, Six, Seven, Eight! Who do we appreciate? It's SONY! Yeah, yeah, it's Sony!)
(But we love Warner Music too) ;)

Very true. Sony Music has been a Star when it comes to the Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD series.
They have licensed popular rock and pop titles to Audio Fidelity - and delivered Stereo and Multichannel master tapes in excellent condition - in some cases all the way back to the 1970's.

Good job, Sony Music !

Doubt it Duncan, the Sony archives seem to be better curated than most.. I'll bet they have all the Dylan Quad masters in their archive, no sweat, plus other Quad & 5.1 stuff we here can only dream about...

Well Adam lets be British and start a petition for the release of all Quad recordings from Sony/CBS/Columbia! :ugham: :music

There have been some recent messages noting the number of Quad albums from the '70s that have been licensed by Sony Music to Audio Fidelity for release on Multichannel SACD. This includes albums on the Columbia and RCA labels.
While we won't see all of these '70s Quad recordings on Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD, it is a very interesting source of potential releases.

As a resource, you can check Mark Anderson's excellent web site where he has listed the '70s Quad releases using Larry Clifton's Quad Incorporated catalog as the starting point.
There are some excellent possibilities there. No question.

The catalog web site is at http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm
Mark also has a forum here on QQ worth checking out at https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-Anderson-s-Quad-Discography-Discussion-Forum

So the question is, if you were combing through the Sony Music catalog of '70s Quad titles, which ones would you recommend for Multichannel SACD release?

Recommendations for multichannel release (not sure if they are Sony... got them from the above link!)
Jeff Beck - Wired
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties / Tyranny and Mutation
Chicago - Any of them!
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Gold
Deep Purple - Anthology
The Doobie Brothers - Toulouse St
The Eagles - On the Border/ One of These Nights
Grand Funk Railroad - We're An American Band
Humble Pie - Smokin'
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
Steve Miller Band - The Joker
Mountain - Any except Flowers of Evil
Ted Nugent - Free for All
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Santana - Anything!
Paul Simon +/- Garfunkel- Anything!
Steely Dan- Cant Buy A Thrill/ Pretzel Logic/ Countdown To Ecstasy
The Ventures - Only Hits
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

Recommendations for multichannel release (not sure if they are Sony... got them from the above link!)

I see some Sony Music titles (Columbia, Epic, RCA Records) in there:
  • Jeff Beck - Wired
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties / Tyranny and Mutation
  • Chicago - Any of them!
  • Mountain - Any except Flowers of Evil
  • Ted Nugent - Free for All
  • Santana - Anything!
  • Paul Simon +/- Garfunkel- Anything!
Wired is coming out on Hybrid Stereo SACD from Analogue Productions. So that is out.

Mobile Fidelity has released Chicago - CTA and Chicago VI on Hybrid SACD.
But some of the other Chicago albums are definitely possibilities I'd think.

Ditto on Santana. Santana and Abraxas have been licensed by Mobile Fidelity.
But there are a number of others that could be done.

Jeff Beck - Wired
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties / Tyranny and Mutation
Chicago - Any of them!
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Gold
Deep Purple - Anthology
The Doobie Brothers - Toulouse St
The Eagles - On the Border/ One of These Nights
Grand Funk Railroad - We're An American Band
Humble Pie - Smokin'
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
Steve Miller Band - The Joker
Mountain - Any except Flowers of Evil
Ted Nugent - Free for All
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Santana - Anything!
Paul Simon +/- Garfunkel- Anything!
Steely Dan- Cant Buy A Thrill/ Pretzel Logic/ Countdown To Ecstasy
The Ventures - Only Hits
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

I'd buy the lot! High on the list though would be The Eagles, Steely Dan, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd and Humble Pie's Smokin' an album I can play anytime.

I see some Sony Music titles (Columbia, Epic, RCA Records) in there:
  • Jeff Beck - Wired
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties / Tyranny and Mutation
  • Chicago - Any of them!
  • Mountain - Any except Flowers of Evil
  • Ted Nugent - Free for All
  • Santana - Anything!
  • Paul Simon +/- Garfunkel- Anything!
Wired is coming out on Hybrid Stereo SACD from Analogue Productions. So that is out.

Mobile Fidelity has released Chicago - CTA and Chicago VI on Hybrid SACD.
But some of the other Chicago albums are definitely possibilities I'd think.

Ditto on Santana. Santana and Abraxas have been licensed by Mobile Fidelity.
But there are a number of others that could be done.

Perfect. I'll take 2 of each.

I'd buy the lot! High on the list though would be The Eagles, Steely Dan, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd and Humble Pie's Smokin' an album I can play anytime.

Well, The Eagles, Steely Dan, Humble Pie and Atom Heart Mother aren't on Sony Music. So they are longer shots that the ones from the Sony catalog.

Santana!!!!
You can skip Greatest Hits since it's not offering anything different from the LP versions, and - unless they screwed up something very badly in mastering stage - leave off Amigos and Festival since their quad mix is a true shame - and do all the others, including a discrete Lotus.
I know there are contrasting opinion about the extremeness of the Abraxas quad mix, however it is what it is and i can do a upgrade of my dts cd.
If meanwhile they find out a serious and unreleased quad mix for Amigos and Festival i'm all ears! I do love these two albums and you have no idea how bad it was the first time i listened the Festival Q8, which is a very HTF tape.

Santana!!!!
You can skip Greatest Hits since it's not offering anything different from the LP versions, and - unless they screwed up something very badly in mastering stage - leave off Amigos and Festival since their quad mix is a true shame - and do all the others, including a discrete Lotus.

I know there are contrasting opinion about the extremeness of the Abraxas quad mix, however it is what it is and i can do a upgrade of my dts cd.

If meanwhile they find out a serious and unreleased quad mix for Amigos and Festival i'm all ears! I do love these two albums and you have no idea how bad it was the first time i listened the Festival Q8, which is a very HTF tape.

Abraxas is coming out on Mobile Fidelity Hybrid Stereo SACD. So that one is out.
But there are quite a few others from Santana that could be looked into.

Abraxas is coming out on Mobile Fidelity Hybrid Stereo SACD. So that one is out.
Santana would be a great option since they have a new album coming out (Santana IV) with the classic lineup (Neil Schon, Gregg Rolie)!

SONY/Columbia I would suggest are as follows:

Sly & Family Stone - HITS
Joplin - PEARL
Ten Years After - A Space in Time (Fixed by SH)
Wendy Carlos - Switched on Bach
BS&T - GH
Garfunkel - Breakaway
Edgar Winter - They Only Come out at Night
Mountain - Best of
Loggins & Messina (First)
EW&F - That's the Way of the World
Billy Joel - Piano Man/Turnstiles (Not happening due to others getting them first - DRAT!)
David Essex - Rock On (The title track is a quad show piece and is worth the cost of the disc on its own)
Aerosmith - All 3 (But they may not be Columbia anymore)
Bob Dylan - Desire
Janis Ian - Aftertones
Burton Cummings - Stand Tall (One hit, should be an easy title to get but how much would it sell? Probably not much)

and here's an odd choice that would really break the mold:

How about those classical Greatest Hits Quads? Were they any good? I don't recall. But they do have a lot of familiar classical tunes for those that are not big classical people:

Bach Greatest Hits
Tchaikovsky Hits
Beethoven Hits
Mozart Hits
Chopin HIts
Strauss Hits

Chicago's and Paul Simons are now WB

If they actually release Abraxas I will be all over that one...some great songs on it...but with MoFi I'm not optimistic...some of these titles have been in the works for well over a year and haven't surfaced..

Back