Bjorn Lynne, Norwegian composer, releases for free some 5.1 surround songs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnash53

If any of you recall the video game "Worms," you have heard of Bjorn Lynne's music. He made a name for himself by writing the musical scores of numerous video games.

http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html

On that page you can download several 5.1 tracks. Starfield, Secret World, & Voyager are all great tracks.

Enjoy... and report back what you think and heard!!

I highly recommend you guys check those out. Lynne's music is great, and these free downloads are no-brainers. When I first listened to them, they immediately convinced me to buy his "Soothe" DVD (which he also sells as a download).

Even if you don't buy the DVD, you're getting over 60 minutes of well-mixed, melodic and beautiful chillout music here.

Note that the "Voyager" link from the page above is dead. You can still find it, along with another extra track. I wrote some more about this back in 2014: clicky! :)

Thanks for reminding us of these little gems, hnash53!

Hey Bright Side... thanks for the response to Bjorn Lynne... few and far between seem to be his followers!

I'm new to quad and have a few questions for you, if you have the time. I've been using a very nice Sanyo DCX3300KA for about a year and like it... but it's 40 years old. I love it's sound and had a tech check out the caps in it and was told it was all good... even though they removed none of the caps. They told me that they checked them while still mounted to the boards... but I read that that doesn't really work. What do you think about that?

I bought an Involve Audio Surround Master... and it's OK but not yet worth the $395 I paid. I don't know if I'll keep it. It did work better for movie surround... but music-wise, I don't think it's much better than the Sanyo's sound. I bought a Kenwood AV receiver to use the Surround Master with... sure doesn't look nearly as good as the vintage Sanyo. Do you have any experience with the Surround Master?

Thanks for any comments.

Hey Bright Side... thanks for the response to Bjorn Lynne... few and far between seem to be his followers!

I'm new to quad and have a few questions for you, if you have the time. I've been using a very nice Sanyo DCX3300KA for about a year and like it... but it's 40 years old. I love it's sound and had a tech check out the caps in it and was told it was all good... even though they removed none of the caps. They told me that they checked them while still mounted to the boards... but I read that that doesn't really work. What do you think about that?

I bought an Involve Audio Surround Master... and it's OK but not yet worth the $395 I paid. I don't know if I'll keep it. It did work better for movie surround... but music-wise, I don't think it's much better than the Sanyo's sound. I bought a Kenwood AV receiver to use the Surround Master with... sure doesn't look nearly as good as the vintage Sanyo. Do you have any experience with the Surround Master?

Thanks for any comments.

Why don't you PM Chucky HERE about your surround master...there might be a problem with it...

My pleasure! :) I'm not the right guy to address with hardware questions like these - I have no idea! o_O But this sounds like something a lot of members here can easily answer. Perhaps consider a dedicated thread in the appropriate hardware discussion forum.

Welcome to the community - it's great to have you, and I'm excited that the first interaction we have comes from you sharing with us! :) You'll love it here. Great place, I log in every day.

Thanks for any comments.

Just listening to these tracks again, and felt like bumping this thread for those who missed it the first time around.

This is over an hour of really great music, it sounds so good you won't believe it's DD, and it's free. Real no-brainer! Go get yours today. :)

(Oh, and I think his DVD "Soothe" is still available to download, too, for a few bucks).

Just listening to these tracks again, and felt like bumping this thread for those who missed it the first time around.

This is over an hour of really great music, it sounds so good you won't believe it's DD, and it's free. Real no-brainer! Go get yours today. :)

(Oh, and I think his DVD "Soothe" is still available to download, too, for a few bucks).

Cool. I downloaded them all. I tried to open them in Foobar, but only the .WMA file will even load. Others will not. Not sure why...

VLC plays the AC3 files for sure. Otherwise, you can use MKVtoolnix to stick the AC3s into MKA containers, then Foobar should play them too, I expect.

EDIT: oh, and in VLC, you need to go to Tools => Preferences => Show Settings / All (in the bottom left corner) => Input/Codecs => Audio Codecs => Disable "A/52 dynamic range compression". In "DCA" right below it, you can go ahead and disable DTS dynamic range compression as well.

That dynamic range compression is made for movies to make dialogue as loud as explosions. When playing back music in DD or DTS, it makes everything sound wonky and weird. Took me months of wondering why my DD albums sounded so weird before I figured that one out.

His album called "Beneath Another Sky" is a super album imho. Also, "Colony" is good, especially the first cut.. Messages.

Bjorn Lynne is quite prolific... his work is worth a listen.

Glad you revived this thread.

Back