Frank Filipetti 2010 interview about surround and DVD-A/SACD failure in the market

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I would guess this has been posted before, but I found it again today and figured just in case it hasn't, it's a very good interview with a surround sound engineer. Check it out and comment if you like:

http://www.audyssey.com/blog/grammy-winning-producer-frank-filipetti-audyssey-part-2

PS: Please spare us the comments regarding the many SACDs and DVD-A's that come out even to this day. We know we love them and cherish them but really, we're their market. We already know.

:nuke

2010, well that was a time when things were looking bleak.

But of course not now! Plenty of SACD, DVDA and Bluray multichannel with more coming.

I thought he also worked on some DTS CD in it's time?

Interesting article. He's mentioned three things that I love about 4.0/5.1,
"I think surround is the most exciting way to mix. There’s a remarkable increase in listener participation that simply isn’t there in stereo. A great surround record is truly an all-encompassing experience. It allows you to lose yourself in the sound."
"Surround sound encourages listening as an activity in and of itself"
"Surround sound contributes a new palate for our senses"
And also mentions sadly why people don't really listen to music anymore, they're too busy.

It got me thinking. I'm lucky enough to work from home a few days a week, and in general I listen to stereo & surround whilst working :music, it infuses and isolates me from everything else, so I work in a kind of musical isolation chamber :yikes. In general the part of my brain that I use as an engineer thinks separately (I visualise the problem/solution) from the listener of music part (auditory). But if I'm designing something that really needs me to think deeply about how it works I either put the radio on in the background and bizarrely ignore it, or work in silence depending on the complexity of the problem I'm trying to solve as I have to use both parts visual and auditory to do that - as I often need to read chip datasheets etc. The brain is a strange thing :mad:@:

2010, well that was a time when things were looking bleak.

But of course not now! Plenty of SACD, DVDA and Bluray multichannel with more coming.

I thought he also worked on some DTS CD in it's time?

These spring to mind (I think Five For Fighting is only partially his work?)

Hourglass - James Taylor,
America Town - Five For Fighting,
The Stranger - Billy Joel,
52nd Street - Billy Joel

These spring to mind (I think Five For Fighting is only partially his work?)

Hourglass - James Taylor,
America Town - Five For Fighting,
The Stranger - Billy Joel,
52nd Street - Billy Joel

He also did the 5.1 remix of No Secrets by Carly Simon on the Sony Sonoma DSD Workstation that was released on DVD Audio.

What is slightly gutting is the mention of a Piano Man deluxe with DVD which clearly didn't make it to market.

Well having read the thread I've just discovered that he did 3 that I have, and I didn't realise/forgotten who had mixed them, very un-nerdy of me! :confused:

Billy Joel - The Stranger (5.1 SACD)
Carly Simon - No Secrets (5.1 DVD-Audio)
James Taylor - Hourglass (5.1 SACD)

Back