Audio Fidelity Stereo SACD: Joe Cocker's With a Little Help from My Friends

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no clue that the quad master for JC was missing. Agree 101% with you, Jon. Just wonder if they did a lookup on the UK vaults, since JC was a UK artist.

They did look in the UK.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNVXFKW?

The Doors
"The Best Of The Doors" (1973)
Hybrid SACD 4.0 Quad

AFZ5 206 - SRP $29.99

View attachment 18163

"One of the 100 greatest artists of all time!" - Rolling Stone Magazine

The Best Of The Doors was released by the group in 1973. The album was originally released in the CD-4 QuadraDisc format, Quadraphonic 8-Track and reel-to-reel tape and was later reissued in standard stereo. This is the first time in 40 years the Quad masters are being released. The stereo songs in The Best Of The Doors have been taken from the original two-track masters of the eight albums they recorded between 1967 and 1971. Three of the band's studio albums, "The Doors" (1967), "L.A. Woman" (1971), and "Strange Days" (1967), were featured in the Rolling Stone list of The 500 Greatest Albums of all time.

:banana:

Any idea where the best place to pre-order for UK delivery is yet, Adam?

Do you suppose they couldn't find Joe Cocker's Quad tape because there never really was one? I mean in all seriousness, the Quad mix sounds incredibly derived.... like, from a stereo source with a ton of echo on the rears. Nothing that goes on in the fronts isn't also sounding out of the rears. Also, during "With a little help..." there seems to be some serious artifacting and/or clipping of the female vocalists in the rears. Also, those same lead singers are split wide in the fronts but are dead center in the back.... sort of what old school Dolby Pro Logic did. To my ears, it sounds like the straight stereo track in the front while the rears have been passed through some kind of decoder. Add a ton of echo and twiddle some EQ knobs and there's your Quad mix. I swear I also hear turntable rumble and clicks & pops during the silence between some songs.

Just my 2 cents...

Do you suppose they couldn't find Joe Cocker's Quad tape because there never really was one? I mean in all seriousness, the Quad mix sounds incredibly derived.... like, from a stereo source with a ton of echo on the rears. Nothing that goes on in the fronts isn't also sounding out of the rears. Also, during "With a little help..." there seems to be some serious artifacting and/or clipping of the female vocalists in the rears. Also, those same lead singers are split wide in the fronts but are dead center in the back.... sort of what old school Dolby Pro Logic did. To my ears, it sounds like the straight stereo track in the front while the rears have been passed through some kind of decoder. Add a ton of echo and twiddle some EQ knobs and there's your Quad mix. I swear I also hear turntable rumble and clicks & pops during the silence between some songs.

Just my 2 cents...

Since there was a Quad 8 Track Tape release of the Joe Cocker album, there was a Quad Master Tape made. Whether the sound quality and quality of the Quad mix was sufficient to warrant a reissue in Multichannel SACD is another question altogether. That is one reason that just finding the Quad Master Tape can be the beginning of the journey in terms of a release - or not.

And still shows June 2nd for Cocker. One of the dates must be wrong since they usually release two at the same time. Or maybe there's a 3rd title involved? That could be interesting.

And still shows June 2nd for Cocker. One of the dates must be wrong since they usually release two at the same time. Or maybe there's a 3rd title involved? That could be interesting.

I think they are going to release each title when they are ready, and not worry about matching release dates for both of them.

Since the June Multichannel SACDs are coming from two different record companies (Warner and Universal), it wouldn't be surprising if they arrive on different timelines. Even though the goal is to have them arrive at the same time.
As for a "3rd title", there are more Multichannel SACDs in the pipeline - but not for June, they will come later on.

With a Little Help from My Friends by Joe Cocker is now available on Hybrid Stereo SACD from Audio Fidelity.

Anyone have this and can comment? I have bought a slew of the AF stereo only SACDs and may want to add this to the shelf. Thanks.

I have the Joe Cocker disc...this isn't a "demo" disc by any means...it sounds dated and with the nature of Joe's "raspy" voice at times it can sound pretty congested...but other times it's very good...it's a mixed bag...I don't have any of Joe's work to compare it to directly...but songs like don't let me be misunderstood sound very good...I think Kevin Gray did his absolute best to keep the original analog sound intact...you can hear some faint "hiss" at times...which I actually like to hear on vintage recordings..if I were voting on a poll this would either be a strong 7 or weak 8...and for me anywhere from 7 to 10 is a disc worth buying...I think... given the source and date of the original material....this is probably as good as it gets for this release

Back