Audio Fidelity Stereo SACD: Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming from Audio Fidelity in Hybrid Stereo SACD. This is a follow-up to the Vinyl LP edition of the album on Audio Fidelity, already available.

Interesting to see them dip into New Age for the first time.
Can't say I've heard any of his music so I'm cautiously looking forward to this.
What was the SQ typically like on those Windham Hill recordings?

Interesting to see them dip into New Age for the first time.
Can't say I've heard any of his music so I'm cautiously looking forward to this.
What was the SQ typically like on those Windham Hill recordings?

While "New Age" music is the default genre for contemporary instrumental music, it is misleading in the case of Michael Hedges' "Aerial Boundaries." Hedges was a true visionary whose revolutionary techniques opened up the possibilities for solo acoustic guitar. His use of tapping, percussion, & looping were all years ahead and like another of his genius comtemporaries, Jaco Pastorius, died way too soon.

"Aerial Boundaries" is considered his finest album. While his jaw dropping technique is always evident, it never overwhelms the compositional beauty. Two favorite tracks of mine are his cover of Neil Young's "After The Gold Rush" and "Spare Change" - which acknowledges modern composer Steve Reich as an influence but would just as easily fit in any post Discipline King Crimson recording.

I agree that the term "New Age" became a catch all phrase that probably unfairly lumped many dissimilar artists together.
Used it by habit I guess.
Your description of his music has me looking forward to this release even more

A poster at another forum was told by AF that these listings are mistakes; that this disc will not be released until some time in 2016.

This was always an astonishing AND beautiful record. Well recorded and quite detailed, it captured that jaw-dropping variety of sounds he came up with rather well.

Looking forward to this.

Announced today as part of the October 2015 release from Audio Fidelity. Aerial Boundaries by Michael Hedges on Hybrid Stereo SACD.

Aerial Boundaries - October 2015.png

This album was mixed digitally, and five of the nine tracks were recorded direct to 2-track digital. Given the year this was done (1984), this would have been a 16 bit 48 Khz recording. I can't imagine the SACD will sound any better than the CD.

Oh, no, if Steve-o remasters it, it will be like a whole new recording with more bits and khz.

Oh, no, if Steve-o remasters it, it will be like a whole new recording with more bits and khz.

Kevin Gray did the Vinyl LP edition of this album for Audio Fidelity. I think he will be doing the SACD edition as well.

For anyone that bought this how does it compare to the original release Windham Hill Records WD-1032 CD?

Back